Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Douglas Garland Trial - Guilty- 1st degree- 3 counts / 75 years no parole.

One of Calgary's highest profile trials is unfolding right now. Some of the details being released are quite gruesome.

All Tweets are from Nancy Hixt

Quote:
Justice Gates goes through rules of being juror--told if they've heard anything about the case previously to "banish it from their minds"
Quote:
Justice Gates: "You are the judges of facts. You are not lawyers or investigators” he warned jurors not to google or research #garland case
Quote:
When Jennifer O'Brien went to pick her son up June 30/14 "The house was covered in blood" #garland
Quote:
#Garland's sister recognized the truck. She got her husband (Alvin's son) to call police with tip. That's when #garland began to search farm
Quote:
Nathan, Alvin and Kathy weren't found on #Garland farm. But what was found was a smouldering burn barrel. DNA of all three was found.
Graphic details

NSFW!

Quote:
Crown says when #Garland found Nathan at the home he incorporated him into his meticulous plan to kill Alvin and Kathy Liknes #yyc
Quote:
Crown: July 1/2 2014 aerial photos taken above #Garland farm show bodies of Nathan, Alvin and Kathy face down on the grass
Quote:
Crown: we expect to call approx 50 witnesses, warns evidence will not be easy to hear. #Garland meticulously researched and planned killings
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as I recall, they have never found the bodies.

I hope for the sake of the families that if garland was the one that did it (something that only he knows right now), that the prosecuters are able to prove it, and that he does not slither away due to some technicality.

would ntoe be an easy trial to be a juror at
Old 01-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow.

That is so disturbing.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There is a special place in hell for people that hurt children.

Especially when they hurt children over something like money or hurt feelings.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I don't think I could do it. I don't think I could mentally handle hearing the testimony & seeing evidence. They must provide some kind of counselling service or therapy for jurors after cases like this?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I don't think I could do it. I don't think I could mentally handle hearing the testimony & seeing evidence. They must provide some kind of counselling service or therapy for jurors after cases like this?
Yes, counselling is available for the jurors.

Quote:
Judge says counselling will be available to jurors during or after #garland trial
https://twitter.com/ValFortney?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There is a special place in hell for people that hurt children.
No there isn't. There isn't even a special cell to lock away these animals, unfortunately no punishment is fitting.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would hope they provide some sort of services for the jurors. Just reading those tweets was hard. I can't imagine hearing more details and seeing photos. These are the kinds of people who should be put to death, unfortunately that isn't possible.

This is such a sad story. What a mad man.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to hear they have good evidence. Put this bastard away forever.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some more:

Meghan Grant @CBCMeg
"My mom, I would consider her my best friend. She helped me raise my kinds," Jennifer testifies at #Garland trial w/ voice shaking

"He was just truly a kind, loving, happy, happy boy," says Jennifer of her son, Nathan O'Brien, 5. #Garland accused of murdering her son

Jennifer testifies at #Garland trial that on June 29, 2014, Nathan, 5, chose to visit his grandma instead of going to the zoo

Jennifer #Garland trial testimony: sleepover Nathan's idea. Nathan wore his female cousin's fleecy pink PJs. Jennifer giggles at this detail

#Garland trial hears Nathan, 5, brought superman cape with him to grandparents. Grandma had bought him costume w/ muscles. The boy loved it

#Garland trial: Throughout the whole house, it was just like a bloody scene, says Jennifer. Pools of blood on the bed, wall, kitchen

Jennifer on phone call to husband: "I said my family's been murdered and he's taken the bodies." Then called 911

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 01-16-2017 at 01:14 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:

would not be an easy trial to be a juror at

I had a friend called in to be a juror for this trial - lucky for him he was not picked

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #12
gildo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Very hard to read & can't even imagine what the family went through & will forever go through. Some of the details coming out are crazy. To think Nathan's mother, who was also staying over, left at 11pm as 1 year old son was fussing and for her to return to that scene in the morning, wow! Nathan chose to stay at Grandma & Grandpa's rather than go to the zoo with family. Just heartbreaking.
gildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #13
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:

I did one of those "friend of a friend of a friend" follow the comment things on Facebook today and read where the person was called for jury duty for this trial. She was declined, based on a few different criteria, and she said in many ways, she was happy to have been rejected, as she wasn't sure she could have handled it, emotionally or mentally, and was certain it was something she'd definitely need counselling for. She has kids near the same ages and lives in the area Garland lived, which were 2 of the reasons she listed for being rejected. I can't imagine being chosen for a juror for this trial either.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. Call me a coward, but if I was called for this sort of jury duty I would do whatever I could to get out of it...
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it would sure be hard to have an open mind even after just reading what has come out on day 1.

as a parent, I can't imagine how you would not spend the rest of your life asking yourself why you did not take both kids home that night......
Old 01-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #17
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
Yes, counselling is available for the jurors.

https://twitter.com/ValFortney?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Judge says counselling available for jurors during trial? Not sure how that would be done without creating a mistrial. For any case, but perhaps especially in a case where the alleged murders will have to be proved circumstantially since no bodies have been found.

How can one be an impartial trier of fact and also be getting grief counselling mid-way through the hearing where you are supposed to only decide if anything bad actually happened after hearing all of the evidence from both sides?
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #18
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
Judge says counselling available for jurors during trial? Not sure how that would be done without creating a mistrial. For any case, but perhaps especially in a case where the alleged murders will have to be proved circumstantially since no bodies have been found.

How can one be an impartial trier of fact and also be getting grief counselling mid-way through the hearing where you are supposed to only decide if anything bad actually happened after hearing all of the evidence from both sides?
Really good point, I was actually wondering myself how someone could receive counselling during a trial.

Maybe the reporter misinterpreted what the judge was saying?

Edit:

CBC's Meghan Grant reports it differently.

Quote:
"I urge you to take advantage of this program," Gates says to jurors re. making use of available mental health services after trial
https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/821052994418577409

Last edited by Wiggum_PI; 01-16-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiggum_PI For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #19
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post

Are you deciding whether something bad happened or deciding whether this individual is responsible though? Not really the same question it would seem.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #20
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Crown: July 1/2 2014 aerial photos taken above #Garland farm show bodies of Nathan, Alvin and Kathy face down on the grass
This confuses me. Who was taking aerial footage and when did it become available to police? Like how does footage show 3 bodies face down in a field yet doesn't make it to the police in time to find the bodies?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: