Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-12-2015, 01:52 AM   #21
Hes
Eye Guy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I really loved Boyhood. It was long but it felt like I was part of the family. It was so odd to think that I was seeing a kid grow up in front of my eyes.
Just finished this one. It made me anxious and excited to watch my boys grow up. Really gets you absorbed into a family where not much actually happened. Highly recommended.
Hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #22
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Recently watched Dallas Buyers club, really enjoyed it but didn't understand all that aids crap. Really wish they could have stuck with the crazy electrician who does rodeo on the side.
hahaha! Almost spit out my drink reading this. Well done, sir.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #23
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Just finished this one. It made me anxious and excited to watch my boys grow up. Really gets you absorbed into a family where not much actually happened. Highly recommended.
I thought a lot happened, not a lot of violence or grandiosity but still, he had quite an eventful life.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #24
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone else watched Snowpiercer? Had never even heard of it until it showed up on SVOD. Pretty decent film and has some good reviews, although it did seem to drag on a little towards the end.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #25
Harry Lime
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On the last thread there was a bit of a love/hate relationship with Snowpiercer. I appreciate that they took some chances on that movie that you usually don't see in something with a budget that size.

As for Boyhood, I wonder if I would have liked it more if I had kids. That would actually explain a lot of the affection that people have for that film, whereas I was sort of 'watch it once, appreciate the effort it took, move on'.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #26
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You are comparing fiction with non-fiction though.
That's great but I don't go into a movie thinking of excuses for it.

The romantic side of his life was very poorly done in that movie. Just felt like filler. Devoting time to it in the manner they did (flashbacks) also took out time to develop the other facets of the story more which made it even worse.

I was expecting Beautiful Mind. Instead it felt like I was watching a clip show.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #27
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
That's great but I don't go into a movie thinking of excuses for it..
Did you miss his point? I think you missed his point.

He was saying that The Imitation Game is a real story and Saving Private Ryan, isn't. Don't see an excuse being made.

Also, it's good not going into a movie with excuses ready but it's also a good idea not to go in with expectations. Especially expectations of what you feel a movie should be.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #28
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Did you miss his point? I think you missed his point.

He was saying that The Imitation Game is a real story and Saving Private Ryan, isn't. Don't see an excuse being made.

Also, it's good not going into a movie with excuses ready but it's also a good idea not to go in with expectations. Especially expectations of what you feel a movie should be.
Yes I understand the difference between fiction and non-fiction. What I mean is just cause I know something is based on a true story doesn't mean I all of the sudden excuse poor storytelling.

Having the expectations was probably a mistake but the things was nominated for Best Picture. Sort of hard to shake.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #29
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
That's great but I don't go into a movie thinking of excuses for it.

The romantic side of his life was very poorly done in that movie. Just felt like filler. Devoting time to it in the manner they did (flashbacks) also took out time to develop the other facets of the story more which made it even worse.

I was expecting Beautiful Mind. Instead it felt like I was watching a clip show.

That's not an excuse. There are only so many liberties you can take wit a true story and remain authentic. Saving Private Ryan is a completely fictitious story by Spielberg and he could inject whatever he wanted into his story.

The Imitation Game is trying to tell the true story of a brilliant mathematician and his wartime achievements, that until recently were largely unknown to the public as well as the inhumane treatment he faced after. Still while it is mostly about what he accomplished with his team. His post-war treatment needs context to those who didn't know Turing's story. What could you really change about the movie? Ignore everything about his lifestyle and then as an epilogue, "was totally gay, chose chemical castration vs prison for being gay, and then killed himself, the end". I mean. his postwar treatment was a big deal, but his role in cracking Enigma was the point, I think. I am not sure how they could have told the sorry any better. My complaint is how they wrote Kiera Knightley's character in that kind of "I am going to surprise you all the time with how smart I am.... for a girl".

Why would you expect it to be anything like a Beautiful Mind?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #30
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If anyone wants a good action/thriller flick, see the Guest. It's beautifully shot and it's a great throwback to 80's action/horror movies
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #31
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Watched The Raid & The Raid 2 last night. Awesome movies. Some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #32
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went and saw Furious 7 last night. They are becoming more and more like comic book movies.

I mean, I know they're supposed to be silly action movies, but they're really starting to push the limits of lunacy and impossible character survival situations. I lost track of how many times we had a 'person jumps out of a super fast moving car and is completely unharmed' moments.

Looking to sell your old iPhone or get a great deal buying a new one? Check out Orchard
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #33
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

just watched The Bounty with Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson. It's supposed to be more historically accurate than the previous movies about the mutiny (I believe it). Beautifully filmed, good soundtrack by Vangelis, early film for Liam Neeson and Daniel Day-Lewis, and Hopkins is great as Bligh (there's lots of boobs, too). A shame more people haven't seen it.

- Frank Zappa

Last edited by Puppet Guy; 04-14-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 11:07 PM   #34
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching the Scientology documentary, "Going Clear".
Would definitely recommend.
Not a fan of bashing any religion and try to keep a "to each their own", but holy fata there are some crazy mofos out there.
JonDuke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #35
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Watched Swearnet the other night. Would have been way better if I was drunk with buddies, but not intolerable otherwise.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #36
Hes
Eye Guy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Just finished watching the Scientology documentary, "Going Clear".
Would definitely recommend.
Not a fan of bashing any religion and try to keep a "to each their own", but holy fata there are some crazy mofos out there.
I think when you cross the line to a cult then Bash away.
Hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #37
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Furious 7 has passed 1.1 billion around the world. Could realistically end at 1.4 billion.

Can you imagine telling someone in 2001 that the little street racing movie they were working on would turn into one the most successful movie franchises of all time?
Old 04-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #38
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

#7 highest grossing movie worldwide of all time. It's no longer fathomable the amount of money this movie is making.

They don't have a worldwide list adjusted for inflation but Furious is doing huge numbers overseas. Domestically adjusted for inflation it has not broken the top 200.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #39
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

And for what it's worth because I always find these lists interesting... top 20 domestic movies adjusted to the average ticket price in 2015. You can really see how bad IMAX and inflation skewed Avatar.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #40
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
And for what it's worth because I always find these lists interesting... top 20 domestic movies adjusted to the average ticket price in 2015. You can really see how bad IMAX and inflation skewed Avatar.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
Then again Gone With The Wind is extremely skewed as back then entertainment options were extremely limited compared to today, it had far less competition in the "blockbuster" department, and it ran in theaters for years
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote