Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Friedman's 30 Thoughts - Oct 23

some analysis on TJ Brodie's new contract

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...ud-defencemen/

other interesting tidbits:
Quote:
5. Boston and Buffalo did talk quite seriously about Chris Stewart, but it doesn’t appear at this time to be a match. According to other teams, the Sabres want two young players (or a young player and a draft pick) for the winger and couldn’t reach an agreement with the Bruins. Buffalo won’t make the move early unless it gets what it wants.

6. Those same teams believe Buffalo’s asking price for Tyler Myers is so high because of a worry he’ll go to a better team and make them look silly for trading him.
Quote:
13. It didn’t register much at the time, but Patrick Roy’s open disappointment during training camp with 2013 second-rounder Chris Bigras and 2014 top selection Conner Bleackley was foreshadowing. The Avalanche fired Rick Pracey last week, their director of amateur scouting, who pre-dated Roy. Tension began when Roy arrived, since Colorado didn’t have Nathan MacKinnon atop their 2013 draft list. Roy made it very clear MacKinnon would be the pick. Can’t argue with that on
Quote:
15. MacKinnon beat three-time Olympic short-track speed-skating gold medallist Charles Hamelin in a quick race set up by CCM. How much burst does Colorado’s tremendous forward have? A company called PowerScout hockey is starting to track both top speed and acceleration through a computer program that uses three cameras set up around a rink.

16. The sample size is small (one-to-six times per player), but growing, and PowerScout (for business reasons) won’t allow its videos to be posted. The data I did see was compelling. MacKinnon was not one of the quickest accelerators (Alexander Ovechkin was first among those tracked, followed by Erik Karlsson, Ryan Kesler and Taylor Hall), but only Carl Hagelin had a faster highest speed, at slightly above 37 kilometres per hour. MacKinnon was tied for second, with Phil Kessel. (You can see some of that information here)

17. Not yet public is tracking indicating how much a player skates at a pace above 20 kilometres per hour. I saw a little bit of that information. Only three men stayed at that speed more than 40 percent of the time with at least 10 minutes of five-on-five play. They were Hagelin (44.2 per cent of 13:36), Sidney Crosby (42.4 of 19:19) and Joe Colborne (41.7 of 12:29)..
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Here is the skating data. Sean Monahan is on the chart:

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sounds like MacT isn't panicking yet, but you would think he would actively be trying to improve his team. Or at least that's what a good GM would be doing.

Always enjoy reading Friedman's 30 thoughts.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Day Tripper
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
13. It didn’t register much at the time, but Patrick Roy’s open disappointment during training camp with 2013 second-rounder Chris Bigras and 2014 top selection Conner Bleackley was foreshadowing. The Avalanche fired Rick Pracey last week, their director of amateur scouting, who pre-dated Roy. Tension began when Roy arrived, since Colorado didn’t have Nathan MacKinnon atop their 2013 draft list. Roy made it very clear MacKinnon would be the pick. Can’t argue with that on
That's interesting considering this post from before the draft: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1449943
Day Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
6. Those same teams believe Buffalo’s asking price for Tyler Myers is so high because of a worry he’ll go to a better team and make them look silly for trading him.
Buffalo has a right to worry as Myers is going to be stud (top pairing) defenceman down the road. Buffalo might not be the best enviroment for his development but I do think some team to eventually going to give them close to what they want. I hope the Flames is that team.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Myers will thrive with another team just like any of the oiler players will do better with a better team. Those bad teams are bad for a reason.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Myers will thrive with another team just like any of the oiler players will do better with a better team. Those bad teams are bad for a reason.
Id be prone to agree if Myers only had one bad year, however he has been on a downwards trend for a while now. He still has potential, I just don't think he is a guarantee to turn it around.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty much what you'd expect from Oiler management. Just a bizarre org run by 80's sentimentalism.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Id be prone to agree if Myers only had one bad year, however he has been on a downwards trend for a while now. He still has potential, I just don't think he is a guarantee to turn it around.
Myers had was much better last year after Nolan took over.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

this was mentioned in the TJ Brodie signing thread, but very very true

Quote:
Spending the last few days researching TJ Brodie’s now-completed contract extension leads to one inevitable conclusion: if you’ve got a good, young blueliner on your roster, hold on to him like he’s a Sparkling Elsa doll during the upcoming Christmas rush. (Ask your daughter.) Difference makers on defence will be very hard to find
Quote:
I counted seven: Cody Franson, Alec Martinez and Jeff Petry (all 27 and UFAs next July 1); Luke Schenn (26 in 2016); Victor Hedman and Dmitri Kulikov (both 26 in 2017); and Cam Fowler (26 in 2018). That’s not much, and there’s no guarantee all of them — especially Hedman — go up for bid.
Who would you take over Brodie in that group? Hedman? Sure. You can debate Fowler. Anyone else? He compares very favourably.
I often think that teams look at flashy offensive star power and overlook the importance of a strong blueline (see: Avs)....... but getting a young top blueliner to stabalize your team is very very difficult and a very difficult commodity to acquire.

I think we are about 1 blueliner from being very very solid... In addition to Brodie/Gio, I think Wotherspoon is goign to be a top 4er.. we'll have to see about Sieloff but adding 1 more to that group would be great.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you'd agree that if he stays in buffalo he'll continue to decline. Some players need a change of pace, getting used to losing and not caring has to take its toll on players. I'm guessing that there just isn't a sense of pride on the sabres and players are not taking pride in their play because of it.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another thing, Myers is a putz of a hockey player and I suspect whoever takes him on is getting the next Redden/ L Schenn
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Another thing, Myers is a putz of a hockey player and I suspect whoever takes him on is getting the next Redden/ L Schenn
When I saw him in Kamloops when he was with the rockets I was surprised at how bad he was for a highly touted player. Then he goes and wins the Calder and I thought I was just hockey blind. Maybe just a flash in the pan
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Re. #17
I wonder how big of a sample size has Joe Colborne in top 3 of speedy players? Getting him for a 4th was a steal. Dare I say role reversal. Flames fleece Leafs.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
When I saw him in Kamloops when he was with the rockets I was surprised at how bad he was for a highly touted player. Then he goes and wins the Calder and I thought I was just hockey blind. Maybe just a flash in the pan
Bad coaching and a losing enviroment are a detrement to his game and development. His game will continue to decline if he stays with Buffalo.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Or Maybe he is like Chara, someone who needs some coaching and needs to play with a guy just like Redden. Chara's first 4 season's as a pro were forgettable on a crap team as well. Not saying Myers is forgettable but he has been since the contract.

Pre Ottawa Chara (Parts of 4 seasons)
GP= 231 G=6 A=23 PTS=29 +/- (-62)
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
Or Maybe he is like Chara, someone who needs some coaching and needs to play with a guy just like Redden. Chara's first 4 season's as a pro were forgettable on a crap team as well. Not saying Myers is forgettable but he has been since the contract.

Pre Ottawa Chara (Parts of 4 seasons)
GP= 231 G=6 A=23 PTS=29 +/- (-62)
He's been forgettable since before the contract. He's had 1 decent year.

You might say 10 goals is amazing for a rookie defenseman, and that's true, but that's the extent of his greatness. One rookie season at 10 goals
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was the Flames I would trade Sven + Culkin for Myers but not much more. Right now he's overpaid and still has 4 more years after this season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
firecenter
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Doesn't every team want a Tyler Myers? Why again are the Sabres shopping him? These moves always confuse me...
firecenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
If I was the Flames I would trade Sven + Culkin for Myers but not much more. Right now he's overpaid and still has 4 more years after this season.
If you were the Flames? You're fire, isn't that close enough???? Make that deal happen!