Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Leftovers TV Series: HBO

The Leftovers is an American television drama series created by Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta airing on HBO. It is based on Perrotta's novel of the same name.[1] The pilot was written by Lindelof and Perrotta, and directed by Peter Berg.[2] The series stars Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston, Liv Tyler, and Ann Dowd. It premiered on HBO on June 29, 2014.[3]

The Leftovers takes place in the wake of a global "Rapture" and centers on the people who were not taken but were left behind in a suburban community.[1] Revolves around mysterious disappearances, world-wide, and specifically follows a group of people who are left behind in the suburban community of Mapleton. They must begin to rebuild their lives after the loss of more than 100 people.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

First episode was intriguing. There will be a lot of pitfalls to avoid but HBO has been turning out some of the best television lately (GoT and True Detective coming to mind for dramas, Veep and Silicon Valley for comedies) so I imagine this will be on my pvr for a while.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Damon Lindelof?

Expect this to end badly, with as many holes and loose ends as you can imagine. Even if it's based of a book, he'll find a way. Damon can't tie up a story for his life.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Ahhh, in reading his bio I see what you are talking about.

Well fingers crossed the series isn't really stupid in the third season
Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really interesting concept, but I thought the first episode was just aight. I'll definitely give it a couple more episodes to decide.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Peter Berg... Ugh!
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I give it a 7 out of 10. Will give it a couple more episodes to see if it improves.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Peter Berg... Ugh!
Peter berg gave us one of the best sports movies ever made but then he also did Hancock and Battleship. There's some decent vision in there, but it only comes out once In awhile.

Thought the premiere was decent, I liked the feel of the show, but not sure how much staying power a show like this has. If this were on ABC, I wouldn't give it a full look, but this is HBO.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #9
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were looking forward to this new series. So far it has fallen short but I will give a couple more to see if they can hook me if not oh well. So far it was just odd with not much to grab my attention so far.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:03 AM   #10
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

It kind of reminds me of "Under The Dome". I didn't like that show at all. If you can turn off the "disappearance factor" and look at it from the human aspect, that they are trying desperately to get you attached to, then it could be a decent story. But I'm having trouble getting there.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 AM   #11
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

It definitely has the potential of becoming like 'Under the Dome' or similar shows/movies. That's what I meant when I said it has a lot of pitfalls to avoid.

So far though, all you have to get over is the premise. If they can stay within their own rules, it will be fine. The problem with Under the Dome and similar shows is that they often stop making sense even in THEIR universe. I don't mind a strangle or unbelievable premise (zombies anyone?) as long as it doesn't break its own rules (going with the zombie example again, Walking Dead is becoming somewhat guilty of this) or you don't start getting a lot of Deus Ex Machina type stuff. So we'll see what happens.

It does appear like it will have far better acting than a lot of those shows though.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:32 AM   #12
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
It definitely has the potential of becoming like 'Under the Dome' or similar shows/movies. That's what I meant when I said it has a lot of pitfalls to avoid.

So far though, all you have to get over is the premise. If they can stay within their own rules, it will be fine. The problem with Under the Dome and similar shows is that they often stop making sense even in THEIR universe. I don't mind a strangle or unbelievable premise (zombies anyone?) as long as it doesn't break its own rules (going with the zombie example again, Walking Dead is becoming somewhat guilty of this) or you don't start getting a lot of Deus Ex Machina type stuff. So we'll see what happens.

It does appear like it will have far better acting than a lot of those shows though.
Most definitely. I was thinking about the characters and how they are acting. At first I thought it was a bit forced, and that they were trying too hard, but then I thought about how I acted when I lost so much. It does make more sense using that empathy. The direction is well done, and the acting is certainly better than the network brand. I also really enjoy the diversity of the actors. It has a real town feel.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I absolutely loved the pilot episode and can hardly wait to watch the next one. I thought it was beautifully shot despite some of the surroundings not always being that pretty. I was pleasently surprised by the way they didnt explain everything right away with forced exposition which allowed me to apply my own interpretation of the characters motives. I've watched it three times already and am so extremely interested in where this might go, its my new favorite show by far.
Iceman57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strange two episodes so far.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #15
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Really good episode tonight.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Really good episode tonight.
i had no problems with the episode, but i do get worrisome when entire episodes focus on 1 character. it seems especially early in the series to go for such an idea. the walking dead did that this past spring and i think it was a much weaker form of story telling than just spreading out the stories over a couple of weeks but having multiple story lines at any one time.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #17
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #18
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
NSFW!
Spoiler!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Liv Tyler gave an interview recently. In it she said something that you may not want to hear

Spoiler!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #20
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
NSFW!

I think it's because people are making them out to be heroes when many of them were bad bad people and to him, if it was truly the rapture, then why wasn't he taken and why is stuck in a 'living hell' losing his church and his wife?

I think he can't reconcile his faith and the events that are unfolding.