Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

She'll love chasing the animals around, give yourself some monster spawners and put them around and there'll be more pigs than you can shake a stick at!
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #22
photon

Exp:

My kid's gonna flip when this comes out:

Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Wait what? /warp????
Custom server software. I believe it's on the minecraft forums. He's installed a bunch of neat things like what I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Do you need a license for the server? or just for clients? Like if I bought 2 copys for my daughter and myself, we could run the server on my desktop and then we can both play together, or do we need to buy 3?.
Server software is a free download, and like I mentioned to Photon, there are custom servers as well. You can run the server on your computer and load a copy of minecraft to play in it at the same time.

Quote:
I assume the multiplayer server is a persistant world, where things are saved etc automatically, not like the online classic mode I was just trying out that made you save before you exited.
It's persistant, not sure how saving works but I assume it's on the fly.

Quote:
Really I just want a way for my daughter to learn basic controls like running around with WASD and using a mouse to do things that are meaningful to her. Building with lego is something she can understand, moving a character in oblivion is fine, but to do anything meaningful in the game is obviously beyond her.
Maybe get her to play with the game single player for a bit, then if she takes a liking to it you could work out getting a multiplayer server started to play together. Like ZedMan says you can play offline which requires no purchased log in.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #24
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
My kid's gonna flip when this comes out:
There's some really neat custom animals out there. Someone coded another "player" AI that follows you around and helps and stuff. Kinda neat.

One my favorite custom mods is the Portal Gun from...well, Portal.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewto...=1032&t=215961
Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #25
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Here's some updates from the Multiplayer server I play on:

My Base

Ain't no creepers getting up here! (Only way in is through the tunnels in the water or that little sky bridge)

Tunnel connection to towers
You should duplicate the save file, allow creeps in, and play a "survival" game on that map.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #26
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Does the new save format improve copying saves? Even an 8MB save takes me 10 minutes to copy due to the enormous amount of files in that 8MB. The server's save file is something like 40MB, and he takes the server down for 6 hours once a week just to back the damn thing up, it's so huge.

I sense imminent death if a creeper explodes in there though.

Last edited by Mazrim; 03-22-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #27
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The new save format is a huge improvement. I use a save backup utility because I was getting chunk errors that were really annoying. It used to take a few minutes to backup my world, now it's done in a few seconds.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #28
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just playing with the classic mode in the browser and it won't run on my laptop (entry level dell with integrated gpu). Is this normal? Is the current version better? or the client? I don't want to shell out $20 if I can't let my daughter play on my laptop.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #29
Jude
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Just playing with the classic mode in the browser and it won't run on my laptop (entry level dell with integrated gpu). Is this normal? Is the current version better? or the client? I don't want to shell out $20 if I can't let my daughter play on my laptop.
If anything your laptop is probably too fast. I know that on computers with multiple cores it can be really laggy. Try to remedy it by going to your task manager and limiting it to a single processor (I'd be more specific and google it for you but I'm on my phone)
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #30
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
If anything your laptop is probably too fast. I know that on computers with multiple cores it can be really laggy. Try to remedy it by going to your task manager and limiting it to a single processor (I'd be more specific and google it for you but I'm on my phone)
What?? Is that specific to the browser version or something? Seriously. I've played Minecraft on a Core i7 with no issues so this is mind boggling to me.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #31
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I just tried the Classic version in my browser and it ran extremely smooth. My guess is that your integrated video card is the culprit, Rathji. Also make sure video and sound card drivers and Java are up to date.

My specs:
1.2GHz Core2Duo
4GB RAM
1GB GeForce GTS 250 video card
Windows 7 64 bit

Here's a little thing I did in the browser in 5 minutes to test it. I forgot how ridiculously fast blocks break in Classic.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #32
Jude
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's just because java/minecraft is not multicore friendly, see link

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewto...p?f=35&t=34831

Hope that helps!
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #33
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Runs fine on my quad core, in the browser or client.

I had heard Minecraft mentioned a lot, but everything I saw was these crazy buildings that people did with unlimited resources. That didn't really interest me.

Then I saw a video of survival mode with limited resources that you have to gather/refine yourself, and I was sold. I've been playing it like crazy for the last month or so.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #34
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not that it doesn't run well, it won't load anything at all. I am pretty sure Java is updated on that machine as well.

It is dual core, so I will see if that is the issue.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #35
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Ok, here's the thing with the wolves. Will they be around or will they eventually disappear like the other mobs? Cause it would be cool if they stayed with you for the length of their lives or when they get killed.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #36
photon

Exp:

They're supposed to stay with you, despawning when you do and spawning when you come back.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #37
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
They're supposed to stay with you, despawning when you do and spawning when you come back.
That's awesome! I wonder what v1.3 it will be? next build I'm guessing?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #38
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I sense imminent death if a creeper explodes in there though.
Not sure on the saving thing, but that's the point. Have a survival mission and try to fend off monsters as long as possible. My underground network was awesome when I copied files for that (granted, it was terrifying as anything walking around midday only to find that one of the other entrances let a couple creepers in).
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #39
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Well my minecraft days are done. For some reason I am stuck in one spot unable to move. I can interact with the environment, but I just can't move. I've build way too much to have to start over again...
Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #40
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Well my minecraft days are done. For some reason I am stuck in one spot unable to move. I can interact with the environment, but I just can't move. I've build way too much to have to start over again...
Do you have anything in your inventory that can be used to kill yourself?
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote