Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Minecraft fun...

The Mario is on an inverted pyramid that I wanted to build up to the top of the sky level, but the amount of material needed of course goes up quick and I got bored.

photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Cool stuff. I've collected a lot of dye but haven't figured out what to do with it yet. I spent the better part of today trying to make a more efficient mob trap, with less than impressive results.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

My girlfriend made a very large Charmander out of wool, I'll have to dig the picture out and post it here. It's also next to a giant Creeper statue.

I've been focusing on making buildings at this point so I guess I'm boring!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ok how does Minecraft work... I might have to give this game a shot lol
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

In it's simplest form, Minecraft is the following:
- Mine blocks from the ground.
- Build/Craft stuff from the blocks you mined.
- Avoid being killed by zombies/skeletons/spiders/CREEPERS.

The game is a true sandbox game that has an infinitely large world, and the whole point is to use your imagination to build crazy cool things. It has a pretty interesting crafting system that let's you use almost all the stuff you'll mine.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Cool stuff. I've collected a lot of dye but haven't figured out what to do with it yet. I spent the better part of today trying to make a more efficient mob trap, with less than impressive results.
Get a couple of Saplings, plant them and then use the Bone Meal on them.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
photon

Exp:

Yeah I keep having to do that because my kid "accidentally" keeps setting forest fires when we play together.

Actually I stopped trying to clean them up, all the burning trees helps from getting lost sometimes.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Get a couple of Saplings, plant them and then use the Bone Meal on them.
I'm not sure how that helps me. I'm building a machine that kills creepers and zombies and harvests the items they drop. My problem is I use water to force them to a pit, but the physics is hard to work with.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Mudkip

Charmander

Second shot was taken with an HD Texture Pack. These are my girlfriend's, not mine...but they're insane. Charmander hit the roof of the world.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Geezus, how do you stop playing this game!? HALP!!!
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
photon

Exp:

Well for me it was letting my kid lose on our shared world.. my ideas usually run along the lines of clean and expansive. His ideas are more organic.

The bottom half of that pyramid you see in the first picture used to be an actual pyramid, and extends very far underground as well. To me having the huge expanse of inside in geometric perfection was pleasing.. He's turned it into an organic area filled with trees, lakes, rivers, lava pits, beds, and random stacks of random blocks everywhere, random chaos. So I don't want to work on my pyramid anymore lol.

However we were having fun minecart boosters last night.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Geezus, how do you stop playing this game!? HALP!!!
Play SMP (survival multiplayer) on a poorly run server that is rarely up.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I tried a new texture pack that I saw being used on Yogscast called Bordercraft. It's inspired by the game Borderlands, and requires you to mod Minecraft to use hires textures, but it looks pretty cool.

The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

This game looks so addicting (and fun), that's why I don't want to start playing it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Here's some updates from the Multiplayer server I play on:

My Base

Ain't no creepers getting up here! (Only way in is through the tunnels in the water or that little sky bridge)

Tunnel connection to towers

The Sky Palace I built at the top

A bridge to nowhere (so far). I just wanted to make a bridge SOMEWHERE.

The girlfriend is doing some pixel art for me.

The server admin tested out the ion cannon, and was like "what the hell do I do now?" as he surveyed the aftermath. I suggested making an underground base out of it. He took the idea and REALLY ran with it.

There's 4 other people on the server but I haven't bothered to check on them in some time. They haven't been too active...well, two of them were, but all they've built is like 50 block high walls around their bases.

Last edited by Mazrim; 03-21-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^

Despite all the interesting things I have scene with Minecraft that ahven't swayed me yet, those pictures are cool enough that they might have sold me on it.

Here is a question that might be stupid, how is this game for kids? My daughter is 3 and wants to play some games that I play from time to time (Oblivion mostly) but the complexity and the difficulty reading means that obviously she can't play effectively and just runs around until she ends up in the water or something and can't get out. Is Minecraft something she could do?

Also, how does it work as far as playing it? I assume you download a client and play on a server, so there would be no issues playing 2 people at once, as long as you bought 2 copies of the game. How intensive is the game as far as requirements?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I play Minecraft on a 1.2GHz Core2Duo and I have everything set to max settings except draw distance (3rd furthest out of 4 settings) and run at 60fps. The server itself I play on was running on a 3 year old laptop that would die every 6 hours. The guy who runs the server bought a brand new desktop and has the server running on it now. No downtime so far.

Personally I think kids can have a blast with the game. There is no objectives, and once the basics are there it's very simple. They just dig, build, etc. You'll have to help them obviously if they get stuck or die, but I can see it being a lot of fun. It's a digital sandbox.

If you run a server, you can set up commands to help them. We have waypoints we can warp to (/warp base), you can set a home (/sethome and /home) so if you get lost you don't have to suicide and go back to the spawn, and you also don't have to worry about spending 10 minutes running back from the spawn.

Finally, if your kid just wants to build things and not actually work for it (ie. digging out the materials for it), you can play creative mode on the minecraft website or use server admin tools to generate stacks of blocks for them to use (ie. "/give <player> <item number> 64" will give you a full stack of whatever block you input the blockid for.)

Minecraft has a learning curve but it will never be like Oblivion! Also, it's probably the best $20 I've spent on a video game in a long time. I think it's well worth the cost.

Last edited by Mazrim; 03-22-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
photon

Exp:

Wait what? /warp????
Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I play Minecraft on a 1.2GHz Core2Duo and I have everything set to max settings except draw distance (3rd furthest out of 4 settings) and run at 60fps. The server itself I play on was running on a 3 year old laptop that would die every 6 hours. The guy who runs the server bought a brand new desktop and has the server running on it now. No downtime so far.

Personally I think kids can have a blast with the game. There is no objectives, and once the basics are there it's very simple. They just dig, build, etc. You'll have to help them obviously if they get stuck or die, but I can see it being a lot of fun. It's a digital sandbox.

If you run a server, you can set up commands to help them. We have waypoints we can warp to (/warp base), you can set a home (/sethome and /home) so if you get lost you don't have to suicide and go back to the spawn, and you also don't have to worry about spending 10 minutes running back from the spawn.

Finally, if your kid just wants to build things and not actually work for it (ie. digging out the materials for it), you can play creative mode on the minecraft website or use server admin tools to generate stacks of blocks for them to use (ie. "/give <player> <item number> 64" will give you a full stack of whatever block you input the blockid for.)

Minecraft has a learning curve but it will never be like Oblivion! Also, it's probably the best $20 I've spent on a video game in a long time. I think it's well worth the cost.
Do you need a license for the server? or just for clients? Like if I bought 2 copys for my daughter and myself, we could run the server on my desktop and then we can both play together, or do we need to buy 3?

I assume the multiplayer server is a persistant world, where things are saved etc automatically, not like the online classic mode I was just trying out that made you save before you exited.

Really I just want a way for my daughter to learn basic controls like running around with WASD and using a mouse to do things that are meaningful to her. Building with lego is something she can understand, moving a character in oblivion is fine, but to do anything meaningful in the game is obviously beyond her.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #20
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No, you don't need a license for the server and yes, it is persistent. You could probably even get away with only 1 license since you can run the server in unauthenticated mode.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote