Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #361
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And why do people keep arguing this trade as some kind of rebuild trade for the Nucks? Matthias is a 26 year old bottom 6er.
It's clearly a rebuild trade. As a result, they will be icing a younger team. Hell, it would have been a rebuild trade even if they only got a 2nd round pick back. They've handed the netminding duties to a younger guy in Lack, acquired a goaltending prospect (whether you think he'll pan out or not), and acquired a solid 3C who's still well on the right side of 30.

In exchange they gave up an asset who only has value to an organization that thinks it's going to win anything in the next 3-4 years.

That is the definition of a rebuilding trade.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #362
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Remains to be seen if the Canucks are in the full rebuild mindset we'll know that by tomorrow but it's not good news for us Flames fans if they've decided to essentially learn from the Flames' mistakes.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #363
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

According to Dale Talon negotiations for this deal started Monday
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #364
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aside from Luongo clearly wanting out of Vancouver for a while, was there anything forcing Gillis' hand? I just find it hard to believe that Luongo (no matter how disheartened) is worth that return.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #365
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Just how much potential do a 26 and a 31 year old have? I know you Oiler fans have this potential mantra tattooed on your foreheads, and mention it like a disclaimer with every word uttered about your team, but get real, there is no potential here, except for the two goaltenders to get substantially worse because they are playing on a substantially worse team.
They have the potential to maintain quality play which they have already shown to have done in the NHL for stretches of time (albeit short).

The Flames goalies have not shown even back up quality play in their careers and acquiring goal tending is a big need for the Flames going forward.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #366
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interesting that this deal was done in about 36 hours. After what seemed like two years of trying to trade him all of a sudden a deal comes together in a day? Gillis looks really bad through all of this. If that's the case, why not just take your lumps and get hi off the roster and run with Schneider two years ago? Why did you need to bring back value? I know, to save your ego.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #367
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I can still remember when I cheered for the Panthers when Roberto was just starting off his career in Florida......glad hes out of there and hope he sees a little success ...enough to put the nuck days behind him
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #368
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Remains to be seen if the Canucks are in the full rebuild mindset we'll know that by tomorrow but it's not good news for us Flames fans if they've decided to essentially learn from the Flames' mistakes.
I think the Sisters will prevent it from being a full rebuild. Can't see them willing to waive their NTC's at this point and tough to see a team that could fit them in salarywise and assetwise.

With them on board the team is likely too good to finish bottom 5 and misses out on getting some very good assets back that would really help with the rebuild.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #369
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Hah, I doubt it. They're going to do with the Sedins exactly what Calgary did with Iginla: hold on to him until his value has diminished to basically nil, owing to his history with the franchise and importance to the city. If the Sedins are still in Vancouver after next year's deadline you'll know I'm right.

In any event I don't know if it's fruitful to compare the rebuild paths... and hey, no matter what else happens, the Flames' rebuilding strategy could hardly work out worse than the Oilers' has.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #370
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
It's clearly a rebuild trade. As a result, they will be icing a younger team. Hell, it would have been a rebuild trade even if they only got a 2nd round pick back. They've handed the netminding duties to a younger guy in Lack, acquired a goaltending prospect (whether you think he'll pan out or not), and acquired a solid 3C who's still well on the right side of 30.

In exchange they gave up an asset who only has value to an organization that thinks it's going to win anything in the next 3-4 years.

Mattias will be well over the wrong side of 30 by the time the Canucks are ready to win anything.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #371
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Wonder were Halak is gonna go now

As a Canucks fan I am pissed cause Luongo could give you forty wins,But called it quits during the playoffs and spooked easily.His wife and family never liked Vancouver and preferred Florida so yeah.
You mean the lack of success of the team that produced 11 goals in 7 games in Luongo's last playoff appearances can be chalked up to Luongo calling it quits?

If I was his wife and family, I'd think Vancouver was a pretty ####ty place too given how he was treated.

Last edited by morgin; 03-04-2014 at 04:44 PM.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morgin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #372
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
They have the potential to maintain quality play which they have already shown to have done in the NHL for stretches of time (albeit short).

The Flames goalies have not shown even back up quality play in their careers and acquiring goal tending is a big need for the Flames going forward.
Flames are in year one of a rebuild...congrats on having slightly better goal tending (maybe) in year 5 or 6 or whatever it is
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #373
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Our goalies also being bad doesn't make your goalies better.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #374
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Maintaining their play is to maintain a level of a back-up and that isn't going to help the Oilers going forward.

Sure the Flames need goaltending going forward but the Oilers need it just as bad in terms of getting a guy that can help them contend.

If all you want is to have a slightly better goaltending tandem than the Flames then congrats but I think most fans/teams would have higher aspirations than that.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #375
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Luongo is the happiest player ever to be dealt from a """playoff contender""" (and I use that phrase quite liberally) to a perennial bottom feeder?
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #376
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post

This is not a rebuilding trade. It is a Canucks team that took Florida's leftovers just to escape this situation. Markstrom will never be anything special, and Matthias has been nothing short of underwhelming. In fact, the only actual prospect in the deal went Florida's way.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #377
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe he can steal them some games and pull ahead of us in Project: Tankoff.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #378
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I think the Sisters will prevent it from being a full rebuild. Can't see them willing to waive their NTC's at this point and tough to see a team that could fit them in salarywise and assetwise.

With them on board the team is likely too good to finish bottom 5 and misses out on getting some very good assets back that would really help with the rebuild.
Yeah they might be of the belief that they can pull off the often discussed but rarely executed "re-tool."

But the Sedins are just not good enough to lift that team out of the basement. They're second liners right now and only getting older, slower and more brittle. The Canucks signed them under very different impressions of what they had in their roster, that they were still in the mix of playoff teams.

The Sedins also provide a ready made line for any young offensive winger they draft to develop on, that's a nice consolation prize at least.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #379
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Maybe he can steal them some games and pull ahead of us in Project: Tankoff.
fingers crossed
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #380
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

how is trading your starting goalie for a bag of pucks a rebuilding trade? seriously Vancouver making a bad trade shouldn't scare anyone. The Sedins and their 14M contract isn't going anywhere
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote