Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #4501
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think so, I have the manual at home. I'll take a look.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #4502
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Was that the one before Chuck Yeager's Air Combat? I never did play it, loved Air Combat though. WW2, Korea, and Vietnam era missions, and then the ability to create dogfights mixing up aircraft from the different eras was so much fun. FW-190 versus F-4 Phantoms? Go for it!

"It's a great day for flying."
Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer 2.0

So advanced, it was like being in the cockpit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #4503
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Can anyone tell me about the Plus seats on WestJet Encore? For a flight under an hour is there any benefit to paying for an upgrade at check-in other than you board first, and you're off first?

Do they offer food/drinks at all if the flight is under an hour, or would it just be water service?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 02-14-2017, 01:47 AM   #4504
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

They fire off a quick drink service on the Q4 even on YYC-YEG legs which are ~30 min. The advantage of being off first on the Q4 is pretty much negligible, doesn't take that long to deplane anyway.

Personally, I'd only buy a plus fare for Encore if it was part of an itinerary that included mainline.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:01 AM   #4505
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's the deal with having to put your phone into airplane mode? I'm pretty sure my $500 phone is not going to interfere with the communications systems on a multi hundred million dollar aircraft.

I only ask because I may have just been threatened with arrest after forgetting to switch my phone over...
Old 02-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #4506
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

In theory any transmitter could interfere with aircraft equipment but in reality the chance of that is minute. My guess is that it is easier to tell people to turn them off than to do all the studies to prove they aren't a problem.

We have this debate at work from time to time, guys who get all sensitive when you are using your phone around ejection seats or explosives on canopies, but nothing has ever been proven and there are no documented instances.

Kinda like the gas station, there's no real evidence phones cause spontaneous combustion but the effort required to disprove it and finding someone to accept the risk makes it easier to put no cel signs up on the pumps.

I have never seen a cel signal interfere with anything around aircraft, but my only real proof is that I've ordered pizza from 25,000 ft in a Tutor.
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #4507
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Mount Royal University aircraft went down yesterday evening in the Waiporous area. Two deceased, initial reports say the accident was witnessed by another aircraft. Also some talk that it was one of their twin engine aircraft (Tecnam).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3981372

This may be the flight in question: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C.../CYBW/tracklog

Last edited by Bigtime; 02-14-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #4508
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
So what's the deal with having to put your phone into airplane mode? I'm pretty sure my $500 phone is not going to interfere with the communications systems on a multi hundred million dollar aircraft.

I only ask because I may have just been threatened with arrest after forgetting to switch my phone over...
Did you tell them? That is about the only reason they would know..

I have forgotten to switch my phones over plenty, and when I go to turn it off airplane mode I realized I forgot.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #4509
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
In theory any transmitter could interfere with aircraft equipment but in reality the chance of that is minute. My guess is that it is easier to tell people to turn them off than to do all the studies to prove they aren't a problem.

We have this debate at work from time to time, guys who get all sensitive when you are using your phone around ejection seats or explosives on canopies, but nothing has ever been proven and there are no documented instances.

Kinda like the gas station, there's no real evidence phones cause spontaneous combustion but the effort required to disprove it and finding someone to accept the risk makes it easier to put no cel signs up on the pumps.

I have never seen a cel signal interfere with anything around aircraft, but my only real proof is that I've ordered pizza from 25,000 ft in a Tutor.
At my work we have rules against cell phones, lighters, static inducing clothing, etc. but at least in those cases there is a small risk of enough energy being released to cause an explosion. I'm pretty sure cell phones and airplane comms work on completely different frequencies however and there should be zero risk of interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Did you tell them? That is about the only reason they would know..

I have forgotten to switch my phones over plenty, and when I go to turn it off airplane mode I realized I forgot.
I've also forgotten many times. I usually notice when my phone starts buzzing with messages during the descent.

I was typing a message to my wife while an eagle eyed flight attendant was doing the final check. She saw my screen didn't have the airplane icon up and told me I should have switched it to flight mode long ago. I feigned ignorance and was then very bluntly told if I didn't switch it over immediately I would be arrested upon landing.

My final thought: Fair enough I don't need to be on my phone while the plane is in the air, but if you are going to allow me to use it seconds after we land I should be able to use it up to seconds before we take off.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #4510
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which is ridiculous because American airlines allow you to keep your phone on now.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #4511
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has nothing to do with the airlines, they are required by law to enforce the polices. Until Transport Canada(I think) gets with the times, those are the rules.

I don't mind them, because people are totally inconsiderate when they get on a phone. If I had to listen to people blab on a flight, it would be really annoying. It always amazes me how desperately people need to be in communication all the time.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #4512
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Weitz, that isn't correct...you can use your phone, but it must be in airplane mode, same as Canadian airlines.

Yes, there is a risk, yes the risk is small, yes it is the (air) law.

If you take the bus you can leave your cell on the whole time.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 02-14-2017 at 11:02 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #4513
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I meant American airlines, not the American Airlines, as I believe the FAA or whatever the American regulator changed their rules.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #4514
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have never posted in this thread before but I was wondering if anybody has any quality insight or videos/pictures of the PM's aircraft fleet?

I know that for most domestic trips he uses the smaller aircraft's and for larger international trip's he uses the large Airbus.

Has anybody ever been able to track it when it has come to Calgary over the years?

I have always been curious in terms of how the fleet compares to something like Air Force One. I am well aware they are totally different aircraft with different features but for whatever reason you can find a lot more information on other leaders aircraft than you can for the Canadian fleet. I have seen the odd Youtube video clip of it landing but that is pretty much it, no tours or anything inside.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #4515
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
A Mount Royal University aircraft went down yesterday evening in the Waiporous area. Two deceased, initial reports say the accident was witnessed by another aircraft. Also some talk that it was one of their twin engine aircraft (Tecnam).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3981372

This may be the flight in question: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C.../CYBW/tracklog

One of those killed in the crash was Jeff Bird, who was a long ago poster here. He actually introduced me to CP.

His brother was a poster too, and a good friend to several of us. I'm heartbroken.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #4516
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
One of those killed in the crash was Jeff Bird, who was a long ago poster here. He actually introduced me to CP.

His brother was a poster too, and a good friend to several of us. I'm heartbroken.
Terribly tragic. I fly out of YBW regularly and the private/corporate aviation community there is pretty tight, certainly hits home. I am hopeful the TSB is able to figure out what happened be it mechanical or maneuvering flight. The area (CYA 226) in which the accident occurred is the local practice area with fairly inhospitable terrain should you have an emergency and need to get the aircraft on the ground in one piece quickly. I used to practice aerobatics in the south western corner as you at least had some flat land in the Morley area should you need to make an emergency landing. I long decided the area SE of Black Diamond/Turner Valley was more suitable.

Godspeed to both pilots and condolences to family/friends.

Last edited by FLAME ENVY; 02-14-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #4517
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I have never posted in this thread before but I was wondering if anybody has any quality insight or videos/pictures of the PM's aircraft fleet?

I know that for most domestic trips he uses the smaller aircraft's and for larger international trip's he uses the large Airbus.

Has anybody ever been able to track it when it has come to Calgary over the years?

I have always been curious in terms of how the fleet compares to something like Air Force One. I am well aware they are totally different aircraft with different features but for whatever reason you can find a lot more information on other leaders aircraft than you can for the Canadian fleet. I have seen the odd Youtube video clip of it landing but that is pretty much it, no tours or anything inside.

Thanks!
Our VIP fleet which transports the PM is really quite small, particularly compared to the U.S. fleet. It is comprised of the Airbus A310 and the Canadair Challenger (601) models. All are operated by RCAF pilots. My understanding is the interiors are pretty standard fair and certainly not opulent luxury. You would not be able to track these flights as they are military.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #4518
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post

I went to school for avionics, and the general consensus among the profs was that they just want you to pay attention during critical phases.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #4519
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

Sorry for your loss, I guess he was an instructor here for a spell, didn't know him personally but I'm sure some of the guys will remember him. Small world.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #4520
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I went to school for avionics, and the general consensus among the profs was that they just want you to pay attention during critical phases.
Boeing would disagree. There are certain AD's and limitations that are for specific technical issues relating to interference from onboard electronic devices, and Boeing isn't putting those out because they 'just want you to pay attention during critical phases'.
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters