Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #1401
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster
 
Mazrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Gary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
]

westjet is actually overhauling their food supply this year in order to have a better selection of snacks and food on their flights. With the new Max planes they will also be offering hot food items and the 737-800 planes will be adding ovens so that hot food can be served on those flights as well. The food will be a huge improvement.
I'm guessing the cost of food will be going up accordingly? I had to chuckle when I saw what the Plus passengers got for their complementary food and it was pretty mediocre. I hope they got lots of free alcohol for that price.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #1402
TheAlpineOracle
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I'm guessing the cost of food will be going up accordingly? I had to chuckle when I saw what the Plus passengers got for their complementary food and it was pretty mediocre. I hope they got lots of free alcohol for that price.
Last time I flew to Vegas the wife and I were in Plus. I had 3 beer (6 pm flight so landing that hitting the strip), when I asked for a 4th they refused to serve me and told me 3 beers was enough for a 2.5 hour flight. So alcohol is free, to a point......
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #1403
steve9981
Farm Team Player
 
steve9981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Last time I flew to Vegas the wife and I were in Plus. I had 3 beer (6 pm flight so landing that hitting the strip), when I asked for a 4th they refused to serve me and told me 3 beers was enough for a 2.5 hour flight. So alcohol is free, to a point......
I have been on the exact flight before, landing in vegas in the evening and it is 100% at the discretion of your flight attendant. When we flew plus, our entire row shut down the bar and the attendant had to make a last call because there was only a few mini bottles of gin left. Best flight ever. He even held passengers waiting to use the washroom behind row 4.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #1404
TheAlpineOracle
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
I have been on the exact flight before, landing in vegas in the evening and it is 100% at the discretion of your flight attendant. When we flew plus, our entire row shut down the bar and the attendant had to make a last call because there was only a few mini bottles of gin left. Best flight ever. He even held passengers waiting to use the washroom behind row 4.
How can it be up to the flight attendant as to how many beers I can have that is supposed to be part of the Plus experience? I can see if I was drunk or getting tipsy but I'm a large man that can drink like a fish, 3 beers doesn't even register. The flight attendant was reading her magazine in the seat by the door when I asked though, it would have required to get her ass out of the seat. In my mind this was a pure cost/laziness decisions, not a "You've had too much" decision.

I wish I had got your flight attendant! Hopefully next time.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #1405
Maritime Q-Scout
First Line Centre
 
Maritime Q-Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: God's Country (aka Cape Breton Island)
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Last time I flew to Vegas the wife and I were in Plus. I had 3 beer (6 pm flight so landing that hitting the strip), when I asked for a 4th they refused to serve me and told me 3 beers was enough for a 2.5 hour flight. So alcohol is free, to a point......
I've done Halifax to Ottawa in Business Class which was an operational upgrade (which I'm fairly certain the flight attendant would have known) and I think the most crusty he was, was when my glass was empty. I think I had 4 beer between the time the seatbelt sign went off after takeoff, and before it went back on for landing. I didn't ask for any above the first one, but I certainly wasn't going to say no.
__________________
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #1406
TheAlpineOracle
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I've done Halifax to Ottawa in Business Class which was an operational upgrade (which I'm fairly certain the flight attendant would have known) and I think the most crusty he was, was when my glass was empty. I think I had 4 beer between the time the seatbelt sign went off after takeoff, and before it went back on for landing. I didn't ask for any above the first one, but I certainly wasn't going to say no.
I fly first class to Seattle quite a bit from Calgary (it's literally like $80 dollars more and like $30 when you factor in you don't have to check your bag). The Delta flight attendants go out of their way to serve you booze. I usually take a 7 am flight (doing it again in June for the Jays), and they are just ramming drinks down your throat the whole flight.

The last flight (November for Seahawks game) I asked for a Rum and Coke to which my wife rolled her eyes and told him not to serve me, to which he responses "It's 5 pm somewhere" and got me not one, but two rum and cokes.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #1407
polak
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Last time I flew to Vegas the wife and I were in Plus. I had 3 beer (6 pm flight so landing that hitting the strip), when I asked for a 4th they refused to serve me and told me 3 beers was enough for a 2.5 hour flight. So alcohol is free, to a point......
Were you #### faced?

I've been very drunk on flights before and have never been cut off. One time there was 3 of us flying to Vegas and me and my buddy were in the back and our other friend got screwed and was sitting alone in the front. All flight me and buddy were drinking scotch and coke after scotch and coke until they were out of scotch and when we got off the plane our buddy who was sitting alone was complaining that someone drank all the scotch. Hah whoops.

Only time I've ever got crap from a flight attendant was on the Polish Airline LOT. I got crap for drinking the beer I bought at the gate while on the flight but then the flight attendant came back after with two more beers for me to try, and it was a short flight from Krakow to Warsaw. That was the best.

Last edited by polak; 04-20-2017 at 04:03 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #1408
TheAlpineOracle
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Were you #### faced?

I've been very drunk on flights before and have never been cut off. One time there was 3 of us flying to Vegas and me and my buddy were in the back and our other friend got screwed and was sitting alone in the front. All flight me and buddy were drinking scotch and coke after scotch and coke until they were out of scotch and when we got off the plane our buddy who was sitting alone was complaining that someone drank all the scotch. Hah whoops.

Only time I've ever got crap from a flight attendant was on the Polish Airline LOT. I got crap for drinking the beer I bought at the gate while on the flight but then the flight attendant came back after with two more beers for me to try, and it was a short flight from Krakow to Warsaw. That was the best.
Not in the slightest. I would show zero signed of intoxication until about can of beer # 6 or 7, and that's just signs, not ####faced.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #1409
Amethyst
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Not a fan on this move.

A lot of comments online seem to be people who think they are getting a lower price, but the same service. I think they will be unpleasantly surprised to realize all the things you pay extra for.

To me, it doesn't make sense somewhere like Calgary. I can see the appeal in Europe, where places are close together and you could fly to another city for a day trip. If you are bringing anything more than a purse, you are not going to get the low price.

I just hope this carrier doesn't take over any of the routes I want to take.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #1410
TheAlpineOracle
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Not a fan on this move.

A lot of comments online seem to be people who think they are getting a lower price, but the same service. I think they will be unpleasantly surprised to realize all the things you pay extra for.

To me, it doesn't make sense somewhere like Calgary. I can see the appeal in Europe, where places are close together and you could fly to another city for a day trip. If you are bringing anything more than a purse, you are not going to get the low price.

I just hope this carrier doesn't take over any of the routes I want to take.
Will it even change the cost of the flight that much? Most of the cost of flying in Canada is taxes, and those won't change. Is saving $50 really worth being miserable for 2 hours? Maybe to some, but not to me.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #1411
Amethyst
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Will it even change the cost of the flight that much? Most of the cost of flying in Canada is taxes, and those won't change. Is saving $50 really worth being miserable for 2 hours? Maybe to some, but not to me.
Probably not. You will get a slight discount and a worse experience.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #1412
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I just went thru the worst security line I've seen in a while. Got there and only about 10 people in the regular line and probably another 10 at one of the three lines for X-ray. Went right to the front with my nexus but it didn't matter. It took about 30-35 minutes just to clear the line up they were feeding the nexus passengers into. Other lines had a smimilar delay. By the time I got thru the security line had about grown by about tenfold.

No reason for the delay either. It was just the slowest catsa crew ever, specifically the slow as hell people doing the carry on scanning.

Thankfully I was early enough it didn't delay me but the nexus guy in front of me, who was obviously not from Calgary and a frequent traveller, remarked what a joke our airport was.

I travel a lot and every single one of my trips starts off as a bad day because of the dumbass airport. I'm from Calgary and I bitch and moan about what a joke the airport was. Maybe you and I had a missed connection haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #1413
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Today is the inaugural flight of WestJet's YYC-Nashville route:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/W...600Z/CYYC/KBNA
Bigtime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #1414
rotten42
Crash and Bang Winger
 
rotten42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I don't mind the new airport at all. I've been through it 12 times now and every single one of my experiences has been a breeze.

Security lines moved at a decent pace and finding my gate was simple because I just used an app for gate info. US customs is much better than it was. The only two glitches were one day Air Canada's self check in were down and there was a gate change from United that wasn;t up on the board.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #1415
Lubicon
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I don't mind the new airport at all. I've been through it 12 times now and every single one of my experiences has been a breeze.

Security lines moved at a decent pace and finding my gate was simple because I just used an app for gate info. US customs is much better than it was. The only two glitches were one day Air Canada's self check in were down and there was a gate change from United that wasn;t up on the board.
Honest question here, how could there be a gate change when it is a call to gate system and they don't even announce the gate until the flight is ready for boarding? Or was the board wrong when they posted it?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #1416
Acey
Franchise Player
 
Acey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Honest question here, how could there be a gate change when it is a call to gate system and they don't even announce the gate until the flight is ready for boarding? Or was the board wrong when they posted it?
For most flights the gate gets posted 60-75 minutes prior to departure, which is way before the flight is ready for boarding. Gate changes an hour prior to departure are not uncommon at all, that's about the time frame for most gate changes as they swap aircraft or another flight goes late.

As of now, the YYC airport page is "broken" and is posting gates for the entire day. Highly doubt this will be forever.
Acey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #1417
rotten42
Crash and Bang Winger
 
rotten42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Honest question here, how could there be a gate change when it is a call to gate system and they don't even announce the gate until the flight is ready for boarding? Or was the board wrong when they posted it?

I went to the gate that was on the board and what my app said for United. Get there...no people....Hmmm? I go check Google flights and they had a different gate. I walk back to that one and the sign says my flight. I walked up to the ticket agent and let her know that they had the wrong gate info so they better make an announcement. I don;t know whose fault it was but I like to blame United. After all they lost my luggage 3 times in 2 weeks.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #1418
Acey
Franchise Player
 
Acey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I don;t know whose fault it was but I like to blame United. After all they lost my luggage 3 times in 2 weeks.
For a United gate change, it's almost surely YYC's fault. If it's an airline like Sunwing where nobody ever has any clue what is going on, then there's a higher chance it's them.
Acey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #1419
psicodude
Powerplay Quarterback
 
psicodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I went to the gate that was on the board and what my app said for United. Get there...no people....Hmmm? I go check Google flights and they had a different gate. I walk back to that one and the sign says my flight. I walked up to the ticket agent and let her know that they had the wrong gate info so they better make an announcement. I don;t know whose fault it was but I like to blame United. After all they lost my luggage 3 times in 2 weeks.
Have you tried using the TripCase app?. Awesome app that has always been spot on for delays/gate changes for me.

Overall, I am happy with the new terminal as well. Granted, I am an experienced traveller, but I don't have any issues with the call to gate thing.

I took Encore to Edmonton yesterday, and that little metal cube thing they use as the gate area for the small planes is weak sauce. It just feels unfinished and ghetto. Is that just a temporary thing?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #1420
Acey
Franchise Player
 
Acey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Is that just a temporary thing?
Short answer... yes.
Acey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016