Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #41
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me that BB value is a little bit of "so what"........personally i'd say that market price less $1,000 or so is what you can expect to pay, assuming that you are buying a vehicle for $15,000 or more.

but what do i know......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #42
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Thanks!

I guess there is no harm (besides the moola). So what is the best place to determine the book value? I tried Canadian Black Book but it was kind of a joke IMO. Any other free sites out there?
This site is useful. But the best way to get an idea of what a car is worth is to find several like cars for sale. Kelly Blue Book is U.S. based, but do a search and then read up on the reviews. EXAMPLE. Getting feedback from actual owners is a great way to find out in general how good a make/model is.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #43
red sky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Comparing it against similar cars for sale is a good start. What kind of car and what year? Maybe somebody on here could help.
I am looking at this CR-V for the wife:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CR-...ms=trucks_vans

Low KM, fully loaded. Bulding brand new is around $40,000 so it appears that it is aggressively priced. Then again, it doesn't account for the GST.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #44
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a little bit of surface rust in the wheel well of my car and I want to get it fixed before it gets worse. It's probably 1/2" x 1" in size. I assume a body shop is the way to go right? I'm not interested in fixing it myself as I would probably make it worse. What should I expect for cost? It's a Mazda 3.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #45
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd get rid of the car while you still can. Mazdas are famous for rust (just google "mazda rust" and you'll see how many people have issues). If it were me, as soon as I saw a sign of rust, I'd take it as a sign to move on.

Last edited by Table 5; 06-24-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #46
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'd get rid of the car while you still can. Mazdas are famous for rust (just google "mazda rust" and you'll see how many people have issues). If it were me, as soon as I saw a sign of rust, I'd take it as a sign to move on.
Well that isn't exactly the most cost effective option, haha. You weren't kidding though, found lots of other people that have rust problems in the exact same spot as mine. Also found out that my car has a 5 year rust protection warranty. So I am going to take it into the dealership on Monday and I'll go from there.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #47
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, definitely hold Mazda responsible if it's still under warranty. There is no reason any newer car today should have rust issues so often, but for some reason Mazda is stuck in the 80's on this front. Great cars, but this one issue is definitely their achilles heel.

Either way though, I'd definitely use this as a warning sign and start planning a way out, even if it's not right away. As Neil said....rust never sleeps.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #48
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The corrosion warranty specifies "perforation", so unless there is hole in the body, you won't get warranty coverage. And even if there is daylight showing through, the auto maker will probably do everything in their power to avoid fixing the problem.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #49
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
I am looking at this CR-V for the wife:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CR-...ms=trucks_vans

Low KM, fully loaded. Bulding brand new is around $40,000 so it appears that it is aggressively priced. Then again, it doesn't account for the GST.
Here's an '09 for $25K at the Honda dealership on Anderson and MacLeod with just 10,000 more kms than the one you're looking. You'd save over $5K on this one versus the one you found. http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ291123878

Here's a 2010 for $27K (not sure of kms). http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ238959862

That's just from the first page of Kijiji. The one you are looking at doesn't seem like a particularly good deal. Make sure you negotiate down on any of these if you buy one!

Last edited by Sliver; 06-24-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #50
red sky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Here's an '09 for $25K at the Honda dealership on Anderson and MacLeod with just 10,000 more kms than the one you're looking. You'd save over $5K on this one versus the one you found. http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ291123878

Here's a 2010 for $27K (not sure of kms). http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ238959862

That's just from the first page of Kijiji. The one you are looking at doesn't seem like a particularly good deal. Make sure you negotiate down on any of these if you buy one!
The first one is an LX, so just the base model. The one I showed is the EX-L with navigation.

The second one is from Haber Suzuki so it is a US vehicle. I have looked at Haber as their prices are really good but with the Honda I wouldn't have a warranty.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #51
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The first one is an LX, so just the base model. The one I showed is the EX-L with navigation.
Considering you can buy an amazing Nav that's probably better than what's in the car (3-4 year difference in tech can be huge) for 200-300 bucks, I'm not sure I'd use the nav option to justify a $5000 difference...though I'm sure there are other perks too. While it might be a necessity for your wife, I always though it was one of the bigger wastes of money when shopping for a new car.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #52
red sky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Considering you can buy an amazing Nav that's probably better than what's in the car (3-4 year difference in tech can be huge) for 200-300 bucks, I'm not sure I'd use the nav option to justify a $5000 difference...though I'm sure there are other perks too. While it might be a necessity for your wife, I always though it was one of the bigger wastes of money when shopping for a new car.
Definitely don't need the NAV, but the EX-L definitely gives you way more options (leather, power & heated seats, better sound system, blue tooth). I hear what you are saying though, that is why I am torn on this.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #53
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, definitely depends on your priorities....I'm sure heated seats are pretty nice in Calgary, I guess it depends on how much all that is worth to you. Personally, I'd take that 5k and use it to finance a couple of really nice vacations somewhere, but for other's a toasty ass is a better use of money.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #54
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Are you not in the textile industry

3M Super 77 adhesive. Try http://www.thistothat.com/

GreatWhiteEbola...

that 3m super 77 is SICK!!!! it worked awesome!!! i have to laugh - i think 95% of the time it took to do the job was removing all the plastic trim stuff from inside my cab - the actual "re-sticking" of the fabric went pretty quick!

thanks again

ok - another question... at some point in the near future, i'd like to replace my seats. i've got an '89 chev 1500, standard cab - does anyone know what 'other' seats will fit properly into my truck.

my main requirement is that the seats have a head rest - if i get rear ended i don't want the back of my skull going thru my back window. my truck has 2 bucket seats with a center console between them

some of my hockey buddies thought that honda civic seats would work

does anyone know of a "this vehicle is compatible with these seats" webpage?

cheers

chris
Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #55
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

So here's the pickle I'm in, and need a little advice.

It looks like the little lady and I are moving back to Canada for at least a year or two, and I'm wondering if it would make sense to buy a new car and import it back there. I've been looking at ordering a new 2012 BMW 128i (which is more ore less my ideal car at this stage in my life), which I can buy for about 29-30k here (would be around 39k in Canada). The best part is that I would be able to take advantage of European Delivery.....pick up the car in Munich, drive around for a couple of weeks and then have it shipped back free. The timing couldn't be more perfect, as we're getting married and can use this for a honeymoon.

Taxes/Duty etc to import the car to Canada would be about 4k, but BMW has about 2-3k worth of bull#### modification charges to be able to transfer the Canadian warranty. You don't have to do it, but then I might have to drive to the US if anything major comes up.

So here are my options:

1) Buy the car here and use the European Delivery.
Positives: Have a great Euro-Delivery experience, and get the exact car I want (for some reason Canada doesn't carry the color I REALLY want, and i wouldnt be able to order the sunroof). Save about 3-4k if I dont do BMW mods.
Negatives: Hassle of importation, and questionable warranty in Canada if I don't bend over for BMW (or do mods and don't really save that much). Have to buy it in full, so no finance/lease options.

2)Wait and buy something in Canada.
Positives: No import hassles, and no warranty issues. Open to lease/finance options.
Negatives: Don't have the car I want in the color i really want, and in the end would probably end up buying something cheaper as Im not sure I can justify 40k for a 1-series.

3)Stick it out with my Saab 9-3 (personal favorite of burn_this_city!).
Positives: Save money (unless it craps out).
Negatives: Dont have the pleasure of owning a dream car and no European Delivery.

What would you do? The financially responsible side of me knows the answer is #2 or #3, but the risk-taking, car-loving part of me is hoping for #1!
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #56
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Anyone have recommendations for transmission rebuild shops? I have an old '94 Explorer with a busted tranny, so I think I might just take it out and bring it to a shop and have it rebuilt. I haven't really called around anywhere yet to see if it's even worth my time to take it out and put it in myself, but I know for damn sure that rebuilding a transmission is not something I am capable of doing.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Anyone have recommendations for transmission rebuild shops? I have an old '94 Explorer with a busted tranny, so I think I might just take it out and bring it to a shop and have it rebuilt. I haven't really called around anywhere yet to see if it's even worth my time to take it out and put it in myself, but I know for damn sure that rebuilding a transmission is not something I am capable of doing.
I think my mechanic friend recommends:

Ram's Transmission & Auto Service

2818 17 Avenue Southeast, Calgary, AB

http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 06-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #58
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

It looks like the little lady and I are moving back to Canada for at least a year or two, and I'm wondering if it would make sense to buy a new car and import it back there. I've been looking at ordering a new 2012 BMW 128i (which is more ore less my ideal car at this stage in my life), which I can buy for about 29-30k here (would be around 39k in Canada). The best part is that I would be able to take advantage of European Delivery.....pick up the car in Munich, drive around for a couple of weeks and then have it shipped back free. The timing couldn't be more perfect, as we're getting married and can use this for a honeymoon.

Taxes/Duty etc to import the car to Canada would be about 4k, but BMW has about 2-3k worth of bull#### modification charges to be able to transfer the Canadian warranty. You don't have to do it, but then I might have to drive to the US if anything major comes up.

So here are my options:

Positives: Have a great Euro-Delivery experience, and get the exact car I want (for some reason Canada doesn't carry the color I REALLY want, and i wouldnt be able to order the sunroof). Save about 3-4k if I dont do BMW mods.
Negatives: Hassle of importation, and questionable warranty in Canada if I don't bend over for BMW (or do mods and don't really save that much). Have to buy it in full, so no finance/lease options.

Positives: No import hassles, and no warranty issues. Open to lease/finance options.
Negatives: Don't have the car I want in the color i really want, and in the end would probably end up buying something cheaper as Im not sure I can justify 40k for a 1-series.

Negatives: Dont have the pleasure of owning a dream car and no European Delivery.

What would you do? The financially responsible side of me knows the answer is #2 or #3, but the risk-taking, car-loving part of me is hoping for #1!
My fiscal responsibility goes out the door for two things, cars, and European vacations.

#1!!!!

Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #59
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Table5 - could you get a 135 a year or two old for the price of a new 128? I've driven a Dinan chipped 135 and that thing was a rocket. I couldn't even look at a 128 after that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #60
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So here are my options:

Option 1, but 335i instead of 128i (at least 135i, go turbo!). The modifications can be done cheaper than what BMW wants, so long as you don't get idrive. Any BMW mechanic can turn on the dtrls electronically. Get the recall letter from your dealer state side, I believe all you'd have to pay is out of province inspection.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote