Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #241
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
Do you know what it costs TELUS to roll a truck?? If a sub wants a new modem juat cause.. its not going to happen. If they are having issues or troubles.. then yes, a truck gets rolled.

You think my posts are annoying to read? Yours are just as bad.. all your info is based on here say from other people and BS you pull outta your rear end. Im not sure what they are teaching you guys in the tower but its not what happens in the field. Why dont you hop in a truck and find out for your self what goes on outside of your cube.
I know don't know the exact cost, but I do have an idea. Unlike a technician in the field I speak with almost every single department every day. On a daily basis I'm in contact with front line sales, techs on the field, dispatch, tier 2 tech support, and each one of those departments managers on occasion.

If a customer wants a new modem just because, and they are having some issues like the poster here mentioned... it gets done. Period. Infact, if a customer would call in and be willing to name drop the competition to get a new modem.. guess what? Yeah you got it a truck gets rolled.

TELUS wants everyone who has Optik, ideally, to have the actiontec. I'm sure you know why too, being a field tech.

You're narrow view of the business is quite clear when I read your posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Probably. TELUS replaced my old 2Wire modem with a D-Link G3810 when I switched from the old Minerva Telus TV platform to the current MediaRoom system. I quickly found that my wired devices could no longer talk to the wireless ones. I did some digging around in some forums and found that quite a few people have the same issue with the D-Link router.
The actiontec doesn't have this issue

Last edited by theonlywhiteout; 02-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #242
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Do you know what encryption algorithm you are using? TKIP or AES?

Change it to AES only and see if that helps.
It's AES encryption that I have it set at. It's not a big deal now because I cobbled together a solution. I grabbed a wireless USB adaptor from a friend and plugged that into my computer. My PC now has a wired and wireless connection to the router. I have it on a wired network to my PS3, and the wireless adapter allows me to use the iTunes remote, and stream audio and video to my iDevices.

Last edited by Roast Beef; 02-13-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #243
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
So you HAVE to use their router? You can't just put their router into modem mode or something?

That's a deal breaker if their routers suck.
You can put another router behind the actiontec.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #244
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So can you turn off the NAT and wireless on the actiontec? or is the only way to have them with double NAT?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #245
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't put a router behind the actintec. the whole point of the actiontec is to maintain QoS for best tv viewing experience
Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #246
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have telus so explain it to me, is your OptikTV box plugged into your actiontec router?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #247
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

the phone cable goes from the jack to to the actiontec router. this is a router/switch/modem in one. the tv signal is then delivered to your tv either thru a coax cable or cat 5 cable into the 430 or 330 tv boxes. the tv boxes can be hooked up with.... component or hdmi. i havent checked the back of mine im sure you can do composite too.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #248
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

No idea what you just said but I assume that is a yes, your TV connects to your actiontec router. If that assumption is correct, how could a second router being connected to your actiontec router influence your TV at all? It can do it's QoS all night long and nothing will change other than the rest of your traffic will be funneled through another router rather than directly to the actiontec to a number of networked devices.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #249
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I believe its something to do with the fact that other traffic isn't subject to the QOS when the actiontec is behind everything. If it goes thru the actiontec first the QOS manages all network data. Otherwise why have QOS?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #250
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

As mentioned here, the suggestion was to put another router behind the actiontec, not the other way around as you are explaining it. I assume that is why your response is so confusing to me.

Quote:
Now that we have that straightened out, can you disable NAT and wireless on the Actiontec or is it pretty much non-configurable?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #251
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

ah ok yeah when i read behind.. i visually in my mind had it.. ah nm. lol. you can disable wireless on the actiontec, nat i have no idea. i cant seem to find anything like that in the setup
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #252
Sparks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here's some info on the Actiontec router/modem if anyone is interested: http://www.actiontec.com/products/da..._datasheet.pdf

As far as I know, it's the only modem being supplied to Optik TV customers at the moment - no more D-Links, etc.

Edit: Also, here's the PVR: http://www.homepna.org/products/memb..._datasheet.pdf
Mine is 320 GB which I think is what comes standard. The other non-PVR boxes are CIS330s. My modem is plugged directly into the PVR via coaxial cable but I'm told ethernet cable is preferred.

Last edited by Sparks; 02-13-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #253
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

The PVR you posted I notice doesn't have an e-sata port on it. Can you plug an external HD into the usb port to expand the capacity?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #254
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

from a more techy telus person than me, the pvr isn't expandable. the usb drive is currently non functional but could be powered up in future updates.

the telus PVR does 110~ hours of HD recording tho, thanks to the encoding. space isn't an issue so far for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to theonlywhiteout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #255
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So basically, if I still have a D-Link Router, bitch and moan to a CSR until they come and drop off an Actiontec one?
Yorkshire Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #256
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone do a favor for me? Check your guide, in the HD channels. . . FOX HD W, channel 606, does it display as FOX HD E in the station logo? Fox East is 627, and 606 is east, but my guide suggests there are 2 East feeds. I'm wondering if it's my box or Telus' guide?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #257
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Flame View Post
So basically, if I still have a D-Link Router, bitch and moan to a CSR until they come and drop off an Actiontec one?
Do you still have the card of the installer? Perhaps call them to swing by and drop one off.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #258
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
. i havent checked the back of mine im sure you can do composite too.
Component, HDMI, S-video, coax or composite are the connections on the rear to feed the TV.

Component is recommended for HD.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #259
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Component? Component is limited to 720p and is analog, HDMI is digital, will support 1080p at higher refresh rates, and is the only way of carrying high def audio (though I doubt the PVR supports any high def audio, I don't think they are transmitted even).
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #260
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Flame View Post
CSR's likely wont do it for you, but if you speak to retention they can and often will. You need a legitimate reason of course. If you want it just for the sake of wanting it, even LNR (retention) will likely say no. But if you have legit networking beefs and CSR wont help LNR will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Component? Component is limited to 720p and is analog, HDMI is digital, will support 1080p at higher refresh rates, and is the only way of carrying high def audio (though I doubt the PVR supports any high def audio, I don't think they are transmitted even).
It works fine for 99% of people but component is "recomended". When I called shaw and complained about picture problems they told me to switch from HDMI to component, due to hand shaking issues. I've used HDMI for optik on a 19 meg profile and have had zero issues, as do all my friends