Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2024, 03:00 PM   #101
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Francis is a dick, but he reported this one straight. Does Ras look happy to you?
If he looked happy people would be in here grilling him that he should be a bit more down about how the season went and that they missed playoffs yet again.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 03:02 PM   #102
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The draft is Conroys favorite part of his job. I love it.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:02 PM   #103
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
What happens if we hold onto Mange and he still only got 10 goals by the deadline? He will still fetch nothing substantial IF there were even takers.

I say trade him ASAP...
Well he only had 14 this year, so if he had 10 by the deadline next year he'd be on the up.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 03:03 PM   #104
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Francis is a dick, but he reported this one straight. Does Ras look happy to you?
Yeah I also don't think he took the most telling part of the quote.

The part about his age, and wanting to win etc, pretty much told the story.

I don't think Francis was making up a story there at all.

Really felt like Andersson is unsure at the very least...and history would show that Flames should take that seriously based on how the last couple offseasons now.

Don't wait until you are handcuffed and can't actually get the best package to move the player.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 03:03 PM   #105
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, don't expect a big UFA season from Conny. Said so just now.

Trades? He's all about it. Sounds like he's a kid in a candy store when he visits the land of misfit toys. He's gonna go after guys that dont fit on their teams but might fit on the Flames.

I fully trust his process there. He nailed all of his misfit toy trades IMO. Sharkbait, Kuzmenko, Miromanov.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:06 PM   #106
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I'll be honest Markstrom wasn't great that series, but I've actually softened my position on how much was his fault.

The Flames probably needed to stop giving McDavid and Draisaitl odd man rushes and grade A changes.

Flames had an .853 save percentage in that series. But it was .788 with McDavid on the ice and .918 with McDavid off the ice.

They gave up 35 High Danger Chances with McDavid on the ice in that series...in 5 games.

McDavid on ice - Oilers outscored Flames 18-6:
HDGF: 9 - 0
MDGF: 6 - 4
LDGF: 2 -2

McDavid off ice - Flames outscored Oilers 14-7:
HDGF: 4 - 6
MDGF: 2 - 6
LDGF: 1 - 1

The team as a whole did such a terrible job defending McDavid in that series, and the entire difference in the series was getting outscored 9-0 in High Danger chances with McDavid on the ice.

Flames outscored the Oilers 19-15 otherwise, but got outscored 9-0 in high danger with 97 on the ice. Sutter had no answer to 97-29 on the ice and refused to line match them.

His play last season was a lot worse than that playoff series IMO.
I think all the attention to McDavid gave Hyman an awful lot of space too.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:09 PM   #107
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Conroy: "I would love to do some of the trades I've heard on the radio."
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:25 PM   #108
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Trades? He's all about it. Sounds like he's a kid in a candy store when he visits the land of misfit toys. He's gonna go after guys that dont fit on their teams but might fit on the Flames.

I fully trust his process there. He nailed all of his misfit toy trades IMO. Sharkbait, Kuzmenko, Miromanov.
Looking at names that potentially fit the bill into the offseason as either cap dumps, or RFAs teams may not want to give a raise to.

Timothy Liljegren
Brett Howden
Oliver Wahlstrom

Samuel Girard
Christian Dvorak
Reilly Smith
Noah Cates
Eetu Luostarinen
Esa Lindell
Kotkaniemi
Old 04-19-2024, 03:32 PM   #109
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What was with Sharangovichs response to staying in Calgary beyond next season?

Didnt sound overly optimistic.
EDMONTONisNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:44 PM   #110
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Conroy references Dallas as a team to look at between drafting well and bringing in good people"

Best thing to come out of Conroy's presser. That is THE model we should be aspiring to. And crushing some draft picks is key.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:48 PM   #111
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dallas had a phenomenal 2017 draft with 3 points in the first 40 picks including a 3rd overall stud dman. Flames need something similar to come out as fast as Dallas did in their “rebuild” and a lottery win would sure help that!
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:56 PM   #112
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTONisNG View Post
What was with Sharangovichs response to staying in Calgary beyond next season?

Didnt sound overly optimistic.
Hard to know how to take it. He's still not fully comfortable with speaking English. It seemed like he didn't want to "radio" himself.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:03 PM   #113
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's fine to hope for the dallas model but I wouldn't bank on the same results and our retool just being two years.

Alot went right for them in that 2017 draft.

They were 6th in their division two years in a row. 2017 and 2018.

2017 - 7 draft picks (2 firsts) - they get 3rd oa and draft a #1D, they draft a #1 goalie and a top pairing winger within 5 years.

2018 - 8 draft picks - they end up with 13th oa and end up with a middle 6 center so far. Noone else looks like an NHLer yet.

Just shows the duality of it. They were very fortunate.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:14 PM   #114
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a bit disappointed that Huberdeau isnt going to play for Team Canada. I think he could really benefit with playing with a new group of above average players to continue building on his momentum.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:15 PM   #115
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: Going to make this it's own thread instead.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-19-2024 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:15 PM   #116
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
That's not the issue. Francis reported the part of the interview that most makes it seem Andersson is unhappy. He always has an angle. I just listened to the whole 10 minute interview, and Rasmus is not happy, you are right, but he's not happy particularly because (and he said as much) he doesnt want to be done playing hockey on April 19th and facing the media this early.

I thought Rasmus was mature, insightful and honest in that interview. He didnt sugarcoat anything but also made it clear that him and Conroy talk a lot, have a 10 year relationship and are on the same page. I think Rasmus wants to win and will have to decide over the next couple of years if he can do that here, but i get the feeling he'd rather do it here than somewhere else
The big problem is the players hate it too, it does have an affect on them when he singles out the negative as his headline. Players have said after they move on that one of the best things is not having to deal with Eric Francis. Francis doesn't care though, he has said on the Francis hour he isn't a Flames fan, he is a neutral party that stirs the pot for clicks. Another reason to hate SN is they give this clown a huge platform to do his damage.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:15 PM   #117
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Good.

This is taking from the Bill Zito playbook. It's how he managed to fill out the roster around his core pieces: Verhaeghe, Forsling, Benett, Montour etc.

Just because a guy is on a bad team, or not performing well on any team, doesn't mean there isn't a good player in there somewhere. I've been happy with the guys you mentioned, but also a player like Pachal, who I hadn't even heard of until the they picked him up on waivers. He's already a solid bottom pairing d-man with potential to be more.

That's being a good GM. Find diamonds in the rough and give them an opportunity to be part of a growing team. Those guys on waivers will love the team forever for the chance given to them.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:16 PM   #118
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Everyone seems to like Huska. I mean... you can't be really critical of the guy who'll control your ice-time next year but they seem genuine with their praise.
Of course they do, he is a well spoken players coach. That doesn't mean he knows wtf he is doing. I listened to his presser and what he said kind of confirmed my belief in that.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:19 PM   #119
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Looking at names that potentially fit the bill into the offseason as either cap dumps, or RFAs teams may not want to give a raise to.

Timothy Liljegren
Brett Howden
Oliver Wahlstrom

Samuel Girard
Christian Dvorak
Reilly Smith
Noah Cates
Eetu Luostarinen
Esa Lindell
Kotkaniemi
I'll just add my two cents about Eetu: He's really underrated. He's not ever going to be more than a 10-15 goal guy, but he has a really good motor and is a highly effective checker. Can play wing or center. He's got a very good 200 foot game and would be a good staple on a team's 3rd line. I'm imagining him centering Pospisil and it already makes me smile.

But no, you can't have him.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:38 PM   #120
Bubba17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Let's just hope Markstrom has multiple suitors for him this off season and that he's willing to go to any of these places. Otherwise Conroy is just going to have to take whatever lowball offer is on the table.
No he doesn't. He can hold on to Markstrom for 2 years, so maybe if he can't get something done this offseason he waits until the trade deadline the following year.
Bubba17 is offline   Reply With Quote