Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #41
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

No, it really isn't.

We're basically in the same spot we were last year after 7. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #42
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know its sacrilegious tosay, but its crossed my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Everyone immediately jumps to "EDMONTON!" as a retort to these kind of threads as if it was solely the fact that Edmonton picked first overall a couple of times that causes them to be a dumpster fire. There is a whole lot more than that involved in these disaster franchises.
I kind of wonder why people don't say "COLORDO" instead...

Kind of funny in a way, kind of reminds me of a few years ago, one of the last games of the season, we are already out of the playoffs and Steve Begin decides to have to the game of his life and moved us 2 positions down in the draft pick lottery (or something like that).

Either way, whatever... winning is fun, but still would be ok with short to pain for long term gain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #43
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
Its a long shot for us to draft McDavid anyway. Even if we do, even if he ends up being as good as Crosby, there is no guarantee of success.

Look at the Pens. They have the two best players in the world, and have only 1 cup to show for it. While CHI and LAK each have two in the last 5-6 years. I dont know how many will agree with me, but they disappointed. So far anyway.

Besides, who's to say McDavid won't end up like Lindros. One cheap shot, one unlucky play is all it takes...

There are far too many variables in play.
No I completely agree with your post, am thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want the next Crosby and Malkin. Rather build a good team with key players at every position... not pick up your 1st line wingers at the frickin trade deadline every year because all your cap hit is tied up in 2 guys made of glass.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #44
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

A positive thing is that if both tenders continue to play well - that becomes a pretty valuable trade chip.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #45
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Its a long shot for us to draft McDavid anyway. Even if we do, even if he ends up being as good as Crosby, there is no guarantee of success.

Look at the Pens. They have the two best players in the world, and have only 1 cup to show for it. While CHI and LAK each have two in the last 5-6 years. I dont know how many will agree with me, but they disappointed. So far anyway.

Besides, who's to say McDavid won't end up like Lindros. One cheap shot, one unlucky play is all it takes...

I guess so but I sure would take 1 cup. I don't need a dynasty - one would do me just fine.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #46
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Off topic, but I hate when my Lions are brought up as the example. Don't get me wrong they deserve every bit of it. I just can't wait for the day that they aren't the shining example of ineptitude.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #47
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I kind of wonder why people don't say "COLORDO" instead...
They got MacKinnon, and he looks like a good player, but they're 1-4-1 (-11) to start the year. There's no guarantee they're competing for anything yet...

That's why sport is so fantastic: you actually have to play the games! The only thing you can say at the end of the year is 1 team won the cup, and 29 didn't.

You play the game to win. Period.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #48
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Off topic, but I hate when my Lions are brought up as the example. Don't get me wrong they deserve every bit of it. I just can't wait for the day that they aren't the shining example of ineptitude.
Sorry Rob, but the Sims incident seems the most egregious example of tanking that I've seen, with the longest residual.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #49
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Toewes, Kane, Doughty and (whoops!) Thomas Hickey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I guess so but I sure would take 1 cup. I don't need a dynasty - one would do me just fine.
agreed... if we turned into the Pens, I would have absolutely no problem with that.

Getting a player of the decade would really do wonders....
Old 10-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any team with Giordano on it has a lesser chance at last place. Look at the Flames record with and without him last year. With a full year of him they might have made the POs. Also Ramo took some time to find his groove last year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #51
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to hold off until Sebc chimes in.. then I'll really know if a goalie is killing us or not!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #52
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

Came to post this, I see I was beaten to it

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #53
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Of coursre, 1 > 0. But you can't say the Pens met expectations considering Crosby and Malkin are the two best players in the world.Pens should have traded Malkin IMO.

All I'm saying is that the Flames need to build a COMPLETE team. The Kings are a perfect example. Elite goaltender, elite dman and elite center. And a VERY GOOD supporting cast.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nemanja2306 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #54
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would prefer to see the Flames this year have a improved season. Tanking for a draft pick is no good for team and fan moral.
Keep being entertaining and working hard. 4-3 is not bad at all.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #55
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
Sorry Rob, but the Sims incident seems the most egregious example of tanking that I've seen, with the longest residual.
LOL I know. Goes with the territory of being a Lions fan. I just can't wait for the day that is water under the bridge because the franchise has moved beyond it. Hopefully its in my life time. A few more futile years (like they aren't already) from the Oilers and then they will be the toast of Loserville.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #56
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hartley is squeezing every ounce out of this team as well.

I am enjoying the hell out of this season so far (Flames doing well/ Oilers sucking beyond belief).
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #57
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I wouldn't want the next Crosby and Malkin. Rather build a good team with key players at every position... not pick up your 1st line wingers at the frickin trade deadline every year because all your cap hit is tied up in 2 guys made of glass.
Seriously? You wouldn't want Crosby? Or Stamkos? Or Tavares?

And it's not as though if you draft a superstar you aren't allowed to draft other good players as well. Having Toews and Kane hasn't stopped the Hawks from putting together an excellent team.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #58
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot see any real Flames' fan griping about the team NOT losing games. Whoever thinks that the teams SHOULD be losing intentionally to get a higher pick do not understand the concept of a team sport. Yes, win every game you can, Flames and get as high up in the standings as you can. I am paying to see this.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #59
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames are playing in a strong conference and are seriously lacking defensive depth and top end forwards. The losses will take care of themselves. I personally prefer cheering for wins though.
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #60
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the whole notion of "generational talent" is different now than before Crosby became the new poster boy. The gap between the generational talents and the next tier of star talent is not nearly as big as it used to be prior to 2004. The game has matured to a point that the talent pool isn't as lopsided as it was back when Gretzky was destroying records..