Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #241
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Q4 conference call was this afternoon. Mike Morhaime confirmed what was already painfully obvious, that the release window has shifted from Q1 to Q2. June 30th here we come!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #242
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #243
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4079872821

Quote:
We think you're going to love Diablo III when it's released, and speaking of release plans, you can seriously expect a launch-date announcement from us in the near future. See, I didn’t say “soon,” so I’m not taunting you. You’ll know as soon as I know for sure the exact date.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #244
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #245
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Ok, guys, this might seem strange, but can someone explain to me the hype behind D3? I understand the previous two are super popular, but I can't figure out why. I played D2 some, but never got into it, since I was way too busy playing Baldur's Gate around that time.

So what's the deal?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #246
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Ok, guys, this might seem strange, but can someone explain to me the hype behind D3? I understand the previous two are super popular, but I can't figure out why. I played D2 some, but never got into it, since I was way too busy playing Baldur's Gate around that time.

So what's the deal?
Some folks like different sorts of games. I'm not, for instance, a fan of any of the CoD/MW styles of games, and can't understand why they keep making more of them. If 1 and/or 2 wasn't your speed, you probably won't like 3. I liked 1 and 2 for a variety of reasons, all of which 3 looks to provide.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #247
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Some folks like different sorts of games. I'm not, for instance, a fan of any of the CoD/MW styles of games, and can't understand why they keep making more of them. If 1 and/or 2 wasn't your speed, you probably won't like 3. I liked 1 and 2 for a variety of reasons, all of which 3 looks to provide.
But there must be a reason why it's so hugely popular, that's what I'm getting at. I can see why CoD is so insanely popular, even if I might not like it myself.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #248
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

So what's the deal?
Not sure really. For me, it was the first PC game I really got into. Funnily enough my Grandma got it for a birthday present when I was really young (had she known the subject matter there is no way she would have got it for me). I just started playing and I never stopped. It completely engulfed my childhood and I wasn't really a gamer back then like I am now so I only played the one game.

It has a lot to do with Nostalgia, that's why I get pissed when something is changed in D3 to make it differentiate it from D2, ha.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #249
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But there must be a reason why it's so hugely popular, that's what I'm getting at. I can see why CoD is so insanely popular, even if I might not like it myself.
Essentially, they aren't that insanely popular. There's a big group of people that really like them, and never shut up about them, and play them forever. It's one of the last pillars of good, high-profile, PC exclusive titles, so PC gamers latch onto them like they're the greatest, most-anticipated releases in history. But sales-wise, they don't hit the numbers of the uber-popular titles. Take Starcraft II... with a decade of hype behind it, has cracked around five million in sales, lifetime. Successful, yes, but not enormous, especially given the hype and marketing behind the title.

Diablo III will be the same.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #250
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So what's the deal?
Diablo came out around the time the internet was just starting to become mainstream. Multiplayer gaming over the internet was in it's infancy and Diablo was the first graphical game that appealed to the RPG type audience that was supported over the internet - everything prior had been either text or pretty much turn based. That means you had a whole genre of gamers who were born into online gaming through Diablo.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #251
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:

So what's the deal?
Here is my perspective of the series...

D1 was all about the exploration of this spooky new world, both above and below ground. Puzzles to solve, quests to complete, and all the while gaining better and better equipment to move forward.

And then came the Butcher.

Scared the living crap out of me, and might well be the lynchpin as to the ultimate success of the Diablo franchise. I was totally hooked after encountering him.

D2 launched OK, but wasn't as sinister as D1. The expansion pack took everything to new heights though, albeit in a different direction. Gameplay was significantly enhanced by the sheer amount of different ways you could customize your character, collect items that could be combined, and the insanely huge amount of different variations of virtually every item in the game (found or crafted).

Personally I went almost solo (leveling was easier with more players) right up the the max level of 99. Extremely tough to do.

I built up a character that was a wrecking crane of magic find awesomeness!

But then came D2 version 1.10, which was a long awaited update.

Blizzard "balanced" the game, which was a nice way to say they F'd me out of three years of work on my character. What she could previously do solo, now was a suicide mission. Ditto my other NON magic find characters. Blizzard essentially made partying with other people the only way to play the game successfully. (at least that is what I ascertained)

Within a few months I was no longer playing it... and at that time, if you didn't log into your account within a certain time your account was deleted. I walked away from it all.

So now D3...

Unlike in D2 where the max level of the baddest boss is 85 (and you are potentially 99), YOU have a max level of 60, and in the last tier the bad guys are ALL at least 61... There is definitely a challenge leap there.

A downside at this point is that many of the intended features for launch (in the Beta) have been pulled back and/or dumbed down. But like D2, these items might very well find themselves coming into the first expansion pack, in a better configuration.

Visually it looks a bit too cartoonish for me at this point (but as I have yet to play the Beta, that is only my perspective from YouTube videos.)

Ultimately, the gameplay is to kill virtually everything you see, collect the loot, complete tasks, and try to find those rare brief moments when you can swig from your beer.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawnski For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #252
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

So what's the deal?
I liked Gauntlet when i was a kid, running around with your friends killing and collecting stuff, Diablo just made it so much better.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #253
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rumor right now is April 17th. Personally I wouldn't have believed it but if you have the annual pass log into your account and there is something new in there that will change your mind
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #254
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #255
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #256
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

??? Does that mean it's available or??
Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #257
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great. Now all I need is 30hr days and I'm set. Or a familiar.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #258
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
??? Does that mean it's available or??
The license is active but the download isn't available...and it won't show up until the official release date.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #259
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Patch 14 available around 10PM. Hardcore mode now unlocked!!

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Diablo III Beta Patch 14 – v. 0.8.0.8815
Released 3/8/12
General
  • Hardcore mode is now available, and can be unlocked by reaching level 10 with at least one character
  • Cast time to resurrect a fallen ally has been increased from 1 second to 3 seconds
  • Player created games now default to Invite Only. Check "Allow Quick Join" in the Social tab of the Options menu to allow your friends to join
  • Magic Find and Gold Find are now shared amongst party members. The average combined value of the entire party's Magic and Gold Find applies to all players regardless of location in the game world. The averaged values will not display in the UI
  • Skill UI
    • In Elective mode, skills can now be dragged and dropped from the skill interface into hot-key slots
    • Right-clicking a skill hot-key will now open the skill interface
  • Auction House
    • The Sell interface has been updated to better match the in-game inventory and stash
    • Combined the advanced and basic search features
    • The Active auctions tab now allows users to see all active auctions
    • Searches for recipes and tomes have been added
Classes
  • Barbarian
    • Barbarians now have innate 30% passive damage reduction versus all sources. This damage reduction is applied at the same time as all other damage reducing effects (such as Armor), but prior to shield block
    • Ground Stomp
      • Now destroys barrels
    • Leap Attack
      • Ability renamed to Leap
      • Weapon damage reduced from 125% to 85%
      • Now slows enemies in the landing zone by 60% for 3 seconds
  • Demon Hunter
    • Hungering Arrow
      • Rune of Puncturing Arrow pierce chance reduced from 55% to 50%
    • Impale
      • Rune of Impact stun chance reduced from 100% to 65%
    • Smoke Screen
      • Duration increased from 2 to 3 seconds.
      • Cost increased from 15 to 24 Discipline
  • Monk
    • Monks now have innate 30% passive damage reduction versus all sources. This damage reduction is applied at the same time as all other damage reducing effects (such as Armor), but prior to shield block
    • Breath of Heaven
      • Heal amount reduced
    • Crippling Wave
      • Damage increased from 100% to 110%
    • Deadly Reach
      • Damage increased from 100% to 110%
    • Exploding Palm
      • This skill has been redesigned.
      • No longer generates Spirit, now costs 40 Spirit
      • Now deals 220% weapon damage over 3 seconds
    • Fists of Thunder
      • Damage increased from 100% to110%
Crafting
  • Gold cost to craft items reduced
  • Cost to train Blacksmith doubled
  • More crafting materials are now required to craft items
  • Chance to salvage rare crafting material from blue Magic items reduced from 10% to 5%
Followers
  • Templar
    • Normal attack now deals 15% weapon damage
    • Intervene taunt reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds
Items
  • Several aspects of the game economy have been adjusted, including but not limited to:
    • Gold drops
    • Item sale values
    • Vendor costs
    • Repair costs
  • Rings and Amulets now become available at a higher level. As a result, these items will no longer drop in the in beta. Fear not – sparkly baubles await you in the retail version of the game.
Monsters
  • Mira Eamon now drops better loot.
  • Monster damage has been increased
Bug Fixes
For a full list of documented game and service bugs, please review the Known Issues sticky located in the Beta Bug Report forum.
  • Players are now able to leave the game if unexpectedly disconnected from Battle.net
  • Public Games can once again accommodate up to four players
  • Players can now queue for a Public Game involving any quest they’ve unlocked
  • Players should now properly be able to send and receive friend invites
  • Friends should no longer appear as [ ] in chat
Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #260
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Rumor right now is April 17th. Personally I wouldn't have believed it but if you have the annual pass log into your account and there is something new in there that will change your mind

Not a hope in hell that it will be out by then... (thanks for the updates though!)

They are still tinkering, and in some areas radically changing things. Not only that, they are still releasing beta keys. Even if this was the last batch of keys, think 30 days or so of final feedback, followed by 30-45 days of lockdown/pre-production and a further 30 days of marketing/production.

I think they will be lucky to get this out before the end of Q2.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote