Interesting. Telus just launched their new PikTV platform - their pay-for-each channel service using an Android box. Currently available only in Red Deer, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Grande Prairie, Victoria, Saanich, and Prince George. If it hits major centres, it could make some noise.
Initial offer is:
- 23 free basic (local) channels + 5 "specialty channels" (like Food Network or Bravo) for $20/month + $120 up front for the PikTV box. Additional specialty channels are $4/month.
- Another $20/month gives you all TSN and Sportsnet channels.
- Another $20/month gives you HBO + Movie Network + CraveTV.
- Includes access to internet services like Netflix, Youtube, etc.
- Ability to watch content on tablet/phones.
- Ability to rent movies on-demand.
- No PVR ability.
- Bluetooth remote control with voice recognition.
- Need to buy a box for each TV.
- Watching channel content at home does not count towards internet usage.
Total channel selection is much smaller than Optik, but looks like you have access to the major ones.
I think it really wins on price point - $60/month to get all sports, HBO, CraveTV, plus your local channels and 5 specialty channels is a great deal.
If you could add a PVR feature, it could really take off.
More info here