Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #1601
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default General Apple Megathread

Glad I came across this, my 6s is eligible for the battery replacement. Damn thing would just shut off at the 30-40% randomly

Update - just got back from the Apple Store and got my battery replaced for free.

Last edited by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration; 12-18-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #1602
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The lightning port on my iPhone seems to be damaged, if I move the phone while it's plugged in it'll act like I'm plugging and unplugging it over and over quickly, so it seems like a bad or worn solder joint. If I set the phone down a certain way it'll not charge at all. I've tried multiple cables so I don't think it's the cable.

Anyone had this kind of problem and know how much Apple would charge to fix it?
Old 12-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #1603
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The lightning port on my iPhone seems to be damaged, if I move the phone while it's plugged in it'll act like I'm plugging and unplugging it over and over quickly, so it seems like a bad or worn solder joint. If I set the phone down a certain way it'll not charge at all. I've tried multiple cables so I don't think it's the cable.

That happened to me. I found that if I set the end of the charger at a different angle it worked well so I would put the charger end on top of a book or coaster and it worked fine. Try different variations of this.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #1604
Jawbone Hill
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

You may want to check your lightning port for obstruction. I had this happen to my iPhone 5, and the culprit turned out to be about a year's worth of pocket lint, compressed due to the plugging and unplugging of the lightning cable. If there is something in the port, you may be able to get it out using the Nintendo 'blow in it' method. I ended up having to use a toothpick to loosen it, but if you go this route be gentle so that the port doesn't get damaged.
Jawbone Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jawbone Hill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #1605
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That happened to me. I found that if I set the end of the charger at a different angle it worked well so I would put the charger end on top of a book or coaster and it worked fine. Try different variations of this.
Yeah I as long as I don't touch it fortunately the default just-lie-flat position works so I don't need to go that far yet, but I assume it's going to get progressively worse so want to get it fixed eventually.

I'll try the lint thing, that's a good point.

EDIT: That appears to have worked! It didn't look like much but poked at the lint and stuff (didn't even have a toothpick, had to make one from a pencil lol) and blew it out with canned air and seems to be fine now. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #1606
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I as long as I don't touch it fortunately the default just-lie-flat position works so I don't need to go that far yet, but I assume it's going to get progressively worse so want to get it fixed eventually.

I'll try the lint thing, that's a good point.

EDIT: That appears to have worked! It didn't look like much but poked at the lint and stuff (didn't even have a toothpick, had to make one from a pencil lol) and blew it out with canned air and seems to be fine now. Thanks!
Had the same issue, and the same solution worked. Thanks!
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #1607
Jawbone Hill
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Glad it worked out! I'm thinking this is why Apple keeps pushing fewer and fewer ports - to save us all from the dangers of pocket lint!
Jawbone Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jawbone Hill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #1608
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawbone Hill View Post
You may want to check your lightning port for obstruction. I had this happen to my iPhone 5, and the culprit turned out to be about a year's worth of pocket lint, compressed due to the plugging and unplugging of the lightning cable. If there is something in the port, you may be able to get it out using the Nintendo 'blow in it' method. I ended up having to use a toothpick to loosen it, but if you go this route be gentle so that the port doesn't get damaged.
This was my problem. I took it in and felt a bit embarrassed about it, but the guy said it's better to bring it in and let them dig around in there. If you damage something it's on you, but if they damage something they'll replace it.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #1609
photon

Exp:

Cool I found out I can upgrade the SSD in my wife's Macbook Air with regular m.2 SATA type SSDs with an adapter! Adapter is like $10, and NewEgg has a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO for $169, so that's a pretty good upgrade from 120GB.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820147399
Old 12-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #1610
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
She then unwrapped a new iPhone 6 and handed it to me and took my old one away. Sure, it is still a new copy of a 2-year-old phone, but I am perfectly happy with my 6, and I certainly didn't expect a new one. I asked if it was a refurb, and she assured me that it wasn't.
Here I was all happy I got a new iPhone 5 for $99 because of a bulging battery. Although to be honest, it was the second replacement they have given me. The first one was free. So a hundred bucks for a four year old phone that still works just fine isn't half bad. Looking at Kijiji prices, I can probably make a bit of a profit if I sell it in the next couple of months.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #1611
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Cool I found out I can upgrade the SSD in my wife's Macbook Air with regular m.2 SATA type SSDs with an adapter! Adapter is like $10, and NewEgg has a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO for $169, so that's a pretty good upgrade from 120GB.

What year is her macbook? I need to do my wife's as well.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #1612
photon

Exp:

MacBookAir5,2 it's mid 2012. There's adapters for older models as well.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #1613
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Apparently the sale is over.

Good to know about the adapter though. I assumed it was just a drop-in replacement.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #1614
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dammit, my wife has a mid-2013...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #1615
photon

Exp:

You can get upgrade kits, not cheap though:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/...2013-2014-2015

Or eBay to find someone selling an OEM replacement for cheap (cheap doesn't seem to exist).

There must be adapter cards out there because there's eBay listings like this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/256GB-SSD-for...-/221867260365

Which seems to be a normal m.2 SSD taped to an adapter. I think the 2013+ MBAs use PCIe SSDs not SATA ones like mine.

This MIGHT be the adapter, but it seems tough to find the right adapter and right SSD.

http://www.microsatacables.com/ngff-...sd-m2-1022-mac

One reason I went for it was I saw a youtube video of a guy with my exact laptop, and the exact SSD I purchased, and he linked the exact adapter I needed which I ordered, plus the SSD was on a decent sale so I could probably get rid of it if I had to for no loss. Otherwise I might not have tried this whole DIY it way.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #1616
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody having some cold weather issues with their iPhones? My 5S is behaving pretty erratically when I have taken it out while waiting for the bus. Just shuts off, and when I try to turn it on it indicates the battery is dead. A while later, after the phone warms up, he phone reboots and works normally. I guess I am just wondering if this is a 5S problem, or does everybody experience this?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #1617
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I was out snowplowing on Friday and when I came in my 6s+ was at 3%. I plugged it in and it quickly returned to above 50%, where it should have been.

Cold messes with batteries. I don't think it's an Apple thing though.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #1618
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody having some cold weather issues with their iPhones? My 5S is behaving pretty erratically when I have taken it out while waiting for the bus. Just shuts off, and when I try to turn it on it indicates the battery is dead. A while later, after the phone warms up, he phone reboots and works normally. I guess I am just wondering if this is a 5S problem, or does everybody experience this?
Funny you mention this, my friend had this happen to them yesterday but as soon as they put the phone in the charger for a minute the phone turned on again with something like 60% battery life. I believe it was a iPhone 6.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #1619
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Funny you mention this, my friend had this happen to them yesterday but as soon as they put the phone in the charger for a minute the phone turned on again with something like 60% battery life. I believe it was a iPhone 6.
Happened to me while I was tracking a cab on New Years. Terribly inconvenient. I've owned multiple iPhones, 3G through 6 and have never had it shut off from the cold. Heat once, but never cold.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #1620
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of odd. I was using it to track a run with the GPS and it worked fine, It was only a few moments after I turned the screen on that it turned itself off as if it the battery was totally drained.

This is the first year I have seen this start to occur. I have been using it before to take pictures outside in the winter and no problems. Wonder if it's partly iOS related.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote