Exp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

So I walk through the scanner with my phone and wallet above my head and it buzzes.

The girl asked if I had anything else in my pockets. I said no.

She thought for a second then said "Its ok". Guess we're using the honour system?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #23
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
10 minutes waiting = 10 minute loss of life?

fact is, even with no security, its gonna take an allotted amount of time to have that many people enter through that few doors.
Without security I have never waited more then a minute.

I do put see almost zero utility with waiting in line but let's say it's only half wasted it still wastes 3 person years of life for zero benefit.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's completely token security. Every single detector goes off for every person going through. And the questions they ask you? Ridiculous. "Do you have anything in your pockets?" Of course I do. So, do they change their response to your answer? No. And they shouldn't. Because everybody carries metal things.

And the whole raising your cellphone and wallet over your head? The only thing it does is see who is compliant with their requests, because it doesn't stop the detector going off, and doesn't show you have nothing else in your pocket.

There is absolutely nothing this accomplishes except limiting liability. If it was effective, I may have a different opinion on this, but the amount of inconvenience and assumption that an unchecked person is a dangerous person, is in no way worth the cost. No matter how insignificant.

No one gains but the lawyers.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #25
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

At the end of the day, the security system boils down to keeping alcohol out of the dome that isn't sold by the vendors. That's why they got rid of the cups and allow you to have the cans now, because everyone is screened.

They save money on the cups, the pour time and probably sell much more.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #26
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Arrived at 630 and got through in 1 minute. Not sure the big deal.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #27
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't notice anymore increased level of security just that there was more of them.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #28
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know about this year but in previous years you could easily sneak in the dome in the intermissions. You could literally just walk right in where everyone was smoking.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #29
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post

People love to complain about anything and everything.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
I didn't notice anymore increased level of security just that there was more of them.
Pretty much. There were two extra cops in the foyer of the west entrance. That was all I saw. They were probably conducting more bag checks, but that is likely the extent of the enhanced security.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #31
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I don't know about this year but in previous years you could easily sneak in the dome in the intermissions. You could literally just walk right in where everyone was smoking.
They have begun to fence some of those areas off. In fact, when i had to leave one of the pre-season games early, a security guard forced me to walk all the way around the building to get off the grounds because one of these fenced off smoking areas completely blocked off the outside walkway.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

The one thing I hope is that we as Canadians are wise enough not to change our society from one of freedom and openness to one of paranoia in the attempt to protect ourselves from random crazies.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The added security predates the shooting. I had the same "detector goes off, securi waves me thru" experience at the Russell Petes show.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #34
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

From what I can tell the "walk through the metal detector" bit was no different last night then any games I attended last season. Kinda expected a CF getting in so we grabbed a quick dinner instead of sitting the pub for a few pints. Should have gone with the pub and headed over 20-30 mins to game time.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #35
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
It's completely token security. Every single detector goes off for every person going through. And the questions they ask you? Ridiculous. "Do you have anything in your pockets?" Of course I do. So, do they change their response to your answer? No. And they shouldn't. Because everybody carries metal things.

And the whole raising your cellphone and wallet over your head? The only thing it does is see who is compliant with their requests, because it doesn't stop the detector going off, and doesn't show you have nothing else in your pocket.

There is absolutely nothing this accomplishes except limiting liability. If it was effective, I may have a different opinion on this, but the amount of inconvenience and assumption that an unchecked person is a dangerous person, is in no way worth the cost. No matter how insignificant.

Doesn't the machine tell them where the metal is? So if the little metal detector meter on the side of the machine doesn't go up past your head obviously you have something in your pockets/jacket/boot?

I've seen people get pulled aside.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

My phone over my head set it off. Then again, I'm gaudreau sized (height only).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #37
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean it will show in relation to the size of the detector where it is detecting.. So above your head = what you are holding, shouldn't be anything below.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #38
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post

Without spilling beans which could lessen the benefit of the security, you are mistaken.
And how do the lawyers gain?
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #39
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
When was the last time anything happened at the Saddledome beyond some drunk being an a-hole? It's not a risk. It's never been a risk. It didn't become a risk because someone did something evil 3000 kilometers away. This is ####ing Canada.

Obviously on a very small scale, but this is literally how terrorists win. Even on a tragedy the scale of 9/11. 3000 people died, and the US spent several trillion dollars on two wars they couldn't win, obliterated their own civil liberties and protections, created a culture of fear and mistrust among the most powerful nation on earth. Oh but they got bin Laden. Worth it.

9/11 was a horrible tragedy. It was also an outlier. Let's overreact to the thing that never ever happens, and in the name of it never ever happening again, let's completely renounce most of the things that were worth fighting for in the first place.
I actually agree with sentiment of your post entirely. But a few things:

- when was the last time something happened T the dome? When was the last time something happened at the war memorial before this week? Realize it doesn't change your point, but really only guarding places that things have happened at before seems incredibly short sited.
- I would also think that right after something like this happens is when a couple of things happen that lead to more security:
1. Copy cat crimes probably go up as losers try to jump on e bandwagon
2. I bet it brings more crazies out who make threats on locations. These won't all get disclosed to the public, as likely they aren't credible but you still, don't want to be caught holding the bag not having ramped up security after receiving an increase in threats.

And finally, to your point it's all about levels. Do I think having to go through a metal detector to go through games is really the terrorist winning because it's adding complexity and fear and inconvenience to our lives, no. Doesn't really do any of those things, and it's a mild inconvenience at most, and was likely not brought in to stop terror more so than violence amount fans.

On the flip side,mi had a friend critique the London public transit system,e after the attacks in 2005. His stance was they new it was a risk, they should have had airport style security to use the underground and bus'. My reaction to him was exactly the same as your to this. Do that, and the terrorists win. The whole point of public transit is to have a quick easy and cost effective way to get around. Add security checks to that and you completely ruin the point and system, too much caution and change in that case. For me, having checks at a sporting event just doesn't really add much pain, so why not.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #40
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post

Yeah, it takes less than a minute any time I've gone thru at any events. Never had reason for them to investigate further though as there is absolutely no point in non-compliance.

Also, I've almost never been to a game on time, so the impact is really insignificant. Judging from the seating when I arrive, there are a ton of people who also don't experience a huge line.