Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #261
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Main reason I never bothered with Arena (aside from twitchyness of the experience in general).

Hopefully rated BG's mean there will be some leveling of the playing field. I'm terrible at PVP so I almost never bother with it. No matter what class I play with, I'm killed within 5 seconds by an enemy.

Heck, even in WG playing as horde (we tend to have 8-10 stacks of tenacity) I get CC'd into oblivion and destroyed within 5 seconds by 50 alliance. I can use a trinket to pop out of one, but it's ultimately futile. Not the best game design...
If it is 50 on 1 then I should hope you die fast :P Heh.. I understand where you are coming from. WoW PVP can be terribly frustrating. Any time it is a fair fight survivability is high for almost every class, when the odds tip even slightly though it is just a blow up. That is how the game is deisgned. That is why in most cases, unless you are playing terribles, in 3s if one of your team dies you might as well leave the arena. It is a game design flaw but it comes with the high scaling of gear every 3 months..

I enjoy games where skill can win you a 3 on 1 if you play if your cards right. I can survive a 3 on 1 with my druid healing, but I have zero chance of killing the others. WOW any competent 3 people should be able to just blow up a DPS and ultimately mana drain a healer into oblivion.

In a game like DAOC or UO it wasn't un common to find myself in a 3 on 1 or 6 on 2 fight and come out the victor.. in WOW unless I drastically out gear the opponents this will not happen.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #262
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
If it is 50 on 1 then I should hope you die fast :P Heh.. I understand where you are coming from. WoW PVP can be terribly frustrating. Any time it is a fair fight survivability is high for almost every class, when the odds tip even slightly though it is just a blow up. That is how the game is deisgned. That is why in most cases, unless you are playing terribles, in 3s if one of your team dies you might as well leave the arena. It is a game design flaw but it comes with the high scaling of gear every 3 months..

I enjoy games where skill can win you a 3 on 1 if you play if your cards right. I can survive a 3 on 1 with my druid healing, but I have zero chance of killing the others. WOW any competent 3 people should be able to just blow up a DPS and ultimately mana drain a healer into oblivion.

In a game like DAOC or UO it wasn't un common to find myself in a 3 on 1 or 6 on 2 fight and come out the victor.. in WOW unless I drastically out gear the opponents this will not happen.
Can druid healers still run around for 10 minutes being chased by stupid hunters without dying?

I used to destroy druids with my frost mage, good times...good times.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #263
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

Lantern haven't you learned anything about WOW?

If you want to win a 3v1 or a 6v2 or a 25 v 1 simply go have some fun in STV or Darkshire ; )

But in all honesty, I haven't played the game for over a year now, used to rock the pvp pretty hard, and raiding too. I just found it took up too much time.

Have the changes blizzard made made it worthwhile to come back? Or do priests still blow and are dk's still op?
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #264
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I log in once or twice a week and play BG's, I run mediocore gear because it is still a large time investment for the top stuff.

Druidsarestill tough to kill yes. Most classes are fairly well balanced now a days, but it will never be perfect.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #265
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, I used to put in seriously epic hours when I was still in school. I was that guy with every brand new piece of arena gear and max points saved up for next season.

I hit gladiator twice on two toons, but eventually got sick of the mindless grind for each new piece of gear. There's only so many times you can cap the farm, or kill Drek (on 3 different toons).

I guess my question is has blizzard done anything to really really change the experience, enough so to entice a player to come back for a changed wow gameplay, or should I just wait for Halo:Reach, and Diablo 3?
Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #266
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Yea, I used to put in seriously epic hours when I was still in school. I was that guy with every brand new piece of arena gear and max points saved up for next season.

I hit gladiator twice on two toons, but eventually got sick of the mindless grind for each new piece of gear. There's only so many times you can cap the farm, or kill Drek (on 3 different toons).

I guess my question is has blizzard done anything to really really change the experience, enough so to entice a player to come back for a changed wow gameplay, or should I just wait for Halo:Reach, and Diablo 3?
You may find this interesting. Blizzard just announced today that they're doing a complete overhaul of the talent system for Cataclysm.

Quote:
When we first announced our design goals for class talent trees back at BlizzCon 2009, one of our major stated focuses was to remove some of the boring and "mandatory" passive talents. We mentioned that we wanted talent choices to feel more flavorful and fun, yet more meaningful at the same time. Recently, we had our fansites release information on work-in-progress talent tree previews for druids, priests, shaman, and rogues. From those previews and via alpha test feedback, a primary response we heard was that these trees didn’t incorporate the original design goals discussed at BlizzCon. This response echoes something we have been feeling internally for some time, namely that the talent tree system has not aged well since we first increased the level cap beyond level 60. In an upcoming beta build, we will unveil bold overhauls of all 30 talent trees.
Here's a link to read up about it. http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...te#new_comment
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #267
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting.

They are changing the mechanics of the game a bit I suppose, but I think the redundancy of it still exists.

What I got sick of was the endless quests and grinding that was just a fraction different each time, and ended up taking just a little bit longer as you gained levels for each new type of quest.

I know its a money maker, and that's how Blizz does it, by creating the need to keep playing. I was just hoping that they'd do something cool and fresh with the game, but I guess I will wait and see.

Thanks for the cool link.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #268
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm beginning to treat WoW more like a game of chess or checkers, or hell monopoly.

The game doesn't change much and it is repetitive. But the joy is found playing it with friends. The only times I play anymore is when an out of town buddy and I are on Skype and want to hang out. If in town, we'd go to a bar, but skype + beer + 5 mans are a pretty good substitute.

WoW gets seriously boring if you play it by yourself. It just doesn't translate well as a single player game.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #269
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I agree llama64 it does and it doesn't. It is great that you can log in and instant pug a 5 man, or a BG, or do very little searching for a raid if your gear is good enough. So you can play without a guild, but it is a lot more fun with friends than without, for sure.

IliketoPuck it will still be a grind fest, this is WOW. It will always be about gear, has been from day 1, nothing will change in that aspect.

I actually enjoy the leveling in WOW though, I hate gear treadmill though which is what makes me quit every time. I find that casual PvP in last seasons gear though you can still compete and have fun. This is what I plan to do in Cataclysm. There is no way you can play this game casually though and have the top gear, I have come to terms with that though and I am happy running sub par gear.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #270
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget the 1-60 leveling experience will be completely new in Cataclysm. Almost every single "old world" zone is getting a complete make-over. This means completely new quests, new rewards, new level progression (zone wise). This expansion is going to be the biggest change since the launch of the game. Suddenly there will be incentive for old players to come back to the game and re-live that 1-60 experience, with it almost feeling like a whole new game.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #271
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

MY problem is i'm too crappy for any one to want to arena with me and i have no time to raid/see previous comment.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #272
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

This made me laugh, especially thanks to my hatred of that fool in CIA Miami.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #273
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

they've got lots of stuff like that. isn't there a indiana jones like character? and the harris pilton bag.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #274
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Totally. But look at those sunglasses, all the glitter LOL
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #275
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot_Smooth View Post
they've got lots of stuff like that. isn't there a indiana jones like character? and the harris pilton bag.
You would be referring to Harrison Jones:

Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #276
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just when I thought I might not get the expansion.

Undead on a Raptor on a Shark with frickin' laser beams!

LOL, frickin awesome

Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote