Here is an update on some important next steps.
We have completed re-rates and the grids for the 2016/2017 season.
We have used the same package that we used last year - this is a package that is heavily weighted towards the most recent year.
Please do not compare ratings year over year though, it is irrelevant because the overall ratings package shifts year to year and based on sim settings (more on that below). The key is the relative positioning of each player to each other.
Just as we did last year, we didn't make any adjustments to these ratings - we are going with the off the shelf to eliminate any subjectivity. There may be some players that are off but that is better than the slippery slope of trying to adjust players based on "gut".
The ratings can be seen here:
CHANGES TO SIM ENGINE
One of the main frustrations weíve had ourselves, and heard from our GMs over the last number of years has been the randomness of the sim. We see examples every year where a team that on paper isnít great, really dominates. And vice versa. I believe that the sim should have randomness, but at times it seems too random. Moreover, there are specific problems like certain lines just dominating in ways that arenít realistic.
We took steps a couple years ago to lower the randomness
- Turning off the coaches
- Turning off momentum
This off-season Iíve been looking into this more, and will be making the following changes.
- Move from the 2.0 sim engine to 1.5. This is the engine, that by all accounts, produce the most consistent and realistic results Ė both in terms of team performance, but individual players. The trade off with 1.5 is that we lose some of the specific features in the 2.0 version (like 3 on 3 overtime)
- Use the sim settings as recommended by the ratings provider (this is why the OVR may have shifted year over year)
- In the ratings package, you'll notice that there are UFA and RFA grid numbers of each player. These are the grids for this off-season. If a player is signed for this upcoming season - you don't need to worry about it. If a player is a free agent and 29 or over - use the UFA grids. 28 and under - the RFA grids.
- The grids have been adjusted to be higher this season particularly for UFAs
- We got input from GMs that they were concerned that higher RFA grids would actually hurt asset poor teams as they would not be able to re-sign their players. We've made the 1 year deals relatively good deals still, but the 2 and 3 year deals have more of a premium now than in past years - so teams have to figure out if they want to commit or not.
- As always, if you re-sign UFAs they are 1 way deals. RFAs are 2 way deals
- You MUST have enough cap space to re-sign your UFAs, but you don't need cap space to re-sign your RFAs
- Check out the ratings and let us know if you have any questions
- Submit your RFAs by Friday July 15 11:59 PM Calgary time
- This should be done by emailing cphltrade the following (send it all in one email, not an email for each player)
- The name of the player be signed, OVR, number of years you are signing them to, and the corresponding grid amount.
- A list of players you are NOT re-signing
- Please include any ECHLers that you want to sign, including any with 0 years left.
ONE WAY CONTRACTS
if you have any players on one way deals they must be in the NHL. The league will move anyone sitting in the Ahl on a one way back to the NHL level
This one confuses people each year so ask questions if confused. This is regarding this rule. You must recall any player that is at or above the recall threshold by July 22. Otherwise they go on waivers when being recalled. For 2016/2017 those thresholds are 68 for F/D and 72 for goalies. You may notice that the rules on the site say these guys must be recalled by pre-season, but we changed this last summer to prevent teams from stashing players. I need to update the official rules.
After RFA re-signing we will have UFA re-signing and then UFA bidding.
There is a lot in this post, so please read carefully and ask questions. No question is dumb. If you are confused, chances are someone else is.