Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cages?

Friday afternoon and just looking for some discussion.

I watched an interview with Bouma where I guess Bob Hartley said he wanted him to keep his cage, because he's never seen someone so fearless. I've thought about this before, but it brought it back into my head, why not?

What is wrong with NHL players wearing cages? With all the talk of injuries and concussions, you'd think the first they would look to is something like cages. They can greatly reduce the impact a headshot makes.

Shot blocking is seriously dangerous. I'm honestly shocked that more people haven't died doing it, especially with the velocity on some players' shots. Players walk away from hockey with missing teeth, broken facial bones, in some cases losing eye sight. How has the thought, "why don't I wear a cage?" popped into their minds?

It's a pure macho issue, there is no other explanation. NFL players wear cages, and arguably take less impact on hits than hockey players. Hockey also has the added bonuses of: each player having a graphite spear that can be wielded irresponsibly; two razer sharp blades per person, sometimes sliding wildly into goalies or piles of people with very little control; and a hard, frozen rubber disk with sharp edges being whipped around an enclosed surface at over 100 mph. How are these guys not armoured to the teeth? A neck guard even (and we've seen some horrific incidents involving a lack of those). I can understand when they were gigantic rolls of padding that choked you, but they are barely more than a turtleneck at this point. Is it toughness, or stupidity?

Hit me CP.

EDIT: I think I should add that I have played hockey my whole life, and I have worn and understand the discomfort of a cage. But I never found it to be a huge hindrance on my play when compared with having something to stop a puck from smashing my face while blocking a shot.

Last edited by Coach; 10-24-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Friday afternoon and just looking for some discussion.

I watched an interview with Bouma where I guess Bob Hartley said he wanted him to keep his cage, because he's never seen someone so fearless. I've thought about this before, but it brought it back into my head, why not?

What is wrong with NHL players wearing cages? With all the talk of injuries and concussions, you'd think the first they would look to is something like cages. They can greatly reduce the impact a headshot makes.

Shot blocking is seriously dangerous. I'm honestly shocked that more people haven't died doing it, especially with the velocity on some players' shots. Players walk away from hockey with missing teeth, broken facial bones, in some cases losing eye sight. How has the thought, "why don't I wear a cage?" popped into their minds?

It's a pure macho issue, there is no other explanation. NFL players wear cages, and arguably take less impact on hits than hockey players. Hockey also has the added bonuses of: each player having a graphite spear that can be wielded irresponsibly; two razer sharp blades per person, sometimes sliding wildly into goalies or piles of people with very little control; and a hard, frozen rubber disk with sharp edges being whipped around an enclosed surface at over 100 mph. How are these guys not armoured to the teeth? A neck guard even (and we've seen some horrific incidents involving a lack of those). I can understand when they were gigantic rolls of padding that choked you, but they are barely more than a turtleneck at this point. Is it toughness, or stupidity?

Hit me CP.
I think you underestimate the force in NFL hits.

But yes, eventually they'll be wearing cages and yes it's probably a macho issue.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're uncomfortable. When I was done with minor hockey the first thing I did was break that thing off my helmet and throw it in the garbage.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think you underestimate the force in NFL hits.

But yes, eventually they'll be wearing cages and yes it's probably a macho issue.
I did say arguably. I purely base it on players moving quite a bit faster and the added danger of the boards and hard ice vs grass.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A cage makes it more difficult to see the puck and is just generally irritating to have to look through constantly when you have the option not to. Wear one sitting in front of your computer for a while and tell us if doesn't annoy the hell out of you. Now imagine trying to track a small black piece of rubber that is the same color as your cage.

On a lesser note, they also make it really hard to drink water.
Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
They're uncomfortable. When I was done with minor hockey the first thing I did was break that thing off my helmet and throw it in the garbage.
I did the same thing, except use a visor. But this isn't beer league where people tend to keep shots and sticks down, the NHL is a whole different level of intensity and speed. Is comfort really a huge issue when you're talking about serious, life altering injuries, that happen relatively frequently? I'm surprised the owners haven't made more of a fuss about making it mandatory, considering the amount of money they invest in these people. Any other hazardous workplace has strict safety guidelines, so what makes a sport any different?

Maybe putting yourself at physical risk is just a part of any contact sport? Part of the rush of playing it?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure the Bob Hartley quote you're thinking of was in regards to a visor. Bouma used to wear one, took it off, Hartley wants him to wear it again.

Maybe he said something similiar about the cage too but he did say it about visors.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallick View Post
A cage makes it more difficult to see the puck and is just generally irritating to have to look through constantly when you have the option not to. Wear one sitting in front of your computer for a while and tell us if doesn't annoy the hell out of you. Now imagine trying to track a small black piece of rubber that is the same color as your cage.

On a lesser note, they also make it really hard to drink water.
I've played hockey my whole life and know the annoyances of a cage for sure. But to me it just doesn't seem to be worth it when weighing the risks. Why, as we go up higher levels, where the speed and physicality increase, do we remove the safety that we impose on ourselves as children and young adults?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Pretty sure the Bob Hartley quote you're thinking of was in regards to a visor. Bouma used to wear one, took it off, Hartley wants him to wear it again.

Maybe he said something similiar about the cage too but he did say it about visors.
Kristin Hallett mentioned it in an interview with him I just watched. Too lazy to link it. "Would be more comfortable if he wore it." Obviously kidding, but there's truth to it I'm sure. I've coached high level Bantam for a few years and I would cringe every time one of those kids took a bad hit. I can't imagine it at the NHL pace.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I've played hockey my whole life and know the annoyances of a cage for sure. But to me it just doesn't seem to be worth it when weighing the risks. Why, as we go up higher levels, where the speed and physicality increase, do we remove the safety that we impose on ourselves as children and young adults?
Consider it a remaining artifact of the no-helmet days. It's only in the last decade or so that people have even been considering grandfathering in mandatory half shields. At this point in time I guess there just haven't been enough serious facial injuries for players or the league to consider changing the rules, and as long as the rules allow players to go without, they will. Professional athletes are stubborn and superstitious - look at some of the rituals that players go through before every game.
Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bouma needs two helmets: One for 5 v 5, and one with a full cage for the PK.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think visors are good enough, they protect the important parts. You can buy a shiny new set of teeth after retiring. Eyeballs, not so much
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

People play with cages their whole life. They don't suddenly become blind with it in when they turn 16. They should probably wear a full cages but doubt it happens anytime soon.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can recall gio opting for the full cage vs half measures last time he was recovering from injury. I remember him mentioning that he was more used to it from junior days.

As the captain of our team I still cringe at the idea of gio going no visor. I would like to thank Hartley here, he may be old school but he has been a proponent of vision protection, mostly because he loves blocked shots. He even convinced glencross to wear one. But not gio :-(

It's funny that goalies can stop 100 mph pucks donning their masks but that full cages look like they're from the 80's. Bouma looks like a nerd out there right now even though he's as tough as they come. How about a full cage redesign? I think we're due for one
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a fan of full cages in the NHL, but rec leagues absolutely. To me, it's a marketing thing in the NHL.

That being said, Crosby hasn't been the same since his puck to the face, a full cage would have definitely saved him.

Easy arguments from both sides.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #16
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cages are dangerous in hits when not all players are wearing them

Not allowed the cage in NHL unless you're injured
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #17
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had pretty bad jaw issue when I wore a cage in my early 20's. Basically every scrum, play along the boards etc the cage was hitting or twisting my jaw. It was very painful to the point of not eating for days. Took the cage off and jaw issues went away.

Although I just blasted a puck into a guys nose/mouth a few weeks back when he dove in front of my shot. Face first shot block in the 3rd when we were up 7 or 8 nothing. Guy was going to need some surgery after that. A few guys showed up with full cages for the next game.

You still see it from time to time, guys razing others that wear a full cage. I never disparage someone looking out for their safety. We all have to work the next day.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #18
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

As mentioned several times - it is a huge PITA to have one on. Over the last few years I have played in rec leagues with different rules. I always forget how much I hate a cage until I am forced to go back to it for a specific league.
It doesnt seem like a big issue however a black puck and looking through a cage can make it difficult. Its even worse when your trying to find a puck in a scrum or in your feet.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

The goalie mask was also invented to protect a player who was recovering from an injury – Clint Benedict, back in the 1920s.

That plug-ugly creation came off Benedict's face as soon as his broken nose healed, because the crude design blocked his vision rather badly. But Jacques Plante's second design was better, and goalie masks have been improving ever since. It would be hard to argue that a modern mask inhibits the goalie's eyesight in any meaningful way.

I'm sure the same thing can happen with cages for skaters, and will, given a chance.
Tex
Old 10-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it is a macho thing. The rec league I played in required half shields and ear protection pieces. Guys wear the safety gear for 40 rec games but when we simply go for full gear shinny, some guys remove their visors. I don't get it. Goalie masks have much better designs than cages. Simply changing the squares to be similar in shale to the goalie masks would increase vision.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote