Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #1161
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I genuinely believe Ferland has all the tools to be an NHLer. My biggest hope is that he becomes a Lucic clone, but would ecstatic if Ferland ever became what Benn has become.
I think the realistic expectation is a Jackman type of player out of Ferland...maybe a little more (such as multiple double digit goal seasons), but I think that's where he'll end up.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #1162
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I think the realistic expectation is a Jackman type of player out of Ferland...maybe a little more (such as multiple double digit goal seasons), but I think that's where he'll end up.
Disagree 100%. Ferland is better in all areas of the game than Jackman. Better skater, better hockey IQ, betetr scoring ability.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #1163
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always though Ferland's downside would be Chris Neil and upside like Wendel Clark.

I think he's going to be more effective than Tim Jackman. Jackman might be physical and willing to fight, but Ferland can do all that and bring an intimidating presence as well, something that both Neil and CLark bring. It's an intangible asset that can't really be measured with statistics. I don't think any player in the NHL fears Tim Jackman.

Ferland is just that type of guy though. Very feared in the WHL due to his ability to knock you out with one punch.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #1164
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

We'll know more about Ferland come the summer. It'll be interesting to see him up against the other Flames' prospects at dev camp.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #1165
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joey Leach was named MVP of the playoffs for the Kootenay Ice: http://www.kootenayice.net/article/playoff-mvp-leach

It sucks that their playoff run was so short, but the writing was on the wall. A low scoring Ice team vs. an elite scoring Oil Kings team. Oh well, good for Leach. Now sign him Feaster!
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #1166
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Howse accidentally ran into the end boards tonight and couldn't get himself off the ice. He was later taken to the Abby hospital nearby. Ward said in his post-game interview that it's a knee injury.

Poor kid can't catch a break.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #1167
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta love Clay Wilson. Saw him at Flames practice this morning. He went from the ice to the room, grabbed his gear, flew to Abbotsford and played tonight.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #1168
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Johnny Gaudreau had assists and Billy Arnold had one assist as B.C. Defeated Minny and play Ferris tomorrow in the finals.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #1169
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Boston College wins the Frozen Four! Gaudreau with a goal and Arnold with an assist in the final.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #1170
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ferland has a goal and an assist (1+1) as Brandon loses to Edmonton 4-3.
Calgary Highlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #1171
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baertschi sccooooooooooores! That's my best imitation of this awful Portland PBP guy haha.

1-0 Winterhawks.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #1172
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Better than the Kelowna guy everyone had to listen to in the previous series.

He skkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Calgary Highlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #1173
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Boston College wins the Frozen Four! Gaudreau with a goal and Arnold with an assist in the final.
Fantastic to hear!

http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m...-championships

this is a fantastic start for both players. I really am starting to think Gaudreau is going to end up being one of the steals from the draft.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #1174
kekkone
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Leach and Reinhart last year, Gaudreau and Arnold this year, nice to see prospects getting taste of winning before they join organization which has lost it's winning touch. Gaudreau and Arnold both played well in both games. Arnold was very consistent doing his job defence-first and displaying desired work ethic every shift. First line center, first PP unit, first PK unit, he handled it all. Skating didn't look as bad as I remembered but it's a weakness and propably will be that way because of his thick and short legs that doesn't allow him much foot speed. Decision making is a work in progress. It was an issue in WJC and it didn't look convincing at times in Frozen Four. On the other hand he's got great results in both and especially during whole NCAA season. Good results, one of the top players in championship team as a sophomore and room to improve, that sounds better, even convincing. I'm not sold on his pro potential due to his inadequate decision making but these kids should be judged by what they have accomplished because no one knows what future brings. We can only guess, and admitting yourself you can only guess, not know, that's what scouting is all about. Arnold is doing great for a 4th round pick and his flaws are workable.

I think it's important Gaudreau already took big steps and stepped into a big role. You look at successful smallish skill players around NHL and notice most of them have stepped rather easily right into any league they have pursued. It comes down to talent to adjust. A 5'6, 5'7, 5'8 player can't play the same way bigger players do. They have to find their own way firstly to survive from hits and secondly to make themselves useful for team. Smallish skill players can only excel in offensive game in the NHL and pursuing for NHL career is what all prospects are supposed to work on. For Gaudreau step from USHL to NCAA was the first test if he has that kind of talent to adjust; to have smarts and desired attitude to firmly work on the right things to be successful right away from the start. He has done just that and has been able to concentrate to work on his primary weapons from the start in one of the best programs in North America.

Gaudreau will have lots of barriers on his road to NHL and for smallish guy barriers are always more difficult to go over. He has talent, he is on the right track now and he needs to continue working on the right things. Watching St.Louis, Ennis, Desharnais, learning how they play, what's their identity which makes them successful. In my opinion the main thing that prevents smallish players making it to the big league is that they don't find their own identity to be successful. Not the size factor. Of course lack of size makes it a lot harder, there's like 5 5'8 or smaller players in the league right now, but they all have certain playing style which has made them deserve their stay. If there's at least one small player in the league then size can't be the only factor why another small player couldn't make it. Hockey sense is the decisive factor in my opinion. Does Gaudreau have enought of it?

I can only hope.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #1175
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think a good comparison to Gadreau would be Ennis in Buffalo. Small, highly skilled player.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #1176
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, Ennis comes to mind. Buffalo in general has a history of small players - Ennis, Gerbe und Byron came through the system over the last few years, Roy has been there for a long time and Briere had his best season in Buffalo as well.

I used to think that Gaudreau's size would be a huge problem, but after seeing him play in the Frozen Four, I doesn't bother me that much any more ... he still has a long way to go, but his skill and hockey sense should get him there. Luckily, the modern NHL has a niche for small, skilled players - I think it's "easier" nowadays for guys under 6'0. Seeing how guys like Gionta, Briere, St Louis, Ennis, Gerbe, Desharnais and others have thrived in the league, there can be hope that Gaudreau can overcome the obstacles too ...
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #1177
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bartschi wins player of the week for the WHL
http://whl.ca/article/winterhawks-ba...er-of-the-week
Kolanos wins player of the week for the AHL
http://theahl.com/kolanos-nabs-honor...t-week-p177027
Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #1178
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Heads up for those interested. Gaudreau will be on the pipeline show tonight and they are taking questions.

@ThePipelineShow

#Flames fans: John Gaudreau from Boston College will be on TPS tonight. Got a question? Tweet it at us! #frozenfour
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #1179
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

7-9 tonight on the team 1260. Looks like he'll be on the 2nd segment so I'd say around 7:20-7:30.

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #1180
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What do you guys think of Karri Ramo?

When we picked him up, I heard the opinions range from "best goalie in the KHL" to "total NHL bust".

His KHL club is in the finals right now, his stats are top of the crop, and his toe save is the top highlight on the front page of the KHL website right now.

He's 26 years old. Kiprusoff's NMC is toast on July 1... though the temptation to move him will be high, what kind of value do you put on the impact a veteran Finn like Kipper could have sharing the net with a young Finn like Ramo?

Ramo says he intends to finish out his KHL deal, that's another season after this one. Will Kiprusoff be around then to work with Ramo?

Is Ramo, like so many other prospect exchanges, a mere formality with no NHL potential?

Change is coming for this organization. Another should mention on the goalie front is Danny Taylor. He's matched Irving in his ability to win all season, and at times shown more consistency than Leland. Should we sign Taylor and bring him into the goaltending prospect fold?

Lots of food for thought.

Tags
go flames go! , oilers suck , prospects