Are you Mike Duffy?
No, I'm one of the good ones.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #102
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not yet 40 but feel to old to start over....[/QUOTE]

I am 40 and I felt the same way about starting over until I spoke to my doctor; he is also a good friend and knows me well. He said even if I took a four year degree, I would be done school before I am 45 and have 20 years left to offer am employer. For me, that comment alleviated a lot of the feelings I had about being too old to go back to school. That being said, the adjustment to a lower financial situation isn't appealing.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #103
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fascinating thread. I stuck it out in a well paying job knowing it wouldn't be sustainable forever (it wasn't a matter of if I would leave but when). When an opportunity came up, I gambled a bit and took a significant pay cut for better hours/workload/etc and I couldn't be happier with how it's worked out. Better fit for me and the lifestyle I wanted.

My piece of advice is this: it was easier for me to take a chance leaving that higher paying, less than ideal job knowing that I could probably go back to that job (even if it was a different employer) if things didn't work out. Fortunately, I had spent just enough time "grinding it out" that I was able to develop some good quality skills; I suspect the OP is in a similar situation...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #104
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grew up as a rancher and was always told I would be a rancher when I grew up. But I was good at sports and became a professional athlete. I signed on with a team in the States but was lucky to play for a couple teams in Alberta including your local team. I ended up getting traded to the States just last year.

I'm currently without a job so I can't say I love or hate what I currently do. I may go back to being a rancher full time but I do have a try out in Denver next month.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #105
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I grew up as a rancher and was always told I would be a rancher when I grew up. But I was good at sports and became a professional athlete. I signed on with a team in the States but was lucky to play for a couple teams in Alberta including your local team. I ended up getting traded to the States just last year.

I'm currently without a job so I can't say I love or hate what I currently do. I may go back to being a rancher full time but I do have a try out in Denver next month.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #106
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Old 08-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #107
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have to ask, what sport?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #108
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I'm not yet 40 but feel to old to start over....
I am 40 and I felt the same way about starting over until I spoke to my doctor; he is also a good friend and knows me well. He said even if I took a four year degree, I would be done school before I am 45 and have 20 years left to offer am employer. For me, that comment alleviated a lot of the feelings I had about being too old to go back to school. That being said, the adjustment to a lower financial situation isn't appealing.[/QUOTE]

I do appreciate the input and I have thought about it the trouble is a really have no idea what I would want to do. With the wife starting out new I have said to myself lets see what shape we are in in a year or two. She will be at the mercy of shot dates and most in the film industry do not work year round. So once we have a feel for how that plays I start to think about a change again.

I am also actively pushing my company to relocate due to a few things so the thought of designing a new facility has me pretty excited. Should know in a few months how that looks.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #109
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm an accountant / finance person, and while I can't say I love what I do, I don't mind it either. It's just what I'm good at doing. It's a desk job building financial models, doing budgets, variance analyses, reports, etc. It's not the most exciting job in the world (don't think there will be a CSI type show on my field anytime soon).

But I definitely don't wake up in the morning dreading to go to work. Part of it is because I do like the company I work for a lot. I've been here for 10 years now, and although there have been a lot of changes, the core of the company is still very good to me. It's a healthy working environment, decent pay, good work/life balance, and the company's image and what they stand for makes me proud to say I work for them.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #110
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'm an accountant / finance person, and while I can't say I love what I do, I don't mind it either. It's just what I'm good at doing. It's a desk job building financial models, doing budgets, variance analyses, reports, etc. It's not the most exciting job in the world (don't think there will be a CSI type show on my field anytime soon).

But I definitely don't wake up in the morning dreading to go to work. Part of it is because I do like the company I work for a lot. I've been here for 10 years now, and although there have been a lot of changes, the core of the company is still very good to me. It's a healthy working environment, decent pay, good work/life balance, and the company's image and what they stand for makes me proud to say I work for them.
Ha! Thats hilarious! Now I'm thinking about that at my job.

"My GOD! This man has misplaced his 4-digit GST Access Code!"

"This criminal tried sneaking his speeding tickets into his line items in order to deduct them from his taxes!"

God that show would suck.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #111
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I started out in academics doing some research but quickly transitioned into teaching.

I spent a couple of years teaching until I'd had my fill and decided like many here that I wanted to work more with my hands. Because i already had some experience I started up in a machining shop as a blacksmith apprentice. This was a fun job but a terrible, terrible work environment.

A pretty serious workplace accident settled things for me and I've since gone back to using my brain instead of my hands to make the bulk of my living. 10 years ago I would have never imagined myself in a business development / operations management role but here I am.

It's less stressful than having to have eyes in the back of my head in a machining shop or up 5 stories of scaffolding, but it has it's own challenges.

They are all 'jobs' and a means to an end, but I have surprised myself how much i have enjoyed and been competent at business development. I'm inclined to believe that I'll continue to seek varied work experience over working in the same industry forever.

Growing up it was always the goal to get that job at that one company that you have for 30-40 years, but I have really enjoyed having such a diverse background to draw on; had I stayed in the same industry, I wouldn't have experienced the same kind of personal growth.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #112
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have to ask, what sport?
I'll give you a hint.

*Scoreface*
Old 08-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #113
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ha! Thats hilarious! Now I'm thinking about that at my job.

"My GOD! This man has misplaced his 4-digit GST Access Code!"

"This criminal tried sneaking his speeding tickets into his line items in order to deduct them from his taxes!"

God that show would suck.
Maybe if they jazz it up with funky lighting and rock music, it will make it more exciting. Those access codes aren't going to find themselves.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #114
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I am 40 and I felt the same way about starting over until I spoke to my doctor; he is also a good friend and knows me well. He said even if I took a four year degree, I would be done school before I am 45 and have 20 years left to offer am employer. For me, that comment alleviated a lot of the feelings I had about being too old to go back to school. That being said, the adjustment to a lower financial situation isn't appealing.

I do appreciate the input and I have thought about it the trouble is a really have no idea what I would want to do. With the wife starting out new I have said to myself lets see what shape we are in in a year or two. She will be at the mercy of shot dates and most in the film industry do not work year round. So once we have a feel for how that plays I start to think about a change again.

I am also actively pushing my company to relocate due to a few things so the thought of designing a new facility has me pretty excited. Should know in a few months how that looks.
I would suggest doing a comprehensive vocational appraisal. Many of the things that were highlighted in that testing for me were things I didn't imagine being possible and 6 years later I'm in the thick of it doing them.

It might really alleviate some of the things 'blocking' you from looking elsewhere.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 08-20-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #115
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Maybe if they jazz it up with funky lighting and rock music, it will make it more exciting. Those access codes aren't going to find themselves.
Or have the lab guy staring intently at the screen...

"Enhance...*tap, tap*"

Or put CRA paper in one of those little test-tubes with liquid in them and then spin them around.

"Analyzing!"

Nope. Still dull as hell.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #116
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

I would suggest doing a comprehensive vocational appraisal. Many of the things that were highlighted in that testing for me were things I didn't imagine being possible and 6 years later I'm in the thick of it doing them.

It might really alleviate some of the things 'blocking' you from looking elsewhere.

Tell me more please
Old 08-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #117
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll give you a hint.

*Scoreface*
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #118
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'll give you a hint.

*Scoreface*
Any truth to this or am I missing out on a another CP inside joke? Both are entirely possible.

And what in the blue blazes is a vocational appraisal? If it involves a doctor and gloves been there done that and don't wear the T-shirt.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #119
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll give you a hint.

*Scoreface*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Any truth to this or am I missing out on a another CP inside joke? Both are entirely possible.

I took it to mean the sport is hockey, but maybe....I wonder...
Old 08-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #120
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Tell me more please
When I got out of teaching I didn't know what I wanted to do, needed money so I took a job that went in the direction I thought I wanted to go in.

I met with an industrial psychologist and we did some testing over a series of days. A lot of testing. They helped explain where my skill set and interests overlapped and pointed me to some fields/industries I might find rewarding.

At the time I wasn't really ready to take the advice but it's ringing true now.

The person who did my testing isn't in practice any more so I can't give a personal recommendation, but there's gotta be loads of companies/people doing it, especially in the Calgary area due to their high concentration of management positions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: