Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #2641
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Everything about the movie was Japanese. Except played by white people.
I think they prefer the term 'less-tanned Orientals.'
Old 04-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #2642
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everything about the movie was Japanese. Except played by white people.

Hmm. Well not to take away from the complaint, but it wasn't like they picked just b-list white people actors for the voices of the main characters, while highly recognized Japanese actors were not utilized. Nearly all of them were Oscar winners.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #2643
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I have no problem with the quality of actors. I'm not even offended by the obvious whitewashing.

But considering there are at least a half dozen big budget movies that have bombed in the last 5 years and the primary reason given is that they suffered from whitewashing controversies (I guess it was just a coincidence they were all terrible), I was just pointing out I hadn't heard anything about Kubo.

But apparently it was a big deal and it could be added to the list of movies with casting controversies that flopped.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #2644
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was actually pretty par for the course as far as Laika stop-motion movies go:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi.../?id=laika.htm

I don't think people didn't not see it because of some perceived 'controversy' (which there was none, that's why you can't find it). They didn't see it because people just don't come out to these types of movies, no matter how good they are.

Looking to sell your old iPhone or get a great deal buying a new one? Check out Orchard
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #2645
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

No I just hadn't heard of the controversy. I found dozens of articles online that informed me that there was a controversy.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #2646
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any articles about Kung Fu Panda? I mean, if people are going to accuse a movie of white washing a bunch of anthropomorphized animals and insects, that would probably rank pretty higher up on that list.

Anyway, I don't think the box office failure was anything controversial in nature, it was just poorly marketed and without the merchandise hype of your typical Disney/Pixar film.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #2647
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no problem with the quality of actors. I'm not even offended by the obvious whitewashing.

But considering there are at least a half dozen big budget movies that have bombed in the last 5 years and the primary reason given is that they suffered from whitewashing controversies (I guess it was just a coincidence they were all terrible), I was just pointing out I hadn't heard anything about Kubo.
A great many movies have casting 'controversies' these days, and a great many movies bomb. Drawing some kind of correlation between the two is next to impossible.

Quote:
But apparently it was a big deal and it could be added to the list of movies with casting controversies that flopped.
The internet has hopelessly confused any context for 'big deal.' A dozen comments on twitter and a few blogs, followed by an article in Salon, all collectively read by 0.5 per cent of the population of North America, seems to constitute a controversy these days.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #2648
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A great many movies have casting 'controversies' these days, and a great many movies bomb. Drawing some kind of correlation between the two is next to impossible.
Tell that to the studios and media who are making the correlation.

Quote:
The internet has hopelessly confused any context for 'big deal.' A dozen comments on twitter and a few blogs, followed by an article in Salon, all collectively read by 0.5 per cent of the population of North America, seems to constitute a controversy these days.
These controversies are making headlines. The internet is not a sentient being, it has no collective sense of big deal. Just because you don't think it is valid, doesn't make it fake.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #2649
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if the same people that complain about this complain that every foreign animated movie set in another country, whether it's Spirited Away or A Cat in Paris, has a cast almost exclusively of native english speakers. Or whether english language movies, when dubbed into other languages, almost exclusively use actors from that region rather than native english voice actors.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #2650
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Wonder if the same people that complain about this complain that every foreign animated movie set in another country, whether it's Spirited Away or A Cat in Paris, has a cast almost exclusively of native english speakers. Or whether english language movies, when dubbed into other languages, almost exclusively use actors from that region rather than native english voice actors.
It's increasingly difficult to understand exactly what justification these sorts of people use for their complaints. The dogma certainly falls to pieces when challenged with rational principles. Though I suppose the spirit of outrage is the main appeal.

Spoiler!

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-21-2017 at 03:55 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #2651
Love
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pretty overdue, but Split and Get Out were both incredible
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 AM   #2652
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phoenix Forgotten had great build up through the entire film. Interesting format, part documentary, part found footage "horror". But also don't expect an amazing payoff.

It was really low key with advertising so probably next to no one knows about it.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 AM   #2653
savemedrzaius
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I just tried to watch Coherence (two posters on here recommended it) on Netflix. I couldn't get through 10 minutes. That acting gave me chills it was so bad. I assume it was filmed loosely around a script and the dialogue improvisation is intentional but that was hard to sit through. This is coming from a guy who almost made it to the end of Independence Day 2!

.5 out of 5 stars based on my 10 minutes of viewing.
I got to 10 minutes stopped it. Tried to come back and got another 10 minutes into it and was close to breaking my screen so turned it off.

I actually thought the acting was very good and seemed really realistic. The problem I had was I hated all the people and couldn't stand to hear them talk anymore.

Talk about pretentious, vacuous conversations. Those are the type of parties I avoid at all costs so there is no way I'm forcing myself to listen to these people rattle on and on.
savemedrzaius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #2654
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was able to catch Fubar at the Globe last week as part of the Calgary Underground Film Festival. It is a mockumentary about the lives of two headbangers in Calgary, filmed on an extremely low budget here in and around the city. I went in with no expectations, and was blown away. It is fantastic. Very funny and even heartwarming. One of the lead actors was at the screening and had a Q&A session afterwards. He said every line but one was ad-libbed. Most of the actors were friends/family, with the exception of locals who didn't know the documentary being filmed was fictional.

I've heard Fubar 2 is as good as (if not better) than the first, so looking forward to tracking it down.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #2655
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Gifted tonight. I really enjoyed it. Good performance by Chris Evans and the little girl was awesome.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #2656
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I didn't mind Passengers, but it was very different from what I thought it would be. They marketed it as more of an action type movie, but it really wasn't.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #2657
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
I didn't mind Passengers, but it was very different from what I thought it would be. They marketed it as more of an action type movie, but it really wasn't.
I enjoyed it, it was kind of 'The Shining' in space.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:16 AM   #2658
snootchiebootchies
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Watched The Lost City of Z this weekend and really enjoyed it. The film is about the English explorer Percy Fawcett and his obsessive search for an ancient city in the rainforests of Brazil that he called Z. The film is directed by the great James Gray (who also adapted the book upon which the film is based), who in my mind is a genius but continues to work in relative obscurity in the US. His films are typically set in New York City and tend to be small, inward, personal, and gritty and but his visuals are lush and classical and reminiscent of Hollywood's golden age. I like describing him as a grittier version of Douglas Sirk. This film is a big departure for him as it takes place mostly in the Brazilian jungle and he is clearly working with a much bigger budget this time around. Although I wouldn't put the film on the same level as Gray's greatest films (Two Lovers, The Immigrant), it is a very enjoyable and entertaining film. But the film is a biopic after all and suffers from the unfortunate structure of the genre. But hopefully this will finally get Gray some overdue recognition.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:48 AM   #2659
Snuffleupagus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Recent movies for me.

Recommended:

Split - out of nowhere psychological thriller, James McAvoy was incredible.

Life - If you liked Alien you'll love this, skip it if it's not your style.

Hidden Figures - feel good non-fiction drama, very few films can be loved by both husband and wife, this one manages that in spades.

Not Recommended:

Gold - Even a decent performance by McConaughey and the very hot Bryce Howard couldn't save this junk, and changing the story details took any bit of interest away from Calgarians/Albertians.

The Founder - Might be just me because I knew most of the story on how McDonald's got started but I was bored to death, Michael Keaton was great as usual though.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:24 AM   #2660
FireGilbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw F8 on the weekend.

The good: some exciting action set pieces. The zombie cars and sub are two of the best in the series. I liked how they mixed things up by having the team take on Dom. Every scene with the Rock and Jason Statham was great. Also, Scott Eastwood was a solid addition to the cast replacing Paul Walker as the good looking white guy.

The bad: the action was over the top and laughable at times. The characters are invincible so there is no tension. The dialog was cringe worthy. Charlize Theron is a great actress and was a convincing villain, however I found all the hacking to be very boring. I don't go to movies to see characters typing on a keyboard. Finally, Tyrese is a horrible actor and I don't understand his role on the team other than to make dick jokes.

Conclusion: 7/10. If you don't think too hard or take it too seriously it is an entertaining film.