Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ipad Repair

I have an ipad with a cracked up screen and i am looking to either get the screen replaced or by the replacement parts and do it myself. Where are some reputable places to get it fixed and can you get genuine parts or at least high quality parts.

When i look at reviews everything seems to be poor with lots of complaints about how the screen feels when it was done. Also if it costs more than $200 to get it done it seems to be a better idea to pick up and ipad 3 for 400 to 500 than to pay 200 to poorly fix a 2 year old product.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I have an ipad with a cracked up screen and i am looking to either get the screen replaced or by the replacement parts and do it myself. Where are some reputable places to get it fixed and can you get genuine parts or at least high quality parts.

When i look at reviews everything seems to be poor with lots of complaints about how the screen feels when it was done. Also if it costs more than $200 to get it done it seems to be a better idea to pick up and ipad 3 for 400 to 500 than to pay 200 to poorly fix a 2 year old product.
Apple will replace your broken iPad for a new one for a flat fee of 200$ I think.

Edit: Might be 249. Not sure. Call Apple Store to confirm. either way, at this price if you have gen 1 I do not think it is worth fixing. Unless you get a free upgrade to iPad 2, since I don't know if they still refurb gen 1's!

But yes, I'd much rather pay 4-500 for a used iPad with Retina then 250 for fixing/replacing an iPad 1.

Last edited by silentsim; 10-01-2012 at 07:26 PM.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think Apple will only replace your broken iPad if it's still under warranty and the cost would be half of what a new one would cost. If your original cost was $520, then the replacement would be $260.

I'm not sure about the first generation iPad but the Apple guy told me that the 2nd generation iPad's could not have their screen's replaced (unlike the iPhone) cause the screen was not removable. I have not confirmed this either way but I do agree that paying a bit more and getting the 3rd generation model is probably the best bet if you want to continue along with an iPad.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just an FYI (which doesn't help the OP), if you have Applecare+ for your iPad ($99, purchase any time in the first year of ownership), it's $49 for replacement, accidental damage included. Up to two replacements during the two year term.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a thought, could you purchase AppleCare after it has been damaged? Or does it need to be inspected by them?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Just a thought, could you purchase AppleCare after it has been damaged? Or does it need to be inspected by them?
Applecare=needs no inspection, done over phone now, does not cover accidental damage

AppleCare+ needs to be purchased when the device is bought, or within 30 days and device needs to be inspected by a Genius
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
AppleCare+ needs to be purchased when the device is bought, or within 30 days and device needs to be inspected by a Genius
My bad, thanks for the correction - I bought it with the device, so I wasn't aware of the 30 days thing. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

You used to have 1 year (manufacturing warranty period) for Applecare purchase... has that changed?

Also, I don't think a cracked screen would be covered- only manufacturing problems, no?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
You used to have 1 year (manufacturing warranty period) for Applecare purchase... has that changed?

Also, I don't think a cracked screen would be covered- only manufacturing problems, no?
For regular AppleCare you still have a year, though for iPhone and iPad you can only get this by calling AppleCare now. And no, cracked screen wouldn't be covered on AppleCare, but on + would qualify for the 49$ replacement
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
My bad, thanks for the correction - I bought it with the device, so I wasn't aware of the 30 days thing. Thanks!
AppleCare+ is golden on the iPhone where during normal usage a freak accident might occur!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Just an FYI (which doesn't help the OP), if you have Applecare+ for your iPad ($99, purchase any time in the first year of ownership), it's $49 for replacement, accidental damage included. Up to two replacements during the two year term.
I don't know if that is a good deal or not. You spend 500 on the device and $150 on warrenty. So somewhere between 1 in 3 and 1 in 4. Now granted in my case this would have paid off but in general do 1 in 4 get screen damage within 2 years. I am getting just to the end of year 2 so it would have barely fit within warrenty.

Now on a phone which definately gets abused more its probably worth it.

Last edited by GGG; 10-02-2012 at 05:06 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't know if that is a good deal or not. You spend 500 on the device and $150 on warrenty. So somewhere between 1 in 3 and 1 in 4. Now granted in my case this would have paid off but in general do 1 in 4 get screen damage within 2 years. I am getting just to the end of year 2 so it would have barely fit within warrenty.

Now on a phone which definately gets abused more its probably worth it.
Warranty is 100- 50$ fee is to replace the device should you break it