Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #1541
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think I like Jim Jefferies way better in person than on his specials. Seems to lay off the booze when filming the specials. Both time I've seen him in Calgary he's drunk and gets progressively drunker as the night goes on. Seems to be wittier and have more audience interaction when he's on the booze. Netflix specials are still great for him though.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #1542
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I love the fact that the first season of Mystery Science Fiction 3000 is on Netflix. I watched the fourth episode with Future War.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #1543
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I love the fact that the first season of Mystery Science Fiction 3000 is on Netflix. I watched the fourth episode with Future War.

Cool. I didn't know they put that up.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #1544
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I think I like Jim Jefferies way better in person than on his specials. Seems to lay off the booze when filming the specials. Both time I've seen him in Calgary he's drunk and gets progressively drunker as the night goes on. Seems to be wittier and have more audience interaction when he's on the booze. Netflix specials are still great for him though.
Seeing him live is definitely a unique experience. He often goes over his time. The 2nd last time I saw him he was pretty cut, and went almost 2 hours. 45 minutes of pure audience interaction and extra jokes.

I bet he was regretting taking pictures with everyone afterward. In my picture with him he looks pretty sauced.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #1545
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Seeing him live is definitely a unique experience. He often goes over his time. The 2nd last time I saw him he was pretty cut, and went almost 2 hours. 45 minutes of pure audience interaction and extra jokes.

I bet he was regretting taking pictures with everyone afterward. In my picture with him he looks pretty sauced.
We was slurring his words by the end of his set the first time he played Calgary a couple of years ago. He didn't have a second show that night like he did a few weeks ago that he had to stay somewhat in control for.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #1546
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone catch Amy Schumer's comments today? It's not that people don't like her new special, according to her it's great, it's the usual alt-right trolls are going out of their way to spew negativity on everything she does because she's a woman and one of the biggest comedians in the world selling out stadium......

Probably had nothing to do with it actually not being very good, and the fact that people are pissed off at her for being caught stealing jokes red handed on multiple occasions.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #1547
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I've never understood her mass appeal. Her whole "I'm a tramp, that drinks too much" schtick wore out on my pretty quickly, even on Last Comic Standing Season 5. She never seemed to have the wit the great comedians do in my mind. That said, she should teach marketing at the Wharton School of Business. She jumped all over the "I'm proud of my body" movement well ahead before it became mainstream and she was able to build a very large female fan base from that. Didn't even really matter if she was funny from that point. She was set.

I don't think she's an amazing comic or anything but what's wrong with being proud of your body? That isn't a movement, that's just something that should be supported
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
V
Old 03-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #1548
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I don't think she's an amazing comic or anything but what's wrong with being proud of your body? That isn't a movement, that's just something that should be supported
There's nothing wrong with it at all. I am distinguished gentleman of size myself. Maybe not movement is the correct word, but let's be honest, she got millions of women as fans because of her message and the card she played, and not her actual performance on stage.

My wife and her entire circle of friends went to her show last time she was in Calgary. None of them know anything about standup comedy, like it, or will ever go again. Amy could have put the worst show of her life on, and they'd say it was great.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #1549
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with it at all. I am distinguished gentleman of size myself. Maybe not movement is the correct word, but let's be honest, she got millions of women as fans because of her message and the card she played, and not her actual performance on stage.

My wife and her entire circle of friends went to her show last time she was in Calgary. None of them know anything about standup comedy, like it, or will ever go again. Amy could have put the worst show of her life on, and they'd say it was great.
I don't know, you seem to have a disproportionate need to tear her down because she's popular and you don't connect with her comedy.

Some people find her really funny, other people don't. Less than stellar comedians become wildly popular every few years, I doubt very much it's always some calculated agenda to capitalise on a movement. Comedians steal jokes, they are sometimes terrible people. Are you as upset that Louis CK gets a pass for the things he's been accused of?

Last edited by PepsiFree; 03-16-2017 at 08:37 PM.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #1550
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't know, you seem to have a disproportionate need to tear her down because she's popular and you don't connect with her comedy.

Some people find her really funny, other people don't. Less than stellar comedians become wildly popular every few years, I doubt very much it's always some calculated agenda to capitalise on a movement. Comedians steal jokes, they are sometimes terrible people. Are you as upset that Louis CK gets a pass for the things he's been accused of?
Was never a fan, but didn't mind her when she first came out. Her jokes are tired now though and she quite prone to stealing them. The only reason she hits my radar is every time she bombs now the reason is because of sexism or body shaming. She's just not that good.

I don't know anything about Louis CK to comment. Never seen one of his specials. I saw him on a couple late night talk shows, wasn't really my jam as I found him obnoxious so I never went any further.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 03-16-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #1551
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I tear her down for the same reason I tore Carlos Mencia down. She's an unapologetic material thief.

The difference between Louis CK being "accused" of something and what Amy Schumer HAS done is just that. Louis CK has been accused with no proof or follow up that I've seen. Amy Schumer straight up steals jokes. She lifts material almost verbatim and changes the pace and timing of the joke.

I have no issue with Amy being proud of her body, and don't think she has anything to be ashamed of in that regard. But to say her most recent special is bombing because people want to shame her body or because of the "alt-right" boogey man is her trying to take advantage of the fact she is at the head of the "Body Positive" movement and to distract from the fact that the special wasn't that good and had more material blatantly lifted from other comics which she immediately got called out on.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #1552
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought the Schumer special was good for about 10 minutes, but then realized every joke was going to a variation of "aren't I such a dirty slut", which can't carry a whole special.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #1553
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It amazingly managed to carry all of her last specials.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #1554
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Alpine Oracle,

Schumer a joke thief on multiple occasions?

Are you talking about the bit on a special over a year ago with the "Dirty Sanchez", "Houdini" type jokes that everyone got pissed about because they were similar to a Patrice O'Neil bit a decade ago?

That material is so common that it's almost public domain at this point, that was her take on it. All of her peers in the NYC comic scene have zero problem with it, many of those comics knew Patrice. Zero problem.

Is there another instance/example you're referring to that people are complaining about?
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #1555
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
Alpine Oracle,

Schumer a joke thief on multiple occasions?

Are you talking about the bit on a special over a year ago with the "Dirty Sanchez", "Houdini" type jokes that everyone got pissed about because they were similar to a Patrice O'Neil bit a decade ago?

That material is so common that it's almost public domain at this point, that was her take on it. All of her peers in the NYC comic scene have zero problem with it, many of those comics knew Patrice. Zero problem.

Is there another instance/example you're referring to that people are complaining about?
Look up the videos on Youtube. There are tons of them showing her stealing bits for her show and jokes for her stand up. Its too much to be coincidence.
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #1556
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
There is a movement though, the healthy at every size bull####. While Amy's not necessarily a proponent of the movement, there is a huge overlap of her audience and the idiots who subscribe to the healthy at every size stuff. Unfortunately (or probably more fortunately) for her, as one of the bigger new actresses she's got a following of people who are just happy to see "non-ideal" body types in entertainment. That's not to say she herself is overweight, I think she's on the upper-end of healthy weight, but she's overweight by Hollywood standards.

As for what's wrong with being proud of your body? Well the health risks associated with being fat, see this timely article released today by Global News:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3317067/be...y-60-per-cent/

Quote:
There are about 14 million obese or overweight adults in the country, along with another 500,000 kids grappling with weight gain, according to Statistics Canada.
Nothing to be proud about in that statistic.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #1557
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post

She has been directly called out by Kathleen Madigan, Wendy Liebman and Tammy Pascetelli for directly lifting their bits. A writer from Arrested Development also chimed in that he was seeing lifted bits.

Now, from this special she has jokes that are almost verbatim from Dave Attell and Dave Chapelle.

Material lifting happens, but Schumer is frustrating because she has catapulted to stardom off of it and is now rubbing it in our face every time she gets in front of a camera

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #1558
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

is the 4k netflix worth it in Canada yet? we always get less titles than US so curious
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #1559
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
is the 4k netflix worth it in Canada yet? we always get less titles than US so curious
Feel free to correct me on this, but that is a pretty old argument about netflix in Canada. The title selection has improved drastically over the years and I don't have much in the way of complaints about selection now.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #1560
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I've been enjoying season 3 of Halt and Catch Fire. They turned Joe McMillan into a bit of a John MaAfee type character.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote