Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #241
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Found on FB
The cringe is strong.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #242
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I feel like this is the face Pence makes while he's taking a #### and now I can't get that thought out of my head.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #243
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #244
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man how the nostalgia glasses have come on for Dubya. We really didn't know how much worse it would get.

What a charming goofball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #245
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Found on FB
I listened as they called my President a Muslim.
I listened as they called him and his family a pack of monkeys.
I listened as they said he wasn't born here.
I watched as they blocked every single path to progress that they could.
I saw the pictures of him as Hitler.
I watched them shut down the government and hurt the entire nation twice.
I watched them turn their backs on every opportunity to open worthwhile dialog.
I watched them say that they would not even listen to any choice for Supreme Court no matter who the nominee was.
I listened as they openly said that they will oppose him at every turn.
I watched as they did just that.
I listened.
I watched.
I paid attention.
Now, I'm being called on to be tolerant.
To move forward.
To denounce protesters.
To "Get over it."
To accept this...
I will not.
I will do my part to make sure this great American mistake becomes the embarrassing footnote of our history that it deserves to be.
I will do this as quickly as possible every chance I get.
I will do my part to limit the damage that this man can do to my country.
I will watch his every move and point out every single mistake and misdeed in a loud and proud voice.
I will let you know in a loud voice every time this man backs away from a promise he made to them.
Them. The people who voted for him.
The ones who sold their souls and prayed for him to win.
I will do this so that they never forget.
And they will hear me.
They will see it in my eyes when I look at them.
They will hear it in my voice when I talk to them.
They will know that I know who they are.
They will know that I know what they are.
Do not call for my tolerance. I've tolerated all I can.
Now it's their turn to tolerate ridicule.
Be aware, make no mistake about it, every single thing that goes wrong in our country from this day
forward is now Trump's fault just as much as they thought it was Obama's.
I find it unreasonable for them to expect from me what they were entirely unwilling to give."

Author unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny's Moustache View Post
Thought so. But furthered my point for those who can't see the forest for the trees.
Forest for the trees? Come on man, one of the big reasons Trump won in the first place was because of attitudes just like this.

I read that Facebook post and I totally understand. I get it.

But its not productive. Its just going to piss away more time and dig an ever deeper hole.

I'd agree that perhaps this is the moment to dig your heels in and be more prepared to negotiate and compromise when the next President comes into office, but just saying 'they cant see the forest for the trees' is a statement that goes both ways.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #246
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always going to go both ways.

I mean, if Trump supporters like it when people "tell it like it is", why do they get all upset and run to a safe space when I call them out for being gullible, out of touch, fact rejecting, plutocratophiles?

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #247
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's always going to go both ways.

I mean, if Trump supporters like it when people "tell it like it is", why do they get all upset and run to a safe space when I call them out for being gullible, out of touch, fact rejecting, plutocratophiles?
You'd know that better than anyone, I imagine you get called that a lot. Or do you just enjoy being on the other side of it on occasion just for a change of pace?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #248
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today in bizarro-America:

Quote:
Old 01-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #249
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://outabouter.com/2017/01/18/co...re-u-s-border/

Concerned, But Not Wanting To Offend, Canada Quietly Plants Privacy Hedge Along Entire U.S. Border.

Quote:
“And we’re happy to pay for it,” say a united front of Canadian premiers, national leaders, mayors, citizens, and casual acquaintances, of the newly planted hedge that has sprung up seemingly overnight, running unbroken for 6,416 kilometers, along the world’s longest undefended border.
“Sometimes the best way for neighbours to get along, is a little bit of privacy. Even in the winter. Even when you have to break frozen ground to get it. Even when your neighbour has spy satellites and a penchant for caching electronic communications. Even then, a hedge can’t hurt.”
A continuous growth of Cherry Laurel, the overnight hedge stands an average of two meters high, and is expected to grow to be at least double that by the end of Donald Trump’s first term, when a review of the green screen is planned. At that time the hedge will either be topped with barbed wire, or made into a tourist attraction by being trimmed to form a living storyboard of the Disney franchise.
“What we do with the hedge will depend entirely on what’s happening to the south,” says one hedge-funder,#Jim Freedman, a pretty nice guy who just wants to be left alone, while giving this reporter a tour of the newly defined perimeter. “If our neighbours opt to renew the presidency of a man who encourages nuclear proliferation, doubts climate change, mocks civil rights leaders – and anyone else who disagrees with him – all via the most reductive social media platform available well,” here Jim pauses and looks skyward, above the flourishing living fence he helped to put in place, “I’m told this thing can reach forty feet within a decade or two.”

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
Old 01-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #250
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The bottom line to me is that no matter who won this election we would have woken up today with a deeply divided and angry nation.

there have been a lot of underlying tensions for a long time in the States building like a large fart filled balloon needing one thing to blow it up and stink up the room.

Welcome to Jan 20, 2017, take a deep breath and own the flavor.
Anger isn't the bottom line. A generation of Republican anti-intellectualism is. And Trump is the result.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #251
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

DC police directly pepper spray elderly woman, disabled man.

https://twitter.com/willdizard/statu...36469755609088
Old 01-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #252
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is why trump won:

Old 01-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #253
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
This is why trump won:

Just another afternoon in Vancouver (I know it's not Vancouver).

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #254
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
https://www.obama.org/

Whether you agree or disagree with Obama's politics, I believe there's one thing which can't be argued - He's a good good man who represented the US and the "west" with a tremendous amount of grace and dignity.

Trump, I'm confident in saying, will not. America....WTF did you do ?? Like many have said, it's going to be a very interesting 4 years

Trump's not my guy but why does Barry get this pass so easily--because he has a nice smile and reassuring tone? Are people really that fickle?

Like all recent presidents he oversaw a lot of war mongering and sketchy stuff.

He was a weasley scoundrel who was royally sh://y to Canada.

He whipped up a racist fervour and threw law enforcement under the bus and somehow put race relations further back than when he started.

He fraternize with misogynistic gangster rappers.

He took massive bribes from environazi activists.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clarkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #255
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
DC police directly pepper spray elderly woman, disabled man.

https://twitter.com/willdizard/statu...36469755609088
WTF?!

Like seriously, what is wrong with law enforcement in these types of situations?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #256
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
WTF?!

Like seriously, what is wrong with law enforcement in these types of situations?
The 15 or so officers couldn't be too sure if the elderly woman had a weapon so it's better to be safe than sorry. Same goes for the good Samaritans who came in to try and assist the elderly lady by moving her away slowly. Law enforcement can never be too sure! They perform a difficult job!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #257
Lanny's Moustache
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Forest for the trees? Come on man, one of the big reasons Trump won in the first place was because of attitudes just like this.
Drumpf won for a lot of reasons. None of them are good ones.

He got votes from Republican's who HATE him because they know it won't take long before he hangs himself and will be ousted. That is why Republicans, who pulled their support and funding for him, still voted for him. That's why they all came out kissing his ass after the election so they could get the jobs they want before he steps off the stool.

He won by duping steel workers into thinking he, a man who purposely bought foreign steel, who purposely ripped off American companies, who purposely defrauded American people, who willfully hires foreign workers, would somehow bring back their jobs. They bought his lies hook, line and sinker.

He won because he "tells it like it is" and spouts off to the lowest common denominator. He riled up the masses, in certain areas, to believe he was an every man just like them. Never mind his 5th Ave penthouse with a golden toilet.

He's a con man and just pulled the biggest con in the history of the world. America has enough dumb people who fall for Nigerian Prince scams and limited PayPal account scams every day that they easily fell for his nonsense.

And he won because US politics is so bi-partisan that the Republican's could have run an actual elephant and the Democrats an actual Donkey and they'd each still get 40% of the vote simply due to the party they represent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny's Moustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #258
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Man how the nostalgia glasses have come on for Dubya. We really didn't know how much worse it would get.

What a charming goofball.
Every time I see pictures of Dubya these days, all I can figure is he has spent every day since his presidency on drugs. He just has that "I'm so high right now, and everything is hilarious" look on his face.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #259
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dan Rather's take on the day.

Quote:
And so it begins.

Of the nearly 20 inaugurations I can remember, there has never been one that felt like today. Not even close. Never mind the question of the small size of the crowds, or the boycott by dozens of lawmakers, or even the protest marches slated for tomorrow across the country. Those are plays upon the stage. What is truly unprecedented in my mind is the sheer magnitude of quickening heartbeats in millions of Americans, a majority of our country if the polls are to be believed, that face today buffeted within and without by the simmering ache of dread.

I have never seen my country on an inauguration day so divided, so anxious, so fearful, so uncertain of its course.

I have never seen a transition so divisive with cabinet picks so encumbered by serious questions of qualifications and ethics.

I have never seen the specter of a foreign foe cast such a dark shadow over the workings of our democracy.

I have never seen an incoming president so preoccupied with responding to the understandable vagaries of dissent and seemingly unwilling to contend with the full weight and responsibilities of the most powerful job in the world.

I have never seen such a tangled web of conflicting interests.

Despite the pageantry of unity on display at the Capitol today, there is a piercing sense that we are entering a chapter in our nation's evolving story unlike one ever yet written. To be sure, there are millions of Donald Trump supporters who are euphoric with their candidate's rise. Other Trump voters have expressed reservations, having preferred his bluster to his rival's perceived shortcomings in the last election, but admitting more and more that they are not sure what kind of man they bestowed the keys to the presidency. The rest of America - the majority of voters - would not be - and indeed is not - hesitant in sharing its conclusions on the character and fitness of Donald Trump for the office he now holds.

The hope one hears from even some of Donald Trump's critics is that this moment might change him. Perhaps, as he stood there on a grey, drab, January day, reciting the solemn oath of office demanded by our Constitution, as he looked out across what Charles Dickens once called the "city of magnificent intentions", he would somehow grasp the importance of what he was undertaking. Perhaps he would understand that he must be the president of all the United States, in action as well as in word. Perhaps, but there has already been so much past that is prologue.

There is usually much fanfare around inaugural addresses. They are also usually forgotten - with some notable exceptions. I think today will be remembered, not so much for the rhetoric or the turns of phrase but for the man who delivered them and the era they usher us forth.

Mr. Trump's delivery was staccato and there was very little eye contact as he seemed to be reading carefully from a teleprompter. His words and tone were angry and defiant. He is still in campaign mode and nary a whiff of a unifying spirit. There was little or nothing of uplift - the rhetoric of Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, or Reagan. We heard a cavalcade of slogans and one liners, of huge promises to "bring back" an America - whatever that really means to many who look at our history and see progress in our current society.

The speech started with a message of an establishment in Washington earning riches on the back of struggling families across the country. It was an odd note, considering the background of many of his cabinet picks. President Trump painted a very dark picture of the current state of our nation, beset by gangs and drugs and violence, regardless of what the data shows. His words swelled with his economic populism and the nationalism of "America first." The applause was sparse, and I imagine many more being turned off, even sickened, rather than inspired by what our new President had to say. President Obama looked on with an opaque poker face. One could only imagine what he was thinking.

It bears remembering that one never can predict the arc of a presidency. It is an office that is far too often shaped by circumstance well beyond its occupant's control. Those challenges, wherever and however they may rise, now will fall on the desk of President Trump. We can only see what will happen. We hope, for the security and sanctity of our Republic, that Mr. Trump will respond to the challenges with circumspection and wisdom. Today's rhetoric was not reassuring.

Our democracy demands debate and dissent - fierce, sustained, and unflinching when necessary. I sense that tide is rising amongst an opposition eager to toss aside passivity for action. We are already seeing a more emboldened Democratic party than I have witnessed in ages. It is being fueled by a fervent energy bubbling from the grassroots up, rather than the top down.

These are the swirling currents about our ship of state. We now have a new and untested captain. His power is immense, but it is not bestowed from a divinity on high. It is derived, as the saying goes, from the consent of the governed. That means President Trump now works for us - all of us. And if he forgets that, it will be our duty to remind him.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #260
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
This is why trump won:

I find it hard to trust anything from the Rebel. I'm doubtful that the majority of the demonstration was violent. The sensationalist reporter was clearly trying to paint them all with the same brush.
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers