Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #301
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFlamesFan View Post
All these car/truck vs train idiots should have their names and photos posted in the newspapers. There is no excuse.

The pedestrians who get hit are also idiots but often end up disfigured or dead so it would be cruel to shame them like the car/truck drivers.
Why? What's public shaming going to do? Are you going to find them, then berate them?
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #302
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Why? What's public shaming going to do? Are you going to find them, then berate them?
People need to be responsible for their actions. Running a red and crashing into a train will cause delays and inconvenience for tens of thousands of people and bring our public transit system to a standstill.

The better question is why not? Why shouldnt these idiots be publicly shamed?
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #303
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People need to be responsible for their actions. Running a red and crashing into a train will cause delays and inconvenience for tens of thousands of people and bring our public transit system to a standstill.

The better question is why not? Why shouldnt these idiots be publicly shamed?
Because publicly shaming them doesn't make them any more responsible for their actions. All it does it let you laugh at them.

"How dare you! You delayed me for FIFTEEN MINUTES! on my way to work" Big ####ing deal, get over yourself.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #304
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Because publicly shaming them doesn't make them any more responsible for their actions. All it does it let you laugh at them.

"How dare you! You delayed me for FIFTEEN MINUTES! on my way to work" Big ####ing deal, get over yourself.
Are you honestly taking the view that being an idiot and crashing into a train is no big deal!?

You don't happen do drive a white pickup truck too?
Old 11-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #305
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you honestly taking the view that being an idiot and crashing into a train is no big deal!?

You don't happen do drive a white pickup truck too?
No, I think it's a big deal. But for transit and for the person who was put into a seriously life threatening situation. Not for your desire for mockery and vengeance because you were inconvenienced for a short period of time.

Again, get over yourself, you're not that important. Have a little perspective.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #306
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
No, I think it's a big deal. But for transit and for the person who was put into a seriously life threatening situation. Not for your desire for mockery and vengeance because you were inconvenienced for a short period of time.

Again, get over yourself, you're not that important. Have a little perspective.
I don't even live in Calgary, son. This ain't about me. It's about crippling Calgary transit for hours due to sheer stupidity.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #307
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

haha "son", so much rustled jimmies. Yea, it's a ####ty thing to happen. Public shaming won't change it. People don't try to beat trains in their car and then stop and say "oh crap, I better not because they'll put my picture in the newspaper and laugh at me"

You're asking for something dumb out of spite and some messed up revenge fantasy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #308
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Firstly, it was WAY more than 15 minutes
Secondly, 15 minutes x 5000 people (that's being generously low) = $30k+ even at minimum wage.
Thirdly, these people PUT THEMSELVES into these dangerous situations, and in fact I really wish Darwinism runs its toll but clearly it didn't.

Last edited by jwslam; 11-21-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: xx
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #309
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Haha, I always laugh at how far people go in getting upset at people that delay trains with accidents.

There's likely dozens of "idiots" in this city that make the same types of mistakes in traffic, daily. People walking out in front of cars, drivers making judgment errors that lead to accidents, etc.

But NOT THESE IDIOTS, they ****ed with my ride home!! No, it's not personal all, lol.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-21-2014 at 03:56 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #310
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Secondly, 15 minutes x 5000 people (that's being generously low) = $30k+ even at minimum wage.
Thirdly, these people PUT THEMSELVES into these dangerous situations, and in fact I really wish Darwinism runs its toll but clearly it didn't.
You wish someone died because a bunch of people were delayed 15 minutes ... or 30 ... or 45.

Seriously, you're a sad sad person.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #311
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Wait!!! People who ride the C-train are getting paid???? Ahhhhh ****, I knew there was some reason thousands of people chose to ride in those hell cans, packed like sardines. Monday morning, I'm officially a C-train rider, even though I work at glenmore and 84th se. I don't want to miss out on this free riding money!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #312
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Haha, I always laugh at how far people go in getting upset at people that delay trains with accidents.
Accident?
Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #313
jayswin

Exp:

Sorry Nik, I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting. I hate running out of thanks, and you're killing me in that regard here.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #314
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I think the public shaming idea is not the best one I've ever heard, I think it's a bit misguided to insinuate his motivation is pure selfishness or self-importance. After all, he (rightly) pointed out that one idiot trying to beat a train can cause delays for thousands of people.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #315
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
While I think the public shaming idea is not the best one I've ever heard, I think it's a bit misguided to insinuate his motivation is pure selfishness or self-importance. After all, he (rightly) pointed out that one idiot trying to beat a train can cause delays for thousands of people.
It can also cause the person to die and destroy a family, and it adds nothing else but something for people to point at and feel superior to. So, again, perspective.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #316
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Accident?
Accident. Whether it's human error, mechanical or weather related, they are always called accidents. Person steps in front of car; Accident. Drivers going too fast hit eachother; Accident. Pedestrian jaywalks, gets hit; Accident.

But oh no, we can't say that when it's the world ending Ctrain related accident. The only accident in those cases is the mom giving birth to the GOD DAMN IDIOT who delayed my ride home, the idiot who should have died cause he's so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Am I right?
Old 11-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #317
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Yes, delays. Delays are that thing where you lose a bit of time out of your day.

It's annoying, but good lord, the vitrol and just pure hate you see for Ctrain delayers (a lot of whom end up dead) is just so over the top, and of course the people that do this are thinking of themselves.

Everyone pumps out the "Look how many people are inconvenienced, THAT'S why it's such a big deal and these idiots need to be publicly shamed." Bull****, as if anyone is actually concerned about the other thousands of people delayed. No chance in hell. They're concerned about themselves and how it affected them. C'mon, lol.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #318
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

These clownshoes always remind me of the public service commercial on the radio in the 80s:

(bunch of kids chanting)
"C'mon Wayne, you can beat the train! C'mon Wayne, you can beat the train! C'mon Wayne, you can beat the..."
(sounds of crashing)
Narrator: "Wayne didn't beat the train..."
Old 11-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #319
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Spoiler!
Thankfully I drove to office that day.... Rather than getting stuck on that or other lrt.

Looking at that pic of the white truck it seems he/she obviously did not pay attention. I expect with 4th closed past that intersection due to water main break the detour could have been part of the issue.

Similar to many lights that have next light fairly close.... I expect the person did not pay attention and then with cars ahead and behind may not havea chance to move ( or was just oblivious).
Overall all on roads should be paying closer attention....
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #320
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

To be fair, I don't think it's simply that someone trying to beat a train might make people late. Such drivers obviously risk harming themselves as well as others on the train. It's extremely reckless behaviour that has potentially very serious social consequences and costs.

Presumably the media reporting the names of those involved in this kind of behavior would have the same effect, but I don't think some kind of governmental conduct to attempt to modify such behaviour is wholly crazy. I can't imagine anyone resisting such a program publicly identifying those convicted of being drunk drivers. What that program would be, though, who knows...

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote