Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #41
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds like a your damned if you do your damned if you don't type situation.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #42
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Sounds like a your damned if you do your damned if you don't type situation.

Like I said, people will complain no matter what. Make the decision that errs on the side of caution. Jesus people it's like a few minutes unclench your bum cheeks it's not a big deal
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #43
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
There's a poster somewhere on CP that said he dropped his season tickets because of the introduction of the metal detectors. Just wow, I couldn't even fathom wth is going through that guy's head.

A little annoying? Sure. The intention is to increase public safety, if it means leaving 5 minutes earlier I really don't see the problem. I applaud them doing this.
I think it had to do with him not being allowed to bring his pocket knife to games. Might not be the same poster, but also a silly reason to get in a tif
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #44
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
These safety measures have been in place in NHL rinks in the US for years. It's no big deal and seems like something silly to get worked up over.
Everyone gets wand'ed going into Nashville.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #45
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

No purses, bags, backpacks, etc - correct? Just whatever money you can carry on your person, your phone, and jacket?
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #46
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
No purses, bags, backpacks, etc - correct? Just whatever money you can carry on your person, your phone, and jacket?
No, you can bring in a purse or diaper bag, for example, they'll shine a flashlight into it to see what you're bringing in. We always bring in my kid's diaper bag when she comes to the game with us and haven't had any issues doing so.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #47
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a waste of time and money. Took me ten minutes on saturday to get in and I cut in front of a bunch of people. Had two people tell me to hold my phone above my head. Buzzer went off as I went in and I got yelled at to keep moving when I looked around for someone to talk to.

All because there's a few crazy people in the world? If I had to pick somewhere to fire on, the gigantic pile of people waiting at the door would be the best place to do it. What a useless false sense of security. I'm sure they found a few mickeys on some teenagers though.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #48
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
What a waste of time and money. Took me ten minutes on saturday to get in and I cut in front of a bunch of people. Had two people tell me to hold my phone above my head. Buzzer went off as I went in and I got yelled at to keep moving when I looked around for someone to talk to.

All because there's a few crazy people in the world? If I had to pick somewhere to fire on, the gigantic pile of people waiting at the door would be the best place to do it. What a useless false sense of security. I'm sure they found a few mickeys on some teenagers though.
Well, you sound like a nice chap.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #49
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Well, you sound like a nice chap.
Well all the mouth breathers all lined up in the same line towards the middle. Took me a minute to figure out the other lines around the store were a 1/4 of the size. I regret nothing.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #50
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
If I had to pick somewhere to fire on, the gigantic pile of people waiting at the door would be the best place to do it.
For someone who seems emotionally volatile and easily upset (ie. getting really mad at having to walk through a metal detector and calling people mouth breathers for lining up in an orderly fashion), it surprises me that you're not more sensitive to the recent tragic events that have occurred and that you say boneheaded things like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #51
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For someone who seems emotionally volatile and easily upset (ie. getting really mad at having to walk through a metal detector and calling people mouth breathers for lining up in an orderly fashion), it surprises me that you're not more sensitive to the recent tragic events that have occurred and that you say boneheaded things like this.
heep, leave him alone. The poor guy can't play through a season without getting hurt. He has to be careful of the mouth breathers, he may trip over them and get a season ending toe injury!

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #52
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not mad, just annoyed. Just seems like a political promise to me. Doesn't mean anything besides being a nice facade.

And why is that boneheaded? I assume these security changes are a result from the recent shootings. Why is it insensitive to see the huge logical flaws in the security. The west entrance was not built to hold as many people as were stuffed in there on saturday. Probably raises more risks than it potentially solves.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #53
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
It's completely token security. Every single detector goes off for every person going through. And the questions they ask you? Ridiculous. "Do you have anything in your pockets?" Of course I do. So, do they change their response to your answer? No. And they shouldn't. Because everybody carries metal things.

And the whole raising your cellphone and wallet over your head? The only thing it does is see who is compliant with their requests, because it doesn't stop the detector going off, and doesn't show you have nothing else in your pocket.

There is absolutely nothing this accomplishes except limiting liability. If it was effective, I may have a different opinion on this, but the amount of inconvenience and assumption that an unchecked person is a dangerous person, is in no way worth the cost. No matter how insignificant.

No one gains but the lawyers.
If you look on the inside-facing side of the scanner, you can see a small display screen at the top of the device that gives them information when you pass through. (and if the security person is doing their job, they are glancing up after each scan.) Yes, it goes off every time because you are still bringing metal objects through (i.e.: keys), but the display is telling them where the metal registers.

You are, however, correct on the scanning also being largely token. I often pass through with my keys around chest height, just because, and I've only ever gotten a "please raise them higher next time" rather than any increased scrutiny.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #54
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not mad, just annoyed. Just seems like a political promise to me. Doesn't mean anything besides being a nice facade.

And why is that boneheaded? I assume these security changes are a result from the recent shootings. Why is it insensitive to see the huge logical flaws in the security. The west entrance was not built to hold as many people as were stuffed in there on saturday. Probably raises more risks than it potentially solves.
Actually they had them in before the "recent shootings"
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #55
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
No, you can bring in a purse or diaper bag, for example, they'll shine a flashlight into it to see what you're bringing in. We always bring in my kid's diaper bag when she comes to the game with us and haven't had any issues doing so.

so what happens when the nux come to town, are they going to shine a flashlight down the throat of every "d" bag wearing a nux jersey?
Old 10-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #56
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Actually they had them in before the "recent shootings"
Yep. The Flames say it was league mandated, and every NHL arena I've been in for the last two years has had at least similar security. The Heritage Classic in Vancouver even had a pat-down process in place - though despite claims, was probably more to keep outside food away than anything else.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #57
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:

The detectors would stop anybody from getting into the building with a basic explosive device or a gun stuffed in their pants. Not sure how this doesn't improve general public safety in hockey games . When you walk through the detectors it shows the staff where the metal is on your body.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #58
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

It is not a big deal. Either go through the metal detector, and be possibly searched, or stay home and shut up. End of story.

Last edited by Iggy Snipe; 10-27-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post: