Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2017, 12:15 AM   #321
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

considering Rocket League was free for PS+ subscribers 2 years ago $59.99 would be a total ripoff
Old 06-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #322
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Looks like Amazon E3 pricing is over.
Yeah serious thanks to whoever mentioned the deal a few days ago, was super happy I got AC: Origins at $49.99.

Noob question, as it's the first time I've ever ordered a game online. How long after release day would you say I'd receive it if I just did normal shipping? It said 4-8 days, but I just ask cuz I know people have mentioned before sometimes they receive games before the release date even occurs. That's gonna be a kick in the pants if I gotta wait over a wk after it releases to receive it, thinking I should upgrade it to express.

Last edited by Sainters7; 06-16-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #323
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah serious thanks to whoever mentioned the deal a few days ago, was super happy I got AC: Origins at $49.99.

Noob question, as it's the first time I've ever ordered a game online. How long after release day would you say I'd receive it if I just did normal shipping? It said 4-8 days, but I just ask cuz I know people have mentioned before sometimes they receive games before the release date even occurs. That's gonna be a kick in the pants if I gotta wait over a wk after it releases to receive it, thinking I should upgrade it to express.
$50 Arms just arrived over here.

I have Prime on amazon so I've been locked in for 2 or 1 day shipping for quite some time so I'm probably not the best to answer. I have such a backlog that I normally don't mind if the shipping is a bit slow. There are also conspiracy theories about how Amazon might be slow to ship to "encourage" you to pick up Prime. You will hear anecdotes where people get games early online and other times they are super late.

All that being said, if you are truly desperate you can always physically get it locally and then return the unopened online one in it's place when it arrives. Some people do suggest that this is a bit shady and may even be offside. There is also the rare instance where the SKU's are different between the stores as well.

EDIT: Or frankly, just consider getting Prime. I have gotten my money's worth and then some.

Last edited by chemgear; 06-16-2017 at 08:48 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #324
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks dude, appreciate the advice! I love the alternate plan haha, well played sir
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #325
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default E3 2017: The Thread

Well finally got around to catching up on all the E3 Media. Officially beyond excited for:

Days Gone
God of War
Spider Man
Detroit: Becoming Human
Super Mario Odyssey
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #326
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
considering Rocket League was free for PS+ subscribers 2 years ago $59.99 would be a total ripoff
I got it free 2 years ago and I still play it. Definitely was worth the PS+ yearly subscription cost on it's own.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #327
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I got it free 2 years ago and I still play it. Definitely was worth the PS+ yearly subscription cost on it's own.
It was certainly one of the better offerings...just saying a $59.99 price tag now is too high
Old 06-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #328
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got it free and I've probably spent 59.99 on DLC and crates at this point, haha. Worth it, I'm still playing. Probably a top 3 all-time game for me.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #329
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A few years ago, I had pre-ordered two games that were released one week apart and I ended up getting both of them of the same day. One was a day before its release date and the other was 6 days after.

Generally speaking, I've always used the free shipping option and found that most of the time the game is shipped either on its release date or the day after, arriving a day or two after that. I don't think I've ever had a game arrive more than a week after its release day.

Most of the time, if a game has a Tuesday release date, it's been in my hands before that weekend.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #330
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus, that digital only future.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/16/for...ace-at-launch/

According to the game’s store page (via MS Power User), you’ll need 100GB of free space at launch.

This makes it the largest Forza title ever at launch, and certainly among the biggest on Xbox One. Today, Gears of War 4 with all the updates is already close to 120GB, and Halo 5 is around 100GB, but again, that’s after months of patches.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #331
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
A few years ago, I had pre-ordered two games that were released one week apart and I ended up getting both of them of the same day. One was a day before its release date and the other was 6 days after.

Generally speaking, I've always used the free shipping option and found that most of the time the game is shipped either on its release date or the day after, arriving a day or two after that. I don't think I've ever had a game arrive more than a week after its release day.

Most of the time, if a game has a Tuesday release date, it's been in my hands before that weekend.
Awesome, thanks man! Yeah from what I had read in the past on here, seems most people seem to get it on the release day or the day after, sometimes even the day before release. But after ordering, it dawned on me that maybe you all were using Amazon Prime or something. But what you said works for me, I'll stick with the free shipping I originally selected. I'm cheap like that.

Can't wait to get it, this will make the RDR 2 delay much more bearable..
Old 06-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #332
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome, thanks man! Yeah from what I had read in the past on here, seems most people seem to get it on the release day or the day after, sometimes even the day before release. But after ordering, it dawned on me that maybe you all were using Amazon Prime or something. But what you said works for me, I'll stick with the free shipping I originally selected. I'm cheap like that.

Can't wait to get it, this will make the RDR 2 delay much more bearable..
It depends where you live too. I'm not a Prime member but living close to Richmond I've still received games the day they're released. But in some cases I've had to wait and even have had it shipped from Ontario which slowed it down even more. It seems to be hit or miss.

Last edited by Inferno; 06-16-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #333
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great news, especially because we live in the same area 😁
Old 06-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #334
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok ended up getting Zelda. Worked out good because even though I'm not a fan of these holidays I had my wife make my son think he bought the switch and he choose the game and bought a copy today at toysrus. Switch doesn't arrive until Tuesday so Prime 2 day failed. I ordered it Wednesday.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #335
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

saw some of the fifa 18 video and its... its remarkable how it looks like FIFA 14, 15, 16, 17. thanks to moddingway, i likely have zero intention to buy fifa 18 as I didnt buy 17. Moddingway updates the kits, players, and I can play it on my CPU so that firing is off and theres more transfers. why would I bother with 18? what a ####ing rip off ea is. im glad i can keep modding 16 and keep their filthy hands out of my wallet.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #336
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I hear the same arguments for NHL and Madden. It's almost like a monopoly on each franchise isn't good for competition or innovation.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #337
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should go on a 3 or 5 year cycle, you buy the main game, then every year in between you pay like $20 for roster updates. But customers keep buying the new one every year, so I guess they have no motivation to leave $60 on the table.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #338
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They should go on a 3 or 5 year cycle, you buy the main game, then every year in between you pay like $20 for roster updates. But customers keep buying the new one every year, so I guess they have no motivation to leave $60 on the table.
Yeah it would be interesting for Hockey at least because its one of the least sold how many copies they sell each year. A cycle would be a good idea especially since so many people seem to have a least one copy within the last 3 years, if they could just "upgrade" and be current to play they could make a bunch more money on DLC like HUT.

I assume Soccer just sells regardless along with Football.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #339
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

No matter how you slice it EA has been bad for gamers. I can't wait for the day the NFL lets 2K or someone else start making NFL games again.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #340
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If NBA 2k is any indication they would blow the doors off EA with licensing from the other sports