I use Plex, works great

iOS app is free as well.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #22
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
Steve, next time your online have me go over the channels with you. You missing out on a lot of goodies.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #23
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I actually haven't used the Channels much at all. If there are some tips to maximize the benefit from them, I'm listening.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #24
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

x2. I don't really use the channels a whole lot.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #25
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys are really missing out. We use the channels about 75% off the time to catch up on tv, movies and kids shows. There is a few channels that will have any movie or tv show you want. Toxic avenger? Yep. Airwolf? Yep. Barbie horse adventures?.... Yeah that too....
Old 10-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what channels do you use?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #27
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
So what channels do you use?
SSPlex, G2G, Let me watch this, are some of the really good ones out there for streaming TV and Movies
Old 10-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #28
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

SSPlex has just changed my life. Thanks.

This channel stuff changes everything.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #29
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What's the trick to getting ss plex to show up? It's in the plug-ins folder... Let me watch and ice films work... Ss plex nowhere to be found.

Edit: Nm...for whatever reason the ss plex bundle folder kept getting deleted from the plugins folder whenever I started the plex server. Installed it from the unsupported app store and now it doesn't get deleted and shows up in plex.

Last edited by J Diddy; 10-21-2015 at 01:09 PM.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #30
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Oh wow I didn't know Plex had channels. Basically competing with Kodi/XBMC now!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #31
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As I have become less nerdy and more lazy. Plex via Chromecast has completely replaced XBMC for me.

XBMC was and is great, but the constant tweaking and never really being satisfied with it became tiresome. The sickbeard/couch potato combo was glorious, but required upkeep. Plex just works, and works well and the combination of channels, Netflix and Google Movies is more than enough for my consumption habits.

Last edited by sa226; 10-21-2015 at 12:13 PM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #32
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am currently using plex served off my PC, with the media stored in a 6TB NAS... But I'd like to stop running my PC 24/7 to serve as the plex server, yet the NAS I have (DNS-320L) can't really run plex due to transcoding, etc...

Any cheap servers (lenovo Thinkserver?) that can run plex well with 1/2 streams of transcoding out there? I already have the HDDs just need some processing power...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #33
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
I am currently using plex served off my PC, with the media stored in a 6TB NAS... But I'd like to stop running my PC 24/7 to serve as the plex server, yet the NAS I have (DNS-320L) can't really run plex due to transcoding, etc...

Any cheap servers (lenovo Thinkserver?) that can run plex well with 1/2 streams of transcoding out there? I already have the HDDs just need some processing power...
I went searching for the Plex holy grail - a server cum large storage device. The thinkserver is a good option, the other is the higher end Synology NAS with faster processors. They are expensive, the thinkserver or HP Microserver being the most cost effective, the drives adding most of the cost. And I was looking for a higher end cpu to be able to transcode everything.

I elected to go the PC (i7) Plex server, and the lower end 12tb Synology NAS. The reson being then I can selectively upgrade my devices.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #34
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
I went searching for the Plex holy grail - a server cum large storage device. The thinkserver is a good option, the other is the higher end Synology NAS with faster processors. They are expensive, the thinkserver or HP Microserver being the most cost effective, the drives adding most of the cost. And I was looking for a higher end cpu to be able to transcode everything.

I elected to go the PC (i7) Plex server, and the lower end 12tb Synology NAS. The reson being then I can selectively upgrade my devices.
I'm running Plex on a Windows VM, running alongside a couple more Windows VM's on a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 (the Xeon version) that I got for about $650.

Its humming along quite nicely. The TS140 is very quiet, and has a very efficient power supply. It sits in the basement, out of sight, out of mind, and I can do a lot more than just networked storage with it. Plex runs seamlessly on it, no issues.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #35
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post

Exactly what I did with my server setup. 12TB Synology NAS. Separate microPC running an i7 processor. It's much more flexible that way and you are not tied to running applications that work only on a Synology or QNAP NAS platform. Draws a bit more power though...

Alternative is you can build your own NAS and put in your own server parts. You buy a case like this http://www.itxcanada.com/index.php?p...=1296&parent=0

Then put in your i7 processor and a micro-itx board and you have something more powerful than any NAS provider can give you. Run some kind of FreeNAS or other open source NAS engine on there and Plex/Emby will run fast and the hardware is swappable as needed. I was planning on doing this at some point but haven't gotten around to getting money for this.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #36
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys are hardcore. I'm rocking a 2010 Mac Mini with an external 2TB drive for a Plex server!

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #37
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
You guys are hardcore. I'm rocking a 2010 Mac Mini with an external 2TB drive for a Plex server!
Old school
Old 10-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #38
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

2009 Macbook for me.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #39
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Just installed the unsupported channels bundle on QNAP Plex.... wow, I had no idea that even existed. Thank you Diemenz.

If anyone has a qnap and needs to know how to install the bundle into the directory, use WinSCP and download the bundle called "Unsupported Appstore.bundle" for Plex, then use WinSCP to put it in this directory (when the media server is running): /root/Library/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #40
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Just installed the unsupported channels bundle on QNAP Plex.... wow, I had no idea that even existed. Thank you Diemenz.

If anyone has a qnap and needs to know how to install the bundle into the directory, use WinSCP and download the bundle called "Unsupported Appstore.bundle" for Plex, then use WinSCP to put it in this directory (when the media server is running): /root/Library/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins
Just an FYI the unsupported App Store is actually fully unsupported now as in the developer has not updated the tool in about a year.

Yes the large majority of channels in there will work (G2G, SSPlex, BitTorrent, ishow etc) but they might not be the most recent version of that channel.

I suggest going to
https://forums.plex.tv/categories/plex-channels

And getting the latest copies of the channels from the threads for each channel.