Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #401
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Fla is in a rebuild. They gave up Markstrom - and another player - to acquire a 34 year old goalie that they had already traded away once, who has a $5.8m cap hit (minus 15%)

Think about that for a while
Isnt fla passed the rebuilding stage they have quite a few good young players and are probably looking to take the next step as opposed to just tread water
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #402
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strombone ‏@strombone1
Thank you Vancouver for a great 8 years! Really appreciative of all the support especially the last little while. I will miss the LOOO'ing!!

Strombone ‏@strombone1
And take good care of my boy Eddie Lack for me. He's a great talent and an even better person!
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #403
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how long will it take the fanbase to turn on Eddie Lack? Or maybe a better question is how long will it take Torts and Canucks management to turn on him and bring in someone else?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #404
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strombone ‏@strombone1
And on another note me and Tiny Tim are gonna rip it up the rest of the year!!!!!!! #dreamteam
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #405
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I'm sure this has already been posted, but I don't feel like going through the whole thread.

I'm sure Markstrom will fit right in with the Canucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrH0ukdOG-c
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #406
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
I'm sure this has already been posted, but I don't feel like going through the whole thread.

I'm sure Markstrom will fit right in with the Canucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrH0ukdOG-c
its that guy? I forgot who that was, and now he is on the vancouver diving team...bahahaha
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #407
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Isnt fla passed the rebuilding stage they have quite a few good young players and are probably looking to take the next step as opposed to just tread water
Aside from making the playoffs a couple of times, they've been in a rebuild since about 1996.

Florida is a joke.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #408
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
It's a Canucks trade. It's pretty obvious where the bias lies.
You're only accusing me of bias because I disagree with your poorly thought out ramblings. And you only pulled out the "homer glasses" argument because you can't actually refute the point. You pulled an "it's a rebuilding trade because I say so" argument and are now behaving like a petulant child because I dared to disagree with you.

My opinion of Markstrom and Matthias wasn't formed by the colour of the jersey they are about to wear. It was formed actually watching them play. And the truth is, neither is anything special. They are easily replaceable parts, and in fact, I fully expect both will have long since been replaced by the time Vancouver bottoms out and starts climbing back up. These are not players that make Vancouver better today, and they won't make Vancouver better tomorrow. But you go ahead and scream loudly about how you're the only unbiased person around if it makes you feel smarter.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #409
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh wow... that video.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #410
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for sharing Steve.
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #411
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniac View Post
Thanks for sharing Steve.
You're welcome, bud.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #412
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Strombone ‏@strombone1
Thank you Vancouver for a great 8 years! Really appreciative of all the support especially the last little while. I will miss the LOOO'ing!!

Strombone ‏@strombone1
And take good care of my boy Eddie Lack for me. He's a great talent and an even better person!
That takes a lot of class on his part, I'm sure he's been constantly down on himself primarily because of the lack of support over those 8 years.
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #413
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flame View Post
Strombone@strombone11 min Thank you Vancouver for a great 8 years! Really appreciative of all the support especially the last little while. I will miss the LOOO'ing!!

Strombone@strombone11 min

It's unbelievable the amount of class Luongo has shown during that absolute circus in the last few years in Vancouver. The fan base constantly threw him under the bus. The Canucks management constantly burned him and treated him with very little regard... and yet he leaves taking the high road.

Just another move that contrasts what a garbage organization that is from top to bottom, management to fan base.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #414
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it often takes goalies longer to develop then other players, but if Markstrom was going to turn out to be anything special he should have made a team like the Panthers a long time ago. It's not like he was stuck behind elite goalies or anything. Old man Thomas won the starting gig after signing a tryout agreement during training camp, and Clemmenson has been their primary backup (and hasn't played all that well). If Markstrom can't get in more games on that roster is he ever going to turn into an actual player?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #415
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
It's a Canucks trade. It's pretty obvious where the bias lies.
You are a Canucks fan right? I mean you don't hide the fact that is your team, am I correct? Seriously I don't know, I just see your posts from time to time.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #416
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Did Markstrom loosen his helmet just do that all those spectacular dives? The head band on my little girls head doesn't come off as easily. BRUTAL!
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #417
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You're only accusing me of bias because I disagree with your poorly thought out ramblings. And you only pulled out the "homer glasses" argument because you can't actually refute the point. You pulled an "it's a rebuilding trade because I say so" argument and are now behaving like a petulant child because I dared to disagree with you.
This is hilarious. I explained why it's a rebuilding trade quite clearly: the team they are icing is younger as a result and they got a prospect back for a guy who is past his prime (in spite of still being the best player in the deal). If they're not rebuilding, this is a terrible deal because it makes them worse today. If they are, it's better, because the guy they traded has no value to a rebuilding team and they might be better in the future (however unlikely that is).

Quote:
These are not players that make Vancouver better today, and they won't make Vancouver better tomorrow. But you go ahead and scream loudly about how you're the only unbiased person around if it makes you feel smarter.
Leaving Matthias aside, Markstrom is a goalie prospect who may or may not pan out. But your comment was that the only prospect in the deal was going to FLA in the form of Steven Anthony. This is a 7th round pick in 2009. He has no value to anyone. Your comment was completely ridiculous. You deserved to be called out.

As for who's acting like a petulant child because the other person disagreed with them, my posts were entirely about hockey and why your comment was clearly wrong. You decided that instead of discussing the content of those posts you'd snidely call me a "fool" using someone else's words. That's childish.

I mean I don't think Vancouver won this trade at all. Florida got the best player, they gave up a prospect they'd lost faith in. But what you said was just so detached from reality, it's funny.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 03-04-2014 at 05:35 PM.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #418
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Awesome news. Can't wait until Eddy Lack collapses under the pressure.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #419
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
You are a Canucks fan right? I mean you don't hide the fact that is your team, am I correct? Seriously I don't know, I just see your posts from time to time.
Don't be that poster who ignores a discussion and tries to score points by being like "oh man, that poster likes another team, all of their arguments are invalid!". I know this is coached as an "I don't know" but the dude's comment was fair, which is that you can't say out of one side of your mouth that a 7th round pick who has proven nothing is a legitimate prospect while saying out the other that a goalie who still theoretically has potential is not a prospect.

Even if he was a canucks fan, which by his comments here I doubt, it wouldn't matter. Have a hockey discussion on the merits of people's arguments, not a "lalala the team you like sucks so everything you say is stupid lalala"

Last edited by morgin; 03-04-2014 at 05:40 PM.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #420
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
If they're not rebuilding, this is a terrible deal because it makes them worse today.
And you finally understand.

Yes, this is a terrible deal. This is a terrible deal that Gillis forced himself into. The end result is that he parlayed his franchise goaltender into spare parts. You can call it a "rebuilding deal" all you like - and if you are a Canucks fan, I suspect you might have to just to choke this one down. But even Gillis was talking about "retooling" in his interviews today. Vancouver is not looking at rebuilding. This was all disaster management by a disaster in management.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote