Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

Old 07-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #41
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffobohs View Post
So I called telus with Shaw's offer but they said I'm maxed out at 50mb where I am as no fibre in Airdrie yet. She did beat Shaw's price by a couple of bucks and the free 4k PVR is a bonus. She wouldn't commit to giving me the 150mb when fibre does eventually roll out so not sure whether I should sign a 2 year plan on 50mb...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
This is the main problem from what I understand with Telus' network. They cannot match this fully in 90% or so of their current footprint for their Internet. They will have to match or lower price based on their other offerings cutting into their margins.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #42
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
This is the main problem from what I understand with Telus' network. They cannot match this fully in 90% or so of their current footprint for their Internet. They will have to match or lower price based on their other offerings cutting into their margins.
She only beat it by $4 but I'd still be at 1/3 of the speed. If she had said she'd up me to 150 when they roll out fibre for no cost I would have been ok with it. I have so.eone calling me from shaw tomorrow that says she has better TV deals than advertised too. So I might end up switching. Really don't want to sign a contract with telus for 50mb

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #43
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Existing customer with Shaw
Had to go up the chain of command but finally got internet 150+ Popular TV and phone for $124 a month for a year. Next year goes up $10/ month. I can live with that. Saves me about $50 a month this year. Took about an hour of haggling on the phone but was worth it to me. We were paying $170/m for bb50 bare bone cable and phone.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #44
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signed up. Save 20 bucks a month and better internet speed, so win-win.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #45
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
I've got the arris sbg6782
6782 is an 8 downstream channel cable modem. The new CISCO and Hitron support 24 downstreams and this may be why you are having issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #46
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I just got off the phone with Shaw. Because I already own the Hitron modem, Shaw has an issue where it cannot accept the current plan as is (unable to get credit for owning a modem I'm guessing vs the built in modem rental fee?). However, the rep I spoke with said that a resolution is rolling out on July 21 and she will be call me then or earlier once the resolution is available.

I think the best part for me is just fixing the price for 2 years. I've watched my internet 20 slowly increase from $55 to $72 a month. No change in speeds. I had been keeping tabs on better speeds for just a few bucks more. 10 ish bucks more a month for "7x"
speeds? Awesome!

Cancellation isn't "free", they charge you $20 a month if you hop off early. But $80 for 150MB is a flippin good deal. I doubt I will have buyers remorse (other than sadness that I will have to revert to slower speeds once this promo expires).
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #47
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got mine hooked up today. Seeing 175+ down and 17 up on any device. About time my router setup finally gets put to good use.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #48
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Got mine hooked up today. Seeing 175+ down and 17 up on any device. About time my router setup finally gets put to good use.
Care to share? I get 150 up and 20 down wired but max 10/2 wireless. Telus modem plus telus repeater upstairs
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #49
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Care to share? I get 150 up and 20 down wired but max 10/2 wireless. Telus modem plus telus repeater upstairs
If you are getting super slow wireless speeds you are probably going to have to use something like wifi analyzer to see what kind of levels you are getting from your router.

Is your router in your basement? If so concrete will likely mess up your wifi signal strength. My recommendation is always to put up wireless AP and use the cable modem just as a cable modem. Repeaters also need at least 50% signal strength to be somewhat effective.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #50
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I've had Shaw's 100 speed for some time now and they no longer offer it, its either 60 or 150 as their fastest speeds. So I'm probably not going to sign up because 100 can be as fast as 120ish and I get it for about $90. At $134/month after two years I can't switch back to 100. I think Shaw is playing the long game trying to get us on 100 to 150 for future revenue growth.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #51
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you are getting super slow wireless speeds you are probably going to have to use something like wifi analyzer to see what kind of levels you are getting from your router.

Is your router in your basement? If so concrete will likely mess up your wifi signal strength. My recommendation is always to put up wireless AP and use the cable modem just as a cable modem. Repeaters also need at least 50% signal strength to be somewhat effective.
Some info:
-my home is a new build basement entry with nothing below grade as I'm on a 200 year floodplain.
-modem is connected in the center of the house in the basement (see attached picture
-repeater is directly above it on main floor on the floor where a desk will soon be out in the open
Spoiler!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #52
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe what Telus is offering as a retention deal is $43 for 50Mbps if you yell at them enough.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #53
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got 150 for the price of 50 and it wasn't for a limited time. It's forever
Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #54
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I've had Shaw's 100 speed for some time now and they no longer offer it, its either 60 or 150 as their fastest speeds. So I'm probably not going to sign up because 100 can be as fast as 120ish and I get it for about $90. At $134/month after two years I can't switch back to 100. I think Shaw is playing the long game trying to get us on 100 to 150 for future revenue growth.
Shaw would start earning positive revenue from you in month 44 in this scenario. It's a long game if that's the goal. I'm OK with saving $576 over two years and seeing where prices and plans are after that, personally.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #55
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got 150 for the price of 50 and it wasn't for a limited time. It's forever
Was referring to non fiber area matching.

As for your weak wifi. Is your distribution box usually closed and is it metal? It may act as a big faraday cage if it is and mess up your wifi. Move it outside the box?

Otherwise your 2.4 levels look a little bit low I'm usually running somewhere between low -40s dBm in most places in my house. Keep in mind though this is a logarithmic scale.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #56
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was referring to non fiber area matching.

As for your weak wifi. Is your distribution box usually closed and is it metal? It may act as a big faraday cage if it is and mess up your wifi. Move it outside the box?

Otherwise your 2.4 levels look a little bit low I'm usually running somewhere between low -40s dBm in most places in my house. Keep in mind though this is a logarithmic scale.
The box is plastic, but yes always closed. 2800 sq ft home, so not large either. Readings are from upstairs in living room.

If I bought a better router and wanted to have it up upstairs, how do I do that? The whole house is wired with Ethernet cable, so how do I go modern to router and then connect to all other outlets?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #57
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some info:
-my home is a new build basement entry with nothing below grade as I'm on a 200 year floodplain.
-modem is connected in the center of the house in the basement (see attached picture
-repeater is directly above it on main floor on the floor where a desk will soon be out in the open
Spoiler!
Who wired that patch panel? There shouldn't be nearly that much housing cut back. Untwisting cables will compromise integrity.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #58
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The box is plastic, but yes always closed. 2800 sq ft home, so not large either. Readings are from upstairs in living room.

If I bought a better router and wanted to have it up upstairs, how do I do that? The whole house is wired with Ethernet cable, so how do I go modern to router and then connect to all other outlets?
Buy a router that has some decent options and configure it as an access point would be the best bet. Unless it is a recent AC chipset in that modem of yours chances are the signal is going to be pretty crappy in your basement. I would mount a router or a dedicated AP on the wall somewhere in a closet that is close an ethernet jack on a higher up in your house to get better speeds.

Example on how to configure a router as an access point for ASUS routers.
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1005259

May be overkill but a high end access point you can buy. One I am using in my house and serves about the same square footage as you. You have the option of installing a second if you start getting dead patches but that shouldn't happen with the size of your home.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/ubiquiti-....mJESYCpW.dpbs

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-17-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #59
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Buy a router that has some decent options and configure it as an access point would be the best bet. Unless it is a recent AC chipset in that modem of yours chances are the signal is going to be pretty crappy in your basement. I would mount a router or a dedicated AP on the wall somewhere in a closet that is close an ethernet jack on a higher up in your house to get better speeds.

Example on how to configure a router as an access point for ASUS routers.
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1005259

May be overkill but a high end access point you can buy. One I am using in my house and serves about the same square footage as you. You have the option of installing a second if you start getting dead patches but that shouldn't happen with the size of your home.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/ubiquiti-....mJESYCpW.dpbs
Sorry to detail this thread everyone.

So if I have this right, I can leave everything the same, but turn wireless off on the modem and plug a higher end Asus into the Ethernet and use it as my wireless access point? That would be way easier.

Thanks so much FlameOn!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #60
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes you can do that. Looking at your picture again, I also see your wireless antennas are not optimal. They should be perpendicular to each other, forming a 90 degree angle. I don't think that alone would account for your poor wireless sped, but if you get a new one, make sure you do that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150