Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Return Of The Czechs

A hot topic during my recent visit to the Czech Republic was a possible return visit by the number one Calgary Flames fans in Moravia and Bohemia!

Both calgaryboy (Petr) and Patrik wanted to return badly.

So plans were made over (real) Pilsner beer. Those plans have have now been mostly finalised. Calgaryboy comes in November, Patrik in March. Two very good Flames home stands.

Last time they came they bought most of their tickets from the Flames, must pause here to give credit to Cedarmeter, who sent his tickets by courier to the Czech Republic almost as soon as the last trip was planned. Anyway so many generous offers of tickets came up after they had purchased them.

So I am asking for some help. I will again house the Czechs, and provide food and transportation, but I am not a season ticket holder.

I am going to list the games when they will be here, and lean on the generosity of the fine CP community. If you have 2 tickets would you be willing to take a Czech with you to one of the games? If you have one ticket would you be willing to give it up for the guys, or we will buy it.

Calgaryboy in November

Thurs 13 Nov vs Coyotes 2 tickets from DT77
Sat 15 Nov vs Sens 2 tickets from millartime80
Tues 18 Nov vs Ducks. 2 tickets from millartime80
Thurs 20 vs Blackhawks. 2 tickets from millartime80
Sat 22 vs Devils 1 ticket from Furnaceface, MAYBE...

Patrik in March:

Patrik has asked to hold off on solid plans until he finalizes.

calgaryboy's dates are firm, Patrik plans to drive across Canada first; not 100% sure he will be here for the Wed 11th game.

Sat 14 March is a perfect night for Flames central, the only away game during either stay.

So I thank you CP in advance, if there is some help you can give great. If not, please consider coming out for the away game. We had a way better turn out for the away game we watched at Pete's Pub westhills, but that could have been because the FC game was also Valentines day.

Thanks, Aeneas

Last edited by Aeneas; 09-27-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: removed Patrik's game dates
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrik will likely arrive in Montreal Fri 6 March just in time for Flames v Red Wings. Any CP posters in Montreal can suggest a good place for him to watch the game?

Patrik wants to drive from Montreal to Toronto, then to Niagara Falls. Then make his way to Calgary. After his Calgary stay he and I will make a road trip to Kelowna and Vancouver. I did warn him that the trip from Southern Ontario to Calgary, in winter, may not be the most interesting...but he is undeterred. Or it may be an interesting drive in a negative snowy icy way.

Anyone with suggestions, experience with this trip in March, feel free to chime in here.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he's going to drive across the continent, at least try to convince him to dip down into the US to do it. Better/faster roads, and he can stop in places like Chicago and Minnesota on the way (great cities in their own right, but would be cool to catch games there as well). This way it will only be mind-numbingly boring once you hit the Dakotas....doing it through Canada (especially if the weather is still bad) will get old a few hours after he leaves Niagara.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Patrik will likely arrive in Montreal Fri 6 March just in time for Flames v Red Wings. Any CP posters in Montreal can suggest a good place for him to watch the game?

Patrik wants to drive from Montreal to Toronto, then to Niagara Falls. Then make his way to Calgary. After his Calgary stay he and I will make a road trip to Kelowna and Vancouver. I did warn him that the trip from Southern Ontario to Calgary, in winter, may not be the most interesting...but he is undeterred. Or it may be an interesting drive in a negative snowy icy way.

Anyone with suggestions, experience with this trip in March, feel free to chime in here.
i'm soooooooooooo firing up the smoker for when you are in town!!!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i'm soooooooooooo firing up the smoker for when you are in town!!!
Fri 27 March Flames at Wild...?
Old 09-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does he really know how BIG Canada is?
Tell him driving from Toronto to Calgary is farther than driving from Prague to Moscow. It is about equivalent of Prague to Syria. But in snow.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Does he really know how BIG Canada is?
Tell him driving from Toronto to Calgary is farther than driving from Prague to Moscow. It is about equivalent of Prague to Syria. But in snow.
That is exactly why I refused that March trip and will go to Calgary alone. Really looking forward to see many of you again!!! Soooooo pumped up about it!!!! Perfect to see Jaromir Jagr - Czech hockey "god" in a building I love so much! Go Flames! Hope Aeneas will take me to some CP meeting again, beer etc.....ooooh come on :-) November where are you already? :-)
calgaryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Aeneas, you are a very generous person. Straight.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to terminator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you DT77 for 2 free tickets already.
Another offer for 2nd game in the works.
Great responses CP.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont have tickets to offer but I'll definitely be up for visiting when they're here.

And yes, driving across Canada in the winter? Well, we've discussed this already. Unless you're travelling by Tauntaun its an unwise decision.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
If he's going to drive across the continent, at least try to convince him to dip down into the US to do it. Better/faster roads, and he can stop in places like Chicago and Minnesota on the way (great cities in their own right, but would be cool to catch games there as well). This way it will only be mind-numbingly boring once you hit the Dakotas....doing it through Canada (especially if the weather is still bad) will get old a few hours after he leaves Niagara.
While I have not driven past Winnipeg as an adult, I told Patrik once he hits the great lakes it is 8 hours of lake on your left, trees on your right.

I think he has a romantic notion of small town Canada, the Trans Canada highway, ... I am not sure the attraction. It is a big thing for him. A couple years ago the plan was I would meet them in eastern Canada and drive out together. I had to back away from that thought, not for fear of the drive just personal change in my life made it difficult.

Patrik also wants to go to Edmonton during his week and a half in Calgary, so clearly he is insane!!!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have tickets to pass on, but I'm in for beer or something. Hell, I should *make* a special batch for the occasion. Welcome back Petr! And Patrik too!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Patrik also wants to go to Edmonton during his week and a half in Calgary, so clearly he is insane!!!
..to remind him of life before the Berlin Wall came down?

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
Aeneas, you are a very generous person. Straight.
Nope.
I just try to be nice to make up for crippling personal flaws.
Normally I am quite an a--, just ask Locke.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
..to remind him of life before the Berlin Wall came down?
I told him that its a much shorter drive to see archaic Soviet architecture starting from where he is right now! Just go East, you cant miss it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I have not driven past Winnipeg as an adult, I told Patrik once he hits the great lakes it is 8 hours of lake on your left, trees on your right.

I think he has a romantic notion of small town Canada, the Trans Canada highway, ... I am not sure the attraction. It is a big thing for him. A couple years ago the plan was I would meet them in eastern Canada and drive out together. I had to back away from that thought, not for fear of the drive just personal change in my life made it difficult.

Edmonton is the largest, least romantic small town in Canada.

Last edited by Makarov; 09-26-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you Furnaceface for offering a beauty ticket by the visitor entrance for the Devils game. Calgaryboy can talk to Jagr maybe.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #18
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I may have some tickets (2) that I could possibly give to the cause, however I have to wait to find out. I donated 9 games outta my ST to the local golf course for their junior open, however I have lost the list of what games they were. I am waiting for the rest of the kids to come turn in their voucher to see if it was any of the games that week.
spetch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you make it all the way out to Vancouver I would love to meet up, might be able to get you a behind the scenes look at Rogers Arena or even a game depending...
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
millartime80
Draft Pick

PM Sent
millartime80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to millartime80 For This Useful Post: