Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #3741
speede5
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Has anyone ever imported a non-running vehicle into Canada?

I have a dream to track down an old minivan, and do a custom restoration on it.

Problem is, they are VERY rare, if not impossible to find now (30+ years old) and so I am scouring the web trying to find one. I don't really care about the condition of it, since I intend to do a bunch of work when money/time allows.

Anyway, question is kind of two-fold: has anyone imported a non-operating vehicle across the border? What if I find one that runs, can I drive it here and then NOT register it? How does that work?

Secondly, anyone know of a group/person/website where I can ask for help to try to track down a relatively plain but old vehicle? Autotrader isn't going to cut it.
https://www.riv.ca/

Almost everything you need to know is on there. If you bring a car over that isn't running make sure you bring it in as a vehicle and not a parts only, as it gets tagged non registerable. The only real caveat at the border is paperwork, title, receipt for the sale. There's lots of prep, you can hire a broker to do it all. Don't expect to show up at the border with a car you just bought and bring it right over.

Lot's of people bring cars in with no issues but you have do do the prep work. The site tells you just about everything you need to know.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #3742
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Did I have to order it from the factory? Probably not. I likely could have found something around town that was pretty close to what I wanted, though I wasn't having much luck. I've got the black exterior, the black accent package (almost never found on a black car to begin with) and then a straight black interior (most were the black/red combo). So I didn't have to order it from the factory...but I also realized, if I was going to pay this kind of money for it, the advice given here was solid. I didn't want to compromise. I was also able to wait the time period out. While my Mazda had died, my family can make do (mostly) with one vehicle. So I thought "Might as well make sure it's exactly what I want."

The color palette...so many choices. I almost went with Ruby Red or Lightening Blue, but in the end, Shadow Black won out.
I totally agree with you about not settling. I assumed that there would be plenty of black GT's available around Western Canada for any dealer to pluck. I'm surprised that many had the red interiors as when I bought my 2012 I recall only seeing mostly red interiors with the white cars but maybe that's a more standard package in 2017. Any way congrats on your purchase as I miss my 2012. Such fun cars to hoon around in.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #3743
speede5
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Black on black is downright nasty, But a red interior on black is gorgeous. Very retro look too. It would be so hard too choose but i think i'd swing towards red.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #3744
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly someone should probably buy that car off Pylon's lot.
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #3745
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Not enough coats of yellow. I only do quad and up.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #3746
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, and the extra fun 3.73s add is not to be underestimated. I put them in my '87 and it made that thing insane. The smoke shows it would do were bonkers.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #3747
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my dad just bought a new Corvette, and the hood alignment is absolutely Chevy-esque.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place that can re-align it?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #3748
Canehdianman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, and the extra fun 3.73s add is not to be underestimated. I put them in my '87 and it made that thing insane. The smoke shows it would do were bonkers.
My 2 year old and 8 month old would think that was pretty awesome.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #3749
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
So my dad just bought a new Corvette, and the hood alignment is absolutely Chevy-esque.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place that can re-align it?
Ummmmmm.... His local Chevy dealer. That will be covered by warranty. Also it is a full carbon fiber hood on the car, so you would want Chevy to take the responsibility in case a bolt is over torqued, or stripped out of the weave.

My car had a few fitment issues and they tidied them up no questions asked under warranty. You have to remember, although not a fully hand built car, Corvettes are somewhere in between a 2017 Civic LX fully automated robot build, and a Bentley full hand build. Cars like that always have a few issues, even the best of them.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #3750
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
My 2 year old and 8 month old would think that was pretty awesome.
To be honest, they actually would. Nothing makes a kid giggle uncontrollably like pinning their weak little bodies to a seat with gobs of horsepower and torque. I had a couple uncles into the amateur competitive drag racing scene, and had some legit mega muscle cars. Stuff pushing 6-700 horsepower. NOTHING was cooler than a visit to their places as a kid and getting to go out in a decaled up Charger with window nets for a couple 5 gallon wasting pulls down some back country road.

But I get where you're at. It's not the type of car for your lifestyle.... right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #3751
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
To be honest, they actually would. Nothing makes a kid giggle uncontrollably like pinning their weak little bodies to a seat with gobs of horsepower and torque. I had a couple uncles into the amateur competitive drag racing scene, and had some legit mega muscle cars. Stuff pushing 6-700 horsepower. NOTHING was cooler than a visit to their places as a kid and getting to go out in a decaled up Charger with window nets for a couple 5 gallon wasting pulls down some back country road.

But I get where you're at. It's not the type of car for your lifestyle.... right now.
While I can see the allure, taking the kids for a rip on a motorcycle is about the same.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #3752
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
While I can see the allure, taking the kids for a rip on a motorcycle is about the same.
Yeah, I know. But we grew up in the 70's/80's. Things were quite a bit different. That same uncle used to take me out on his big Chopper too. In front of him, between the seat and gas tank, with a Cooper hockey helmet lol.

In fact I'm pretty sure he's the sole reason I turned into such a frikking gear head. Outside of my dad, he was the coolest human alive in my 8 year old eyes.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #3753
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how much do you think a new starter should be if you took it to a shop, including diagnosis? I had a quote for $680 lol, including solenoid replacement (91 town car). The reason given for the price was that these parts are old and hard to find. Are Ford cop car / cab parts all that rare now?

Anyway, I got him down to $500 which seems better, thankfully!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #3754
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds expensive...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-MOTO...-/272323242774

You could track one down yourself and just pay for install.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #3755
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd just replace the starter solenoid and see if that fixes it, I had a 5 liter mustang that ate solenoids.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #3756
dubc80
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
So how much do you think a new starter should be if you took it to a shop, including diagnosis? I had a quote for $680 lol, including solenoid replacement (91 town car). The reason given for the price was that these parts are old and hard to find. Are Ford cop car / cab parts all that rare now?

Anyway, I got him down to $500 which seems better, thankfully!
I thought I needed a new starter a few weeks ago and the quotes I was getting were in the $500 range.

Turns out I only needed a new battery.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #3757
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the responses. Yeah $500 seemed a lot better, aka your average trip to the shop. I suck at cars in general and apparently it's working now with the new starter. Had checked everything else with AMA, etc.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #3758
speede5
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

200 for a starter and 30 for a solenoid plus an hour labor. so ~$350 is what I would expect.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #3759
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The starter on my wife's old car was 8 or 9 hours book time.

I decided to do it myself and found out that estimate was accurate.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #3760
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

So I added another car to the fleet. So this nice lady comes in and wants to trade in a Buick Allure. What's this 'Super' badge on it? Must be the trim level? Fancier leather? OK, no biggie, I'll take a look. Anyway, I'm walking around this thing, and something seems.... off. I can't put my finger on it. Whatever. Let's jump in and drive this thing. Start it up. Wow, this as a lumpy, yet creamy burble to the exhaust note. Must have a hole in the muffler. Pull it around the corner, and this thing pulls away like a freaking freight train to Grampa HELL! Me and the sales guy are laughing our asses off at the power this thing is putting down. Like this thing is pulling like it has a bloody LS V8 in it.

We get back to the dealership, and we pop the hood. This thing has a Fata'ing 300 HP 335/ft/lb, all aluminum 5.3L LS4 V8. So I start googling. The Allure 'Super' (aka the Lacrosse 'Super' in the US) is a ultra low production, limited run, GM Performance division model that's the fastest Buick since the 87 GNX. This thing has a 157 MPH top speed. 157, Buick sedan. Run to 60 in 5.5 secs, and lay down a low 13s 1/4 mile. That's a 4000 lb Grampa buick that will go 254 KPH, unmodded out of the box. This thing is the ultimate sleeper.

Anyway, we take this thing on trade, and I just have to have it. Block to block, this thing is a beast. An Octanegarian, never be late for the early bird special, LOL, your MUGEN power, Sparco decalled, Type R just got wasted by a Betty White Mobile jacked upp on Ensure. Sometimes there's cars so weird and unique... you have to own them.

CP meet my new Highway cruiser. 1/139 built in 2009, Pylons, 2009 Buick Allure/Lacrosse SUPER..... Supes.

Last edited by pylon; 04-21-2017 at 11:51 AM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: