Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #261
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am currently an arena attendant, and I want a career change so badly. The hours here are crazy, and working pretty much every weekend gets old fast. During the winter months we work 4-5 weekends in a row. Not sure what exactly I want to go into yet though.

The part I do enjoy about the job is running the Zamboni, and being around people all day. Just don't like the hours, every weekend, and all the cleaning we do. If we aren't flooding the ice it feels like we are just cleaning.

Also, this is a great thread, loved reading the reviews of other peoples careers.

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #262
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm eternally grateful to my grandfather who taught me that I wasn't supposed to like work, that was why they paid me to go in everyday.
Because of this I never had any high expectations of work fulfilling my life, the crappy parts were to be expected and the good bits seemed like gravy.
I always looked to find fulfillment outside of work, going to see bands, playing soccer, volunteer work then as I got older family.
The odd thing is maybe because I expected so little out of work it has never got on my nerves that much and I've always found a way to enjoy what I do.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #263
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the "do what you love" moniker is unintentionally terrible advice, leading people to constantly be searching for the perfect career, which doesn't exist. My feelings are even if someone paid you to test video games all day, the fact that you're obligated to do it and all the pressure that comes with having to perform would quickly make that activity feel like a job and not something most people do for fun. I've listened to Mike Rowe from dirty jobs talk a lot about this too, his claim is that some of the most happy and well adjusted people have terrible jobs that no one in their right mind would want to. No one in the entire world is passionate about septic tank emptying, but people do it for a living and are content with it. There's satisfaction to be found in meaningful work.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #264
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Find a job that pays well and learn to like it.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #265
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

What job?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #266
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't even realize that this was a bumped thread until the last page. This is actually the type of thread that should see a couple of posts a week, just for the general emotional wellbeing of CP as a whole.

I have had an interesting work-school history that eventually led me to the film industry, where I lost my shirt due to naive business decisions. I took me and my heavy debtload away from there, and honestly am worried that 10 years off has eroded my abilities to the point that I can't return. I would like to give it another shot at some point, though.

I spent the last decade scrambling to keep food on the table, and ended up in retail management. I like the industry, but the people I work for are not encumbered by strong morals.

I am currently working on opening my own shop, with a partner I trust, and feel that we are putting together a strong business plan. Hopefully we can fund the venture ourselves, and through loans, as to not dilute the prospective return too far with investors.

Biggest worry right now is someone else jumping into the general location we are eyeing, and doing a subpar job of it that kills the market.

I'm sorry for being vague this early in the process, but the opportunity to work for myself, and build something that doesn't directly benefit people who are undeserving, has me excited about the future like I haven't felt in a long time.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #267
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
but the people I work for are not encumbered by strong morals.
This made me laugh a bit. I have worked with similar folks, I think.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #268
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't even realize that this was a bumped thread until the last page. This is actually the type of thread that should see a couple of posts a week, just for the general emotional wellbeing of CP as a whole.

I have had an interesting work-school history that eventually led me to the film industry, where I lost my shirt due to naive business decisions. I took me and my heavy debtload away from there, and honestly am worried that 10 years off has eroded my abilities to the point that I can't return. I would like to give it another shot at some point, though.

I spent the last decade scrambling to keep food on the table, and ended up in retail management. I like the industry, but the people I work for are not encumbered by strong morals.

I am currently working on opening my own shop, with a partner I trust, and feel that we are putting together a strong business plan. Hopefully we can fund the venture ourselves, and through loans, as to not dilute the prospective return too far with investors.

Biggest worry right now is someone else jumping into the general location we are eyeing, and doing a subpar job of it that kills the market.

I'm sorry for being vague this early in the process, but the opportunity to work for myself, and build something that doesn't directly benefit people who are undeserving, has me excited about the future like I haven't felt in a long time.

Knowing what kind if character Harry Lime was in The Third Man, I'm chuckling about the "employers not encumbered by strong morals" line.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #269
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find the people you work with make a bigger difference than the work itself. I really hate the company I work for right now and am leaving in a month, but the work isn't so bad. The people around me just bring me down. Work is work, you can't avoid it, but you can avoid negative people if you really want to.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #270
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
This made me laugh a bit. I have worked with similar folks, I think.
I'm proud to say that I've met almost zero pharmacists that weren't highly ethical. Makes me proud of my profession
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #271
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eventually everything will grind you down.

If you ask me the benefits of being a self-employed Tax Accountant my answer is going to fluctuate depending on what time of year it is, what kind of day I've had and a host of other factors.

You just have to find something that works for you more often than not.

Everyone has worked those soul-sucking 'this window looks high enough' jobs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #272
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

My perspective is that there are limited ethics in the Construction Industry. It's always low price wins and finding a way hide the actual costs from the owner that he will pay for thru changes.

Conversely owners are trying to add clauses to contracts where the guy who wins the job just slit his own throat.

It's also trending to get even more cut throat too.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 03-12-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Sylvanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #273
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
My perspective is that there are limited ethics in the Construction Industry. It's always low price wins and finding a way hide the actual costs from the owner that he will pay for thru changes.

Conversely owners are trying to add clauses to contracts where the guy who wins the job just slit his own throat.

It's also trending to get even more cut throat too.
That's strong language, but I can understand this. The owner wants cost certainty, the bidder wants to win the work by being low bid. The contract governs, so there becomes a huge spec sheet outlining, increasingly to the nth degree, the exact specs. And then the game becomes, what are part of the specs and what are extras. Lots of room on either side to twist things around.

Then add a general contractor in between them. And an EPC.

But yeah, what a game.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #274
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
That's strong language, but I can understand this. The owner wants cost certainty, the bidder wants to win the work by being low bid. The contract governs, so there becomes a huge spec sheet outlining, increasingly to the nth degree, the exact specs. And then the game becomes, what are part of the specs and what are extras. Lots of room on either side to twist things around.

Then add a general contractor in between them. And an EPC.

But yeah, what a game.
There is a reason that very few projects complete on budget and on time without some sort of litigation.

It's also one that isn't seeing the level of productivity gains that it should.

Maybe the current economy is sucking the enjoyment out of the job. But I'm starting to think even if the money came back the enjoyment factor still wouldn't come back unless something else changed.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #275
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Reading between the lines of your post it appears you've been down this road already but the importance of a Unanimous Shareholders Agreement can't be overstated. How business-critical decisions are made (i.e. who makes them), apportionment of dollars (+/-) and a shotgun clause (or other binding dispute-resolution mechanism) are all key pieces. In the final analysis each party in a partnership operates out of economic self-interest so a lot of potential grief is avoided when the terms are known from upfront. Lawyer involvement to draft and bind the agreement with you and the partner(s) is also a good plan. Good luck. Working for yourself can be hugely rewarding.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #276
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Reading between the lines of your post it appears you've been down this road already but the importance of a Unanimous Shareholders Agreement can't be overstated. How business-critical decisions are made (i.e. who makes them), apportionment of dollars (+/-) and a shotgun clause (or other binding dispute-resolution mechanism) are all key pieces. In the final analysis each party in a partnership operates out of economic self-interest so a lot of potential grief is avoided when the terms are known from upfront. Lawyer involvement to draft and bind the agreement with you and the partner(s) is also a good plan. Good luck. Working for yourself can be hugely rewarding.
Couldnt agree more.

The very first words out of my Business Law Professor's mouth were: "Never get into a Partnership."

Now, obviously thats hyperbole, but the point is be very particular and dot your 'i's' and cross your 't's' on an ironclad, well understood and mutually acknowledged partnership agreement.

Its worth your weight in Gold.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #277
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Good luck with your entrepreneurship, I learned a long time ago I have no interest in being my own boss.

I really like working for a company with an HR department and solid mentorship.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #278
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love what I do. But I don't love the company I do it for.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #279
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had a do-over and could go back in time I probably would. I sort of fell into my profession inadvertently and while I make a good living and the work can be interesting at times it is also something I definately do not enjoy doing every day. But I've invested too much time to change now and the job is pretty niche so there isn't a lot I could do otherwise anyhow. In other words I'm too old and my education is too out of date to make a change now unless I blow it all up and go back to square one. Looking back I wish I would have taken some time to pursue what I really wanted to do (or thought I wanted to do anyhow) and given that a chance. Instead I did what I thought others expected of me and once I realized that was not what I wanted I always felt it would be too many steps back to change direction so I just kept trudging along, waiting to see where life would take me next.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #280
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I think the "do what you love" moniker is unintentionally terrible advice, leading people to constantly be searching for the perfect career, which doesn't exist. My feelings are even if someone paid you to test video games all day, the fact that you're obligated to do it and all the pressure that comes with having to perform would quickly make that activity feel like a job and not something most people do for fun. I've listened to Mike Rowe from dirty jobs talk a lot about this too, his claim is that some of the most happy and well adjusted people have terrible jobs that no one in their right mind would want to. No one in the entire world is passionate about septic tank emptying, but people do it for a living and are content with it. There's satisfaction to be found in meaningful work.
I think someone can find satisfaction in any job provided it is a decent working environment. And I'm not talking about easy hours and time to browse CP. I'm talking about a decent boss and good working conditions.

But I agree, seems like a lot of people get caught up in not being able to find happiness in what they do because it isn't what they 'love' which is pretty short-sighted in my opinion.

It is also probably a reason we have such a shortage of people in the trades in North America.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote