Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #121
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I'd check out the Fiio E18. Portable dac+amp, and doubles as an extra battery for your phone.
http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/inde...nuID=105026002
[/URL]
Isn't the E18 moreso for Android devices? How does it stack up to the E17? The latter looks like a better option for laptop devices.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #122
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
i got a pair of Bose head phones for Chrismtmas. They are the on ear headphones and they are uncomftorable if you wear them for more than 30 minutes because they sort of squish your ears. Anybody else have this problem. The sound quality is great in them though. I believe they are from costco
Supra-aural headphones can take some getting used to, for sure. I've apparently got a larger-than-average melon so the clamping power of most bands I've tried makes very few of them comfortable. Give them a few tries and if they don't start feeling any better just exchange them for something else. Some people (myself included) just find that style uncomfortable.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #123
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I can't do on ear headphones either.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #124
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Isn't the E18 moreso for Android devices? How does it stack up to the E17? The latter looks like a better option for laptop devices.
It supports USB audio decoding on certain Android devices, but otherwise I don't see why the E17 would be superior to it for laptops, since they both support USB audio decoding from computers.

One thing to note though is that while the E17 is a successor to the tried & true E7, the E18 is a 1st gen device built from the ground up (new pots, DAC, etc). The folks at head-fi have had mixed reviews for the new DAC. Some think it's an improvement, others prefer the sound of the E17. (Here's a pretty good review).

If you won't use the portable battery or Android USB audio out functions, you can't really go wrong with the E17.

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #125
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Any thoughts on these headphones? Are they worth it or can I find a cheaper better pair? They're sold out online but I can still get them in store with a $50 gift card. I'm looking for something that's good for listening to music at work and maybe late night gaming at home. I listen to mostly metal but not death metal.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...bd79ed91faen02
Definitely a good price but if you don't need ANC I'd still go with the ATH-M50s myself, which can be had at the same price. ANC is great for commuting on public transit and flying but I never use it anywhere else. At work or at home I just need good isolation and very low sound leakage, both of which are great on the M50s.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #126
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How do the ATH-M50's compare to these Sennheisers? Seems like a pretty decent set with solid reviews and on sale for a good price.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...11c28877fden02
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 AM   #127
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
How do the ATH-M50's compare to these Sennheisers? Seems like a pretty decent set with solid reviews and on sale for a good price.

Two different headphones really. ATH-M50's are always popular because of the quality in noise isolation/sound combined with price whereas the HD518 are a bargain here as an solid entry model to open ear headphones at the audiophile level. The latter will obviously leak sound and not isolate anything, so while it isn't as bad as the 598's, I don't know how an officespace would appreciate it.

Another thing to keep in mind is the HD518 have a removable cord that comes with the 1/4" jack at the end with the 1/8" adapter. Not ideal for anything with regular auxiliary outputs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #128
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post

Didn't you already order the M50s?

The 518s at $80 are a steal. Like Anduril said - keep in mind that open backs will leak sound to think about how that will fit into your use case.

Also, a lot of Sennheisers typically have a sound signature described as "veiled" or "suppressed treble". Many people, at first listen, aren't impressed. As you can see here though, after break-in and a period of ear adjustment, most people fall in love.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #129
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Visions has the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet IEMs (with ControlTalk) on sale for $98 today (down from $399). Not to overstate it, but this is the best deal you have ever seen on IEMs.

Still breaking mine in but they're outstanding so far. I've got a pair of Monster Turbine Pro Coppers as well but they're out on warranty so I can't do a side-by-side. First impressions are that the Trumpets really nail the vocals but don't have the silky smooth treble of the Coppers. The Trumpets are a tad bright still but have already improved with about 20 hours of break-in - I'll be interested to see how they sound after 50 or so.

Basically if you ever use headphones and don't refuse to use IEMs you should stop what you're doing right now and pick a pair up.
Back on sale today. Thinking of picking them up.

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...sku=MHMLDTIECT
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #130
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm having trouble finding tips that don't hurt my ears with the set of monsters I bought. Wish they had plain foam tips. Small complaint though.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #131
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
I'm having trouble finding tips that don't hurt my ears with the set of monsters I bought. Wish they had plain foam tips. Small complaint though.
They should have come with 15 sets of tips and 5 of those should have been foam tips. (The white foam tips are perfect for my ears)

Old 01-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #132
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdso View Post
Back on sale today. Thinking of picking them up.

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...sku=MHMLDTIECT
Stop thinking and go get them!

I've got probably about 50 hours on mine and these are even better than the MTPCs. The treble on these is even smoother than the coppers, and the Trumpets have even deeper bass extension and texture. Definitely a steal at under $100.

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #133
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think part of my problem is that I tried to big of a set and that left my ears hurting regardless of what I used. Using the black set that are slightly bigger than the whites. The foam works different that i'm used to, which is the foam set that came with my UE 600's.

Well, now I want the miles davis ones, and they look cooler too! lol
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #134
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys, I just blew $300 on headphones. LOL

IEM's are gross to resell, so at least I won't be cluttering up the buy/sell with headphone ads in the unlikely event that I don't like them.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #135
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Stop thinking and go get them!

I've got probably about 50 hours on mine and these are even better than the MTPCs. The treble on these is even smoother than the coppers, and the Trumpets have even deeper bass extension and texture. Definitely a steal at under $100.
Ok, ok. Caved and bought a pair. Still a bunch left at the NE Visions. Looking forward to trying them out.
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #136
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone have any experience with either of these two Sennheiser wireless On-Ear headphones?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...c0cfdbfa7aen02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...85f280a343en02

I'm thinking of picking up on pair, probably the first pair. The recharging just seems a lot easier. I just use them at work so really don't need the greatest pair, but being able to just put them on a cradle to charge seems so much easier than messing with rechargeable AAs

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #137
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are these?

Monster NCredible NTune On-Ear Headphones

On sale for $39, seems like a great deal. I have been looking at several cheaper sets of general use over the ear head phones over the past bit and the lack of a microphone for my phone always seems to be the thing holding me back.

My use is mostly on transit for podcasts and video.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:10 AM   #138
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
How are these?

On sale for $39, seems like a great deal. I have been looking at several cheaper sets of general use over the ear head phones over the past bit and the lack of a microphone for my phone always seems to be the thing holding me back.

Decent sound quality for the price but I would avoid. They feel absolutely fragile and flimsy and wouldn't trust it to last longer than a month outside the house.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #139
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
How are these?

I opened up the link, saw Nick Cannon in his blue steel pose and clicked close. They might be good headphones but I hate that type of marketing gimmick, total turn off
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #140
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How are these?

I honestly don't think they'd sound very good without a really expensive Monster cable to go along with it
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote