Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Monoprice Drops Apple Accessories

Just went to monoprice.com to order some accessories for my iPod Touch and all the accessories (cables/screen protectors/cases etc) have been removed from their site. I checked with customer service and they confirmed that they have indeed temporarily removed Apple Accessories but wouldn't comment on why.

Just wondering if any of the well-connected folks around here would have a clue as to why they'd drop the Apple products so suddenly? (They were there shortly before noon.)
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i got one of the proprietary ipod USB cables from them for $3, instead of buying one from Apple for $20. maybe Apple's tired of them cutting into their "ripping off the customer as much as humanly possible" business model
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i got one of the proprietary ipod USB cables from them for $3, instead of buying one from Apple for $20. maybe Apple's tired of them cutting into their "ripping off the customer as much as humanly possible" business model
$3? dang - wish I had picked up a spare while I could have.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is sad news.

I recently somehow lost my second cable and was going to order a couple more from Monoprice. Now I need to make sure I keep the only one I have in my bag at all times.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I bought 20 of them only to find out that none of them would sync to a computer.

Work fine for charging, but no syncing.

If anyone wants a 6' USB to iPod adapter charging cable I have 15 available downtown ($3 each).

~bug

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed that they won't sync.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I bought a charge pack from them and it's spotty at best. Overall I didn't like the quality of the apple accessories, but it's unfortunate to lose the option. I think there are still other sites out there that have things like that.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought 6 back-up batteries from them and 1 battery/case. One back-up battery is still functioning, the rest are all dead. One use usually fried them. Pissed me off. That's $50 worth of useless crap they sent me. Maybe they had so many complaints about the crap they were making that they stopped trying?
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed that they won't sync.
mine sync's just fine. i have no trouble transferring music or other files to my ipod
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've used them for various iPhone accessories. I've never had a single issue with any of the products I've bought. I hope they carry them again, since I thought they were great products for the price.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's why.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ry_makers.html
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #12
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting...I just liked to use them for the occasional screen protector or cable as required simply because they were soooo much cheaper for the same product than most anywhere else & fairly reliable.

Thanks for the link Barnes!
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:24 AM   #13
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't see why they can't continue to sell screen protectors or cables. I can see Apple not being happy about 3rd parties making poor quality products. However, when my battery/case put my iPhone in zoom mode for those that are legally blind, I blamed Monoprice, not Apple. Do you know how hard it is to get the phone out of zoom mode?

I should have figured that I was essentially getting a Juice Pack ($80) from Monoprice for $18. I should not have expected the world. But all the other non-iPhone stuff I get from Monoprice is cheap AND works perfectly.

Last edited by Devils'Advocate; 07-31-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So what if monoprice has stopped carrying them? Monoprice sources all their stuff from the Fast East and Chinese Factories not far from the factories that make the real Apple products anyway in ShenZhen and Guangzhou, etc. You might as well just buy them from Dealextreme.com, etc. although I admit their might be more care and better service @ Monoprice.

I bought an iphone dock for my mom and they sent the EU plug SKU instead but they sent me a US one to replace it and now I have two docks and two extra iphone USB cables and I can use the EU one for travelling or as a spare with the travel adapters DE has sent me by accident before as well.

I agree some of these 3rd party products may cause some issues but again, just like much of what Jobs spouts day to day about Apple, iphone reception, flash, etc. it's all a corporate smokescreen for: "we want to make more money and continue ripping our customers off by overcharging for our products and increasing our monopolistic domination"

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-31-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote