Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #121
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I was in Best Buy last weekend to purchase a rather high end TV. They didn't have the model I wanted in stock, and rather then let me have the only model above it for the same price (or something fair), they let me walk.

I went to Visions (where they sell for commission), and I got the tv I wanted for $500 less. WTH - Best Buy, if you are reading this, if you let a customer walk out empty handed, you are doing something wrong. This is the path to a fast retail death. How can Visions sell the same product, with commission for $500 less?
Best Buy employees don't work on commissions and I believe Vision employees do. Probably the difference of the level of care between the two places.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #122
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
The old A&B was awesome. I loved that store. Wish that building was basically anything but a gym now.
Like McNally Robinson being the Sportchek further down Stephen Ave.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #123
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah I've got to admit I used to be so annoyed at future shop. Walking in, you were harassed by multiple people because they were on commission.

Walked into a Best Buy in the summer and I pretty much had to beg for a little help.

Guess lazy workers are the reason commission based jobs are needed.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #124
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next up, how is The Source(Radio Shack) still around? I can't think of a single thing I would ever buy from that store.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #125
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Next up, how is The Source(Radio Shack) still around? I can't think of a single thing I would ever buy from that store.
Batteries man....batteries...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #126
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Best customer service of all the electronic stores.
I try to do most of my shopping there.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:02 AM   #127
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
In regards to Chapters. I was looking for a particular book for my wife at Christmas.I decided to look on their website so I would not waste my time and find out there were none when I got there. The website said that there were 15 in stock and hey it was on sale for $22, terrific. I get to the store and find the book but it says $30 on it. I bring up the website on my phone and talk to a person there. They told me that the price online is cheaper because people will pay a premium to get the book right now in their hands.
Needless to say I put the book back and ordered it online before I even left the store. Sure they still got the money but it I thought it odd that the same company had different pricing for online vs. a physical store.
I conceptually understand the reasoning, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way. It makes me never want to walk in to a Chapters, knowing that I would be paying the sucker price.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #128
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
I conceptually understand the reasoning, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way. It makes me never want to walk in to a Chapters, knowing that I would be paying the sucker price.
The worst thing was the smug way the lady told me. She sort of had that tone of "what are you going to do about it"? I then told her that I will order it online and she again smugly says "Well it's past the time where we can guarantee it will be delivered before Christmas so it's up to you but it will be late." I got it on the 19th after ordering it on the 14th or 15th.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:24 PM   #129
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Best Buy employees don't work on commissions and I believe Vision employees do. Probably the difference of the level of care between the two places.
I think that is what I posted?

Vision, with commission, was able to sell me a TV for $500 less. Best Buy did not have the tv in stock and wouldn't budge on the price of a TV that was less than $500 more, but in stock. They let me walk. There was no reason to let me walk out without a tv, especially in the price range I was looking at.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 PM   #130
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

One big thing that Bestbuy has going for it is the extremely profitable cellphone industry as well as the fact that they've embraced their store model being a "showcase floor" of sorts. Companies like Apple, LG, Samsung, etc all pay Bestbuy for floor space to have their product prominently displayed with demos and assigned employees, whether Bestbuy or 3rd party hires. Couple the fact that the company holds a sizable majority in electronic sales and are continually expanding their product line in a weird way (home appliance, decor, etc) and it's hard to imagine them being in serious trouble unless something major changes.

They've already gone through a number of restructures (cutting excessive middle management and managers, closing Futureshop/some Bestbuy stores).
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:48 AM   #131
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Similar to the conversation, I'm amazed Chapters/Indigo is still around in the same capacity. I get books are a lot more personal to (most) people than physical dvds/games/music, but they fact that they still continue to hold the amount of retail space they do, and be anchor stores for malls astonishes me.
Basically, a customer who buys one gift item at Indigo/Chapters subsidizes 3 books to be or stay on the shelf. They've also started ordering a more reasonable volume of new books from publishers. Instead of a store getting 80 copies of the newest James Patterson and having to either mark down ~50 or so copies 2 months later or send them back to the publisher, they will get 25%-50% less stock in the first place....which allows more space & money for the gift items.

Indigo also didn't shy away from ebooks & ereaders, right from the start. It helps that they partially owned Kobo, but even after they sold it off, they still sell them in their stores at ~$125 a pop, and they are a solid product. Plus all the accessories that go with, plus you can use Indigo gift cards with a Kobo. I don't think you'll see much in the way of newer "anchor" stores being built...they just closed a couple of large flagship stores in Toronto a couple of years ago.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #132
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
The website said that there were 15 in stock and hey it was on sale for $22, terrific. I get to the store and find the book but it says $30 on it. I bring up the website on my phone and talk to a person there. They told me that the price online is cheaper because people will pay a premium to get the book right now in their hands.
Pay a premium because it's "in your hands right now"? This (besides sounding like a bait and switch) seems completely ass-backwards to me. It's a book, not a morning after pill.

I'd pay a premium to not have to go to the mall but I don't have to pay a premium because I get it cheaper by not going to the mall and order books online and they show up 2-3 days later.

Telling someone they need to pay almost a third more for a book because "it's in their hands" is just silly, and if that's a company rationale for charging more these days, they are screwed.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:21 AM   #133
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Pay a premium because it's "in your hands right now"? This (besides sounding like a bait and switch) seems completely ass-backwards to me. It's a book, not a morning after pill.

I'd pay a premium to not have to go to the mall but I don't have to pay a premium because I get it cheaper by not going to the mall and order books online and they show up 2-3 days later.

Telling someone they need to pay almost a third more for a book because "it's in their hands" is just silly, and if that's a company rationale for charging more these days, they are screwed.
I would guess its an employee who did not do a very good job of explaining why this was the case (i.e. more overhead costs to carry a book in store versus online, etc.).
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #134
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Probably 90% of major video game purchases are still physical. They will be fine for some time.
Do you mean a physical box with a token startup disk? most high end games are now 15-20+ gigs that you have to download the content anyway.

my son hasn't bought a game from EB in 2 years, he finds it easier/cheaper to use steam,origin or Xbox points.

EB games will likely be gone in 2 years or less
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #135
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Went in to HMV last night to drain my Pure points before they close down and was told that they don't accept them anymore. Kinda wish they would have said something sooner...now im sitting on $30 worth of points that I could have used a week ago.
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #136
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Do you mean a physical box with a token startup disk? most high end games are now 15-20+ gigs that you have to download the content anyway.

my son hasn't bought a game from EB in 2 years, he finds it easier/cheaper to use steam,origin or Xbox points.

EB games will likely be gone in 2 years or less
Console storefronts are starting to do more Steam like sales which is a good sign, but until the lower prices are more regular, I will stick to buying boxed copies that I can trade, give to friends, re-sell, etc.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #137
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
One big thing that Bestbuy has going for it is the extremely profitable cellphone industry as well as the fact that they've embraced their store model being a "showcase floor" of sorts. Companies like Apple, LG, Samsung, etc all pay Bestbuy for floor space to have their product prominently displayed with demos and assigned employees, whether Bestbuy or 3rd party hires. Couple the fact that the company holds a sizable majority in electronic sales and are continually expanding their product line in a weird way (home appliance, decor, etc) and it's hard to imagine them being in serious trouble unless something major changes.

They've already gone through a number of restructures (cutting excessive middle management and managers, closing Futureshop/some Bestbuy stores).
Not to mention the that early last year (i believe, or the year before), they laid off all their higher earning managers, and replaced with with their intermediate sales people.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #138
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Not to mention the that early last year (i believe, or the year before), they laid off all their higher earning managers, and replaced with with their intermediate sales people.
That sounds like SOP for pretty much any service/retail company every few years.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #139
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post

I think a lot of people would pay a few dollars more to have something immediately than wait a week to order it online. That's especially true for new releases and trendy things. Many people also love to tell people they've read something, so that makes the desire to have it now greater.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #140
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think a lot of people would pay a few dollars more to have something immediately than wait a week to order it online. That's especially true for new releases and trendy things. Many people also love to tell people they've read something, so that makes the desire to have it now greater.
I think a lot of people are used to waiting a day or two for delivery, and if (God, I hate this phrase) brick and mortar stores tried charging a premium for the fact that I had to drive there, instead of ordering it in my underwear and seeing it on my step the day after tomorrow, they'll tighten their own noose.

I agree that this was an incoherent staffperson. Such a bad thing to say.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote