Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #281
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

The particular frequency band (1900/2100 IIRC) that Wind and Mobilicity are terrible for penetrating indoors. The next spectrum bid for the 700mHz is also AWS based but expected to have phenomenal coverage in regards to inside buildings.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #282
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry for the massive mufti quote but wanted to reply to all of these in one mmf-bang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So I just signed up my son for Wind last night. MMF- from what your are saying is that when we see "H" beside the signal we are getting 4G; which should be faster than 3G. Is that right?.
Yup, it will be 4G. HSPDA+ plus isn't amazing though but it is a decent upgrade from just the 3G. Don't forget that Wind is the first (and only?) carrier in Canada to have HD voice. Since they've added this I've found voice clarity to be one of the best in all honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Yep, that feature has saved me when up in crossiron, or even visiting the states when I forget for a moment where I am.

I spend 49 weeks of the year within the safe confines of the city, so I'm still bff with Wind and my GS3

And yes, that H means you are all 4Ged out.
Just for fun and to add to the confusion Android has an annoying glik that while you're on Hsdpa + it will just display the H. HSPDA (without the +) is still a third generation communication technology.

But don't worry, it's H+, a 4th generation (4G) technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Unfortunately because of all the marketing spin offs there are terms that are interchangeable terms for the different signal types.

I've always been one to think of the HSPA technology almost as a 3.5G with it being a fourth generation technology but compared to LTE, last generation stuff. Similar as 720p which is technically HD but not true HD, 1080p is to resolution that LTE is to wireless data signal speed IMO.

It would be better all together to throw out the 3G/4G and just leave it specifically as HSPA or LTE. At the very least, glad that Canadian carriers list LTE as LTE on the device.
Totally agreed.... but until it's changed just trying to be true to the definition. Too many people think 4G means LTE and that's it. It's a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidestone View Post
I was with Wind for 6 months until 4 months ago. My phone said "No Service" when I was in the YYC cell phone pick up waiting area. So I parked and went inside the airport to the luggage carousel in Meeting Place A. My phone again reported "No Service." CrossIron Mills? I found that about 20% is very weak "Wind Home," 20% is "Wind Away," and the rest is again "No Service."
It is possible that the AWS spectrum is inferior when it comes to indoor reception, hence it is not as good as the others unless it is used for LTE.
Too often I would forget that when I am in a "Wind Away" zone, while I can pay to call or text others, they cannot call or text me back. That is simply unacceptable to me.
After 6 months of constantly checking and worrying about reception wherever I go with my mobile phone, I had enough and went back to Fido.
Wind may have great plans, but the stress of depending on its limited coverage makes it too expensive.
Is Wind even officially covered at Cross Iron?

Why can't they call or txt you back?

If Wind doesn't work for you then, 100% agreed and glad you switched back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
The particular frequency band (1900/2100 IIRC) that Wind and Mobilicity are terrible for penetrating indoors. The next spectrum bid for the 700mHz is also AWS based but expected to have phenomenal coverage in regards to inside buildings.
Honestly, the strong signal of 700mHz LTE is why I'm really excited and pushing for Wind in this auction. I honestly don't care too much about LTE speeds but I am super excited about the signal stretch of this band of LTE.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #283
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is the practical upshot of their winning this auction you're describing for existing Wind users? Better service if you have an LTE capable phone?

I have to say, since I switched the Z10, the value I'm getting out of my plans has improved significantly. I currently have two plans (one for my Nexus 7 and one for my phone) that together total $55 per month and include... everything, basically. To say that colleagues are paying nearly double that for one device would not be an exaggeration. Given that I live downtown and have consistent service it's a no-brainer.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #284
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/09/20/ve...oming-an-mvno/
Quote:
A new report in the Globe and Mail today states that Verizon did indeed table offers for both carriers, specifically noting a proposed $350-million for Mobilicity and a $700-million offer for WIND Mobile. Both carriers have a combined subscriber base of approximately 900,000 – WIND has over 650k and Mobilicity has 250k. In addition, Verizon also considered becoming an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator), which is how PC Mobile and Speak Out Wireless operates by leasing towers from the Big 3, but in the end Verizon pulled the plug on all options to focus on capturing 100% ownership of its U.S. wireless unit for $130 billion.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #285
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just switched to Wind this week and I like much about it I like, but the coverage at SAIT is driving me nuts. Half the time in class there is no service, but what really bothers me is when I come out it stays disconnected and won't until I reboot the phone (Nexus 4). Is there a setting or something to make this easier? This experiment could be short lived if I can't make this work easier. Maybe service is just terrible at SAIT, but the reconnection should be better than what I'm experiencing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #286
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know anything about the service at said, but shouldn't you be able to turn off your wireless radio and turn it back on if it's causing you problems? I know I lose service in my elevator at work and sometimes there's a minute or so delay before it turns back on when I get off, but if I flip my wireless on and off it comes back quickly.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #287
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
hmm, i'd love to know which MNO they were thinking about working with to become an MVNO....
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #288
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
I don't know anything about the service at said, but shouldn't you be able to turn off your wireless radio and turn it back on if it's causing you problems? I know I lose service in my elevator at work and sometimes there's a minute or so delay before it turns back on when I get off, but if I flip my wireless on and off it comes back quickly.
Maybe I'll put it in and out of airplane mode to refresh it.
darockwilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #289
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey All, thinking of making the switch to Wind today, but quick question. I live inner city and in a concrete condo building. How does reception hold up? Just curious as I cant wait to leave Rogers.
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #290
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

A concrete condo building is not going to be a problem.

Besides, they do have a return policy. You can basically try the service out and see if you like it.

When I signed up (more than two years ago) I spent the first couple of days hitting up places that I frequented (friends neighborhoods, work locations, etc) to get a feel for connectivity. Everything was fine back then and the network is FAR more substantial now.

It's a risk free opportunity to get Rogers out of your life.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #291
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those who are interested or have been waiting, Wind has their ridiculously good Christmas special on.

$39 + GST gets:

Unlimited Canada talk/text
Unlimited Global text
Unlimited data (fair use is 5GB)
Voicemail
Call Options (Call ID, Forwarding, Conferencing, Waiting)

Pretty amazing really, and its NOT a trial period.....this is your permanent plan price.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #292
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so switching from Bell the instant my contract is up in 3 days.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #293
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the Wind 50 plan go on sale ever or is that as good as it gets?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #294
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Does the Wind 50 plan go on sale ever or is that as good as it gets?
My understanding is that the Wind 50 package is really new (like a couple of months) so I doubt there will be much discounting in the near future.

From what I can tell, the only major difference between Wind 50 and Wind 39 plan is unlimited US talk.

Both plans get the "World Saver" long distance rates so US talk is $0.05/min. That gives you 220 minutes of talk time each month before the Wind 39 value is beat out by the Wind 50 package.

I suppose the other difference is that the Wind 50 would qualify you for $400 worth of account credits if you bring your own phone. But given that you'd already be getting all the goodies anyhow, I don't see that as part of the value discussion (ymmv).

Old 12-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #295
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
For those who are interested or have been waiting, Wind has their ridiculously good Christmas special on.

$39 + GST gets:

Unlimited Canada talk/text
Unlimited Global text
Unlimited data (fair use is 5GB)
Voicemail
Call Options (Call ID, Forwarding, Conferencing, Waiting)

Pretty amazing really, and its NOT a trial period.....this is your permanent plan price.
Is there any additional perks for bringing my own phone?

EDIT: NM, i just saw this in the TOA; "The WIND 39 plan may not be combined with the Bring/Buy Your Own Phone offer." still a great deal though

Is everyone being charged the $25 sim card fee, or are some of you smooth talkers getting them to waive it?

Last edited by smoothpops; 12-04-2013 at 10:58 PM.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #296
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wind is having a $10/month 1GB data only plan.

Don't think you will find better for a tablet. If you activate your own tablet before Dec 24th, you will get the sim card for free.

http://www.windmobile.ca/plans-and-d...internet-plan1

I think if you add this plan to your Wind phone plan, it is only $5/month.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #297
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
Is everyone being charged the $25 sim card fee, or are some of you smooth talkers getting them to waive it?
Didn't know that there was a fee for the SIM.....hmmm. That's the first thing I've heard/experienced with Wind that annoys me.

My guess is that there's no waving the fee. The Wind model is intended to be 'low price and straight forward', which usually means that things aren't waived.

Very interested to hear if anyone has had some haggling success with them though!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #298
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post

Very interested to hear if anyone has had some haggling success with them though!
I'm going to try on the weekend.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #299
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i've set up 2 phones with Wind and i have never had to pay a sim fee. In fact the guy gave me the sim cards before i even signed up with them. i just brought them back with me when i got my phones.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #300
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

it grinds my gears greatly that everytime i see this thread title i always think to myself "i like breaking it"
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote