Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #41
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Found the article. In a magazine though.

They have a section that is titled, 'Just How Intelligent Is A Web Proxy.'

Short answer. Encrypted HTTPS(SSL or TLS) sessions aren't truly proxied. They're tunneled through the Web proxy. The contents of HTTPS sessions are, in practical terms, completely opaque to the Web proxy.

Which is kinda what I thought.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #42
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Found the article. In a magazine though.

They have a section that is titled, 'Just How Intelligent Is A Web Proxy.'

Short answer. Encrypted HTTPS(SSL or TLS) sessions aren't truly proxied. They're tunneled through the Web proxy. The contents of HTTPS sessions are, in practical terms, completely opaque to the Web proxy.

Which is kinda what I thought.
Which kinda leads you back, I guess to blocking the directory servers and a list of IP’s that you can generate by querying those same directory servers.

You gotta admit - they did their homework developing Tor, it does seem to work pretty well in hostile network environments!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #43
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Pretty much. Seems to be the only thing I can do. I will look into seeing if I can some traffic shaping over HTTPS. At least to help aleviate the amount of bandwidth being used that can't be controlled.

I actually really admire Tor. As long as it can piss of China and Iran, then I'm fine with a small headache of trying to deal with the bandwidth problems it can cause.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 AM   #44
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

If money is no object, hire thugs to intimidate the users into compliance. A few burnt-down colonies and the rest will fall into line.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #45
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Which kinda leads you back, I guess to blocking the directory servers and a list of IP’s that you can generate by querying those same directory servers.

You gotta admit - they did their homework developing Tor, it does seem to work pretty well in hostile network environments!
Considering that Tor was originally backed by NRL it should come as no surprise that this is another military technique re-purposed for the civilian sector.