Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #61
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone read his original post? He said he wants to use it for running. Nike+ GPS is available on both phones. I've used both for running, and can say that the size of the SIII on my armband was a bit annoying, mostly the width of it. There was also a noticeable difference in how long the iPhone 5 battery went down during my typical hour long run when compared to the SIII. Nike+ seems to manage power more effectively with the iPhone.

As for the problems with Apple Maps, none of them have been related to GPS accuracy. Most of what you see on blogs is satellite view not being as clear as Google.

If Google Maps is that important to you, there is a web version that is pretty solid.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #62
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

^^ Actually that was over a month ago. Now Bossy is asking us questions.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #63
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm currently running an iphone 4 and am eligible for an upgrade. I'm in no real hurry but am mightily tempted by the galaxy phone.

However, I've run across a discrepancy in the specs. I surfed around some and from what I could find the cpu is a quad core 1.4 ghz, while the bell, telus and virgin sites all say it's a 1.5ghz dual core. Any idea what it actually is? Did canada get a different cpu than other countries or what?

Edit:
Apparently we do get a different version. I actually went ahead and googled my question haha.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...release-specs/
One of the first results, apparently we only get the dual core. However, does this have a major impact on things? Anyone know?

Last edited by Igotnothing; 10-10-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #64
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
I'm currently running an iphone 4 and am eligible for an upgrade. I'm in no real hurry but am mightily tempted by the galaxy phone.

However, I've run across a discrepancy in the specs. I surfed around some and from what I could find the cpu is a quad core 1.4 ghz, while the bell, telus and virgin sites all say it's a 1.5ghz dual core. Any idea what it actually is? Did canada get a different cpu than other countries or what?

Edit:
Apparently we do get a different version. I actually went ahead and googled my question haha.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...release-specs/
One of the first results, apparently we only get the dual core. However, does this have a major impact on things? Anyone know?
Quad core is the international edition with 1GB of RAM. Dual core is the local edition with 2GB of RAM. It has to do with the fact that there wasn't a quad core system on chipset design that also had LTE at the time the phone was designed. In theory a quad core device should be faster overall, in practice, the impact in performance won't be that much unless you are counting frames and benchmarking.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #65
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Right on thank you.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #66
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Did anyone read his original post? He said he wants to use it for running. Nike+ GPS is available on both phones. I've used both for running, and can say that the size of the SIII on my armband was a bit annoying, mostly the width of it. There was also a noticeable difference in how long the iPhone 5 battery went down during my typical hour long run when compared to the SIII. Nike+ seems to manage power more effectively with the iPhone.

As for the problems with Apple Maps, none of them have been related to GPS accuracy. Most of what you see on blogs is satellite view not being as clear as Google.

If Google Maps is that important to you, there is a web version that is pretty solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
^^ Actually that was over a month ago. Now Bossy is asking us questions.
I went with the iPhone 5, mostly because I found the S3 too big

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #67
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I went with the iPhone 5, mostly because I found the S3 too big
Sup, girl hands.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #68
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Quad core is the international edition with 1GB of RAM. Dual core is the local edition with 2GB of RAM. It has to do with the fact that there wasn't a quad core system on chipset design that also had LTE at the time the phone was designed. In theory a quad core device should be faster overall, in practice, the impact in performance won't be that much unless you are counting frames and benchmarking.
Going more in-depth here the dual core in that phone is Snapdragon Krait based on a15 where as the quad is based on a9 so the dual core is actually newer tech, more miniaturized and more efficient. In cpu benchmark tests i've seen its basically just as fast as the quad while using less power. It matched up very well with the Nvidia quad Tegra 3 in the HTC One X as well minus the graphics benchmarks.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #69
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Sup, girl hands.
THAAAAAAAAAAAT'S why my hand feels so good on my junk!!!!!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: