Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #381
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going from the best goaltending tandem in the league to having 2 goalies that are very unproven and a couple centres with scouting reports as 2 way players but neither is regarded as a game breaker.

I am impressed that they unloaded the contract but Gillis destroyed their goaltending situation
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #382
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
they made a move that leaves them with the inexperienced goalie tandem in the league. How else would you name it?
bad management
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #383
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
This is not a rebuilding trade. It is a Canucks team that took Florida's leftovers just to escape this situation. Markstrom will never be anything special, and Matthias has been nothing short of underwhelming. In fact, the only actual prospect in the deal went Florida's way.
Hahaha okay, you can look at this through Flames-tinted glasses all you like but the idea that Markstrom isn't even a real prospect while a 7th round pick is is fairly hilarious.

Basically, Markstrom is a guy who has all of the physical tools and talent to be a starting goalie in the NHL. He may end up being that, or he may end up busting. It's next to impossible to tell when evaluating goalie prospects. That is the reality of the situation.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #384
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the Oilers vs. Flames vs. Canucks current goaltending situation there has been a lot of ragging on Ramo. He didn't have a great start admittedly, but the last few weeks up until being injured he really seemed to hit his stride. His last 7 games he was 5-1-1 with a .925 SV% and 1.57 GAA. I'd probably take that Ramo over Scrivens (3-4, .940, 2.14) and Lack (1-5-1, .923, 1.85) over the same time period.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #385
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Hahaha okay, you can look at this through Flames-tinted glasses all you like but the idea that Markstrom isn't even a real prospect while a 7th round pick is is fairly hilarious.

Basically, Markstrom is a guy who has all of the physical tools and talent to be a starting goalie in the NHL. He may end up being that, or he may end up busting. It's next to impossible to tell when evaluating goalie prospects. That is the reality of the situation.
The reality is the Canucks had two proven goaltenders and now have none. End of story. Nothing more as potential and proven talent are not the same thing. Lots of young goaltenders have the physical tools and talent yet only a few can put it all together in the NHL. Markstrom has shown nothing so far that shows he can be anything other than another young goaltender that couldn't crack the pros.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #386
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not sure why people think Markstrom can't be a #1 guy.
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #387
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I wonder if Luongo is the happiest player ever to be dealt from a """playoff contender""" (and I use that phrase quite liberally) to a perennial bottom feeder?
Exactly. This is hardly a step up for poor Lu. The only NHL teams he's played for are the Isles, Vancouver and freakin' Florida.

Garbage franchises, all of them.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #388
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Hahaha okay, you can look at this through Flames-tinted glasses all you like
I stopped caring what you had to say right there.

I would also note that you tend to support an old proverb - "wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #389
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I wonder if Luongo is the happiest player ever to be dealt from a """playoff contender""" (and I use that phrase quite liberally) to a perennial bottom feeder?
His reaction to the trade.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #390
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Probably for the same reasons the Panthers though Markstrom couldn't be a #1 guy. They don't make this trade if they feel he's going to be as good as a 34 year old Luongo.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-04-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #391
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone interested. Gillis is up next on Team1040.

http://www.teamradio.ca/
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #392
3rd line Grinder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
His reaction to the trade.
have you been saving this for 2 yrs +?
3rd line Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #393
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The reality is the Canucks had two proven goaltenders and now have none. End of story. Nothing more as potential and proven talent are not the same thing. Lots of young goaltenders have the physical tools and talent yet only a few can put it all together in the NHL. Markstrom has shown nothing so far that shows he can be anything other than another young goaltender that couldn't crack the pros.
Exactly.

In 9 months, they have gone from one of the top goalie tandems in the league to Lack and Markstrom (and they already had Lack).

What did they get for it? Horvat and a 3rd line C with a career high of 24 pts.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #394
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Sure he could be a #1 guy just like many guys could be a #1 guy but he has struggled mightily in his short time in the NHL and has been decent but not great at the AHL level.

He doesn't done a whole lot to show that he will/can be a #1 guy despite having been given a sweetheart situation to take the job in Florida.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #395
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I stopped caring what you had to say right there.

I would also note that you tend to support an old proverb - "wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
So essentially you've stopped bothering to address the subject matter of my posts and have instead resorted to really cheap ad hominem by means of an overused quotation? You are, at this point, humiliating yourself.

Again, the idea that a 7th round pick is a legitimate prospect whereas Markstrom is not a legitimate prospect is completely absurd. There's no way to cast that as a reasonable assessment of the trade. You're being a homer.
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #396
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So essentially you've stopped bothering to address the subject matter of my posts and have instead resorted to really cheap ad hominem by means of an overused quotation? You are, at this point, humiliating yourself.

Again, the idea that a 7th round pick is a legitimate prospect whereas Markstrom is not a legitimate prospect is completely absurd. There's no way to cast that as a reasonable assessment of the trade. You're being a homer.
The Flames aren't involved how is he being a homer?
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #397
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The Flames aren't involved how is he being a homer?
It's a Canucks trade. It's pretty obvious where the bias lies.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #398
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fla is in a rebuild - and they have an internal budget.

They gave up Markstrom - and another player - to acquire a 34 year old goalie that they had already traded away once, who has a $5.8m cap hit (minus 15%)

Think about that for a while

Last edited by Enoch Root; 03-04-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #399
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Strombone@strombone11 min Thank you Vancouver for a great 8 years! Really appreciative of all the support especially the last little while. I will miss the LOOO'ing!!

Strombone@strombone11 min
And take good care of my boy Eddie Lack for me. He's a great talent and an even better person!
The Swedish Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Swedish Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #400
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Fla is in a rebuild. They gave up Markstrom - and another player - to acquire a 34 year old goalie that they had already traded away once, who has a $5.8m cap hit (minus 15%) Think about that for a while
This is one angle, but they also have new ownership who want to demonstrate their commitment to spending to the cap and putting together a winning roster. This is really a statement by them that they expect to be competitive. I wouldn't blame their fans (both of them lolol insert other old stale jokes) for being excited about the coming years.

If nothing else they get a goalie for 4.5M against the cap whose play is worth way more than that and who will be good for 3-4 years at least. This is a hell of a trade for them if they do want to fill out the roster around their young guys and go for it.