Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Staking near marked utilities?

Hello CP,
Hoping someone with experience can advise. I’m helping with a planter box build (garden type). Utility lines have been marked, and we hand dig down To our desired depth (about a foot) along the marking, which coincided with where the edge of the box is to be.
Needing to put a few stakes in the ground to keep everything level and square (it’s prettt securely framed to the house now). According to ATCO, excavation to expose the gas line is required, but that seems like it would defeat the purpose of the stake?
Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to do this? Of note, the stakes wouldn’t be directly over the centre of the markings, rather near the edge of the marked “M”.

Thank you!
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Maybe dig a hole carefully by hand, fill it with concrete and put the stake in the concrete before it sets?

Every locate I have ever received says the markings are a general guide. With my locate on my new house I noticed the markings were off by a little bit. (I measured while the lines were all still exposed.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I thought that said Stalking.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

How close to the line?

Always good to find it first to be sure. If this was just a one call locate then they just mark where the line is supposed to be. Underground utilities can shift and move, or simply not be put ion the correct spot. Normally I'd do a secondary sweep with an actual locater, or in this case, simply hand expose anyway.

Your post was a little hard to follow though. Did you dig down to the depth that the stakes are going to? Or just the planter? If the stakes aren't going any further than what you've dug then I'd dig a bit more to be sure then place them.

Keep in mind, if an atco rep suggested hand exposing, and you don't, and something goes wrong, you're going to have a bit more than a bad day. The world of underground utilities is a world of liability. In this case simply doing the one call isn't enough to protect you

Last edited by btimbit; 04-27-2018 at 02:55 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
V
Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Stakes usually go down a foot or less. If you are hand digging and placing, you are fine.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I was under the impression the OP wants to send a stake down further to perform the same function as a deck pile would.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I was under the impression the OP wants to send a stake down further to perform the same function as a deck pile would.
If that's the case, and it's within 2m of where that line should be, I'd definitely be exposing it first
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hand dig to the bottom of the stake. Place the stake, backfill and compact around the stake?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Old 04-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #10
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Hand dig to the bottom of the stake. Place the stake, backfill and compact around the stake?
I'd dig to the bottom of the stake to explore, but compact the dirt as it's put back in and then drive the stake. It'll be easier to compact without the stake in the way, but also you'll get a tighter grab of the stake and extra compaction from the displacement by the stake. Also easier to get the stake to stay where you want it.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #11
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I'd dig to the bottom of the stake to explore, but compact the dirt as it's put back in and then drive the stake. It'll be easier to compact without the stake in the way, but also you'll get a tighter grab of the stake and extra compaction from the displacement by the stake. Also easier to get the stake to stay where you want it.
Agreed. Mark the stake for depth, and Bobs your uncle.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #12
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks guys. I ended up tieing into the wall some more rather than staking. I’m as confident as I could be that the structure is secured, but if you see a reason why not I would welcome the input.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 PM   #13
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks guys. I ended up tieing into the wall some more rather than staking. I’m as confident as I could be that the structure is secured, but if you see a reason why not I would welcome the input.