Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Ongoing General Automotive Thread

Hey CP! So, I did some searching around and didn't see an all encompassing automotive thread on CP. We have a used salesman thread, specific car/truck/etc threads, but nothing like a general automotive thread. I thought I'd take a stab at starting one, so here it is.

I think of this thread as a place where you can ask anything automotive related, be it "owners of 1982 Lada 1300's, tell me your experience", to "how do I change the pitman arm on my car", to "my car sounds is making X sounds, what does this mean?".

So I'll start this off with my question: I'd like to hear from Ford Escape owners on their experiences so far with this vehicle. Good, bad, ugly, whatever.

Go ahead and add your own question, thought, pictures, whatever!

Last edited by woob; 10-20-2011 at 10:24 AM.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Queue Dion...

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

here's one...

the 'ceiling fabric' in my truck is letting go... does anyone know of a good product to use to 're-stick' it to the roof of the cab?

cheers
Old 06-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Hey CP! So, I did some searching around and didn't seen an all encompassing automotive thread on CP. We have a used salesman thread, specific car/truck/etc threads, but nothing like a general automotive thread. I thought I'd take a stab at starting one, so here it is.

I think of this thread as a place where you can ask anything automotive related, be it "owners of 1982 Lada 1300's, tell me your experience", to "how do I change the pitman arm on my car", to "my car sounds is making X sounds, what does this mean?".

So I'll start this off with my question: I'd like to hear from Ford Escape owners on their experiences so far with this vehicle. Good, bad, ugly, whatever.

I drive a 05 Escape and love it. Mine has 110,000 kms and has been quite reliable. Other than standard maintinence such as oil changes, new tires and tranny flushes it's been trouble free. Would buy another one when it's time to trade this one in.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
here's one...

the 'ceiling fabric' in my truck is letting go... does anyone know of a good product to use to 're-stick' it to the roof of the cab?

cheers
Are you not in the textile industry

3M Super 77 adhesive. Try http://www.thistothat.com/

Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
WesternCanadaKing
Giver of Calculators

Exp:

This thread is good timing, I need some advice on what has turned into a reoccurring problem with my van. Its a 98 Sienna I got from my stepdad about a year ago, he drove it for 12 years without any major issue. The second day I have it the key won't turn the ignition. Ended up calling AMA and they towed it to the Toyota dealership near my house because they thought work would have to be done on it. However, the dealership just gave me a new key and that turned it on right away. That worked fine for a year but today it happened again, and once again a new key was able to turn it on. Should I think about getting a new ignition anyway, or chalk it all up to worn out keys?
WesternCanadaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Are you not in the textile industry

3M Super 77 adhesive. Try http://www.thistothat.com/

embroidery industry, not textile.

i know lots about jerseys/caps/jackets/shirts/etc...

automotive upholstery - not so much .....unless you're looking for custom door/trunk panels....

Last edited by bc-chris; 06-09-2011 at 08:42 PM.
bc-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bc-chris For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a pretty unusual problem. Depends on how long you plan on keeping your Sienna, long term I would replace the ignition lock. BTW, that's a very reliable vehicle, but it is important that you service the transmission regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternCanadaKing View Post
However, the dealership just gave me a new key and that turned it on right away. That worked fine for a year but today it happened again, and once again a new key was able to turn it on. Should I think about getting a new ignition anyway, or chalk it all up to worn out keys?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
automotive upholstery - not so much .....unless you're looking for custom door/trunk panels....

I might be in the next few months, you do good work.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey CP! So, I did some searching around and didn't seen an all encompassing automotive thread on CP. We have a used salesman thread, specific car/truck/etc threads, but nothing like a general automotive thread. I thought I'd take a stab at starting one, so here it is.

One experience with an Escape. Stay out of the mud.
Barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got an 04 escape. I haven't had it long but it seems to be okay with the little driving I do. The Calgary police service was even kind enough to send me a picture of it as I was leaving town. It looks the same as Dion's in it's perp picture. I drove it out to Sask and back in April and used the 4 wheel drive once when crossing the Coquihalla in a snow storm. It seemed to work well and gave me a little more confidence. I can turn my 4 wheel drive on and off which I don't think is an option in the later models. My driveway is about 100' long uphill so I hope it will help getting out in the winter. Oh yeah, I got about 25 to 29 MPG.

Last edited by Vulcan; 06-09-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I've got an 04 escape. I haven't had it long but it seems to be okay with the little driving I do. The Calgary police service was even kind enough to send me a picture of it as I was leaving town. It looks the same as Dion's in it's perp picture. I drove it out to Sask and back in April and used the 4 wheel drive once when crossing the Coquihalla in a snow storm. It seemed to work well and gave me a little more confidence. I can turn my 4 wheel drive on and off which I don't think is an option in the later models. My driveway is about 100' long uphill so I hope it will help getting out in the winter. Oh yeah, I got about 25 to 29 MPG.
25-29 is pretty good. I think is probably directly tied to the fact that you can turn your 4WD on or off. I'd like to get into a 2006 or later, if possible but wondering if I should go 2004 for that feature. Gas mileage is definitely important to me.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am looking at getting a mazda 3 h/b GS or GT, preferably a 2010. does anyone here have any stories to share about mazdas?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
I am looking at getting a mazda 3 h/b GS or GT, preferably a 2010. does anyone here have any stories to share about mazdas?
They are fun, reliable cars, but the body starts rusting faster than it should from poor quality paint.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

If you're going to get a 2010 Mazda 3 get a 2008 or 2009 MazdaSpeed 3 for the same price. That would be 10x cooler and way more fun.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
They are fun, reliable cars, but the body starts rusting faster than it should from poor quality paint.
Mazdas are notorious for rust. I now see heavily rusted Proteges.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #18
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Mazdas are notorious for rust. I now see heavily rusted Proteges.

my wife has had 2 mazdas.... a pick up truck (b1500? i can't remember) and it was ok... except for the bumper - that thing was brutal. we replaced the old one and it wasn't long before the new one started showing rust

now she has a protege 5 - it's gotta be 7 years old now - still looks awesome - no rust at all
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If you're going to get a 2010 Mazda 3 get a 2008 or 2009 MazdaSpeed 3 for the same price. That would be 10x cooler and way more fun.
I second this. The difference between a turbo Mazda 3 and a non turbo Mazda 3 is like night and day. The only drawback is it sucks up a bit more fuel, but that's a small price to pay (IMO of course).
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
25-29 is pretty good. I think is probably directly tied to the fact that you can turn your 4WD on or off. I'd like to get into a 2006 or later, if possible but wondering if I should go 2004 for that feature. Gas mileage is definitely important to me.
That's old school Imperial gal. on the highway, your mileage may vary.
I don't know if turning the 4WD off does anything for the gas mileage compared to the later models as the way I understand it the 4 wheel drive only comes on when the wheels are slipping, so the 4 wheel drive is automatically off unless needed.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote