Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #1081
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post
to be brutally honest, I'd much prefer see them totally revamp the saddledome and not build a new building. I know I'm in the infinitely small minority, but the dome is (in my mind) iconic, and instantly recognisable. Show photos of consol energy centre, Rogers arena, MTS centre, etc., and its likely people get them confused/have no idea which one is which. But show them a photo of the dome, and bam, Calgary.

I'm not suggesting a new coat of paint, I mean a tear-down to the concrete, and fresh install. Perhaps you engineer a way to raise/reinforce the roof to allow more concerts, and while at it, widen the concourse. You properly cover the bare concrete with more pleasant décor, and re-do most of the seats.

The saddledome is a recognisable landmark. It serves its primary function, to provide a large event space/arena for sports/concerts, quite admirably. For simply going to your seat and watching the game, it is perfect. But since modern business culture revolves solely around maximizing profit, it will be considered woefully inadequate.

Just my 2 cents.
Might be easier to make an modern replica in the new location instead since it serves the same purpose.

I'm hoping the new arena is iconic in it's own way, and looks like a world class venue for a world class city. If it's built in the west village, it'll definitely stand out in front of the skyline just like the saddledome currently does.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #1082
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What if the new building still has a saddle shaped dome but inside it is properly equipped to match the needs of concerts that the current dome is preventing? Build it somewhere else it can still be a landmark and part of the skyline yada yada yada.
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #1083
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad
I, personally, think that while the Saddledome should be torn right down, I also have no problem with the new stadium being a recognisable landmark like this one has been. People hate on the western designs constantly, but it's part if Calgary's identity, it's never going to go away no matter how cheesy or fake you think it is.

Let the arena be shaped like a horse head for all I care. Just make it more than some cookie cutter box.
Why does a recognizable landmark design have to be western-themed? Because its in Calgary, and its an identity that's never going to go away?

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion... but I think you're completely out to lunch here.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #1084
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
to be brutally honest, I'd much prefer see them totally revamp the saddledome and not build a new building. I know I'm in the infinitely small minority, but the dome is (in my mind) iconic, and instantly recognisable. Show photos of consol energy centre, Rogers arena, MTS centre, etc., and its likely people get them confused/have no idea which one is which. But show them a photo of the dome, and bam, Calgary.

I'm not suggesting a new coat of paint, I mean a tear-down to the concrete, and fresh install. Perhaps you engineer a way to raise/reinforce the roof to allow more concerts, and while at it, widen the concourse. You properly cover the bare concrete with more pleasant décor, and re-do most of the seats.

The saddledome is a recognisable landmark. It serves its primary function, to provide a large event space/arena for sports/concerts, quite admirably. For simply going to your seat and watching the game, it is perfect. But since modern business culture revolves solely around maximizing profit, it will be considered woefully inadequate.

Just my 2 cents.
Won't happen though because one of the biggest reasons the Flames need a new arena and the city needs one is the structure of the Saddledome roof is now making the city lose out on numerous concerts and shows that cannot be set up n the dome because the roof won't support it. That is way too much revenue walking out the door and up the highway to Edmonton.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #1085
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Why does a recognizable landmark design have to be western-themed? Because its in Calgary, and its an identity that's never going to go away?

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion... but I think you're completely out to lunch here.

I agree with you, but I wonder, those who are afraid the rink will be "western" themed, what exactly is the concern. The Flames will be constructing a modern new facility, exactly what could be done to make it western themed? Not like they are going to build it out of logs and only allow horse and carriages to park on the lot.

Other than that, the most they can likely do is give it a western name and try to pretend that something unique about the architecture is "symbolically" representing something western.

Let's not kid ourselves, that's all that went on with the dome. Without the name "Saddledome" no one looks at that rink and goes, oh " very western". It doesn't look western at all, and no one I've ever talked to from out of town goes what a western design. They think the roof looks different and when you say it represents a saddle, they go oh yah I see that I guess. But back when that rink was first built, it's not like it didn't look modern and wasn't tacky at all.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #1086
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Won't happen though because one of the biggest reasons the Flames need a new arena and the city needs one is the structure of the Saddledome roof is now making the city lose out on numerous concerts and shows that cannot be set up n the dome because the roof won't support it. That is way too much revenue walking out the door and up the highway to Edmonton.
How many concerts have gone to Rexall that haven't played the Saddledome this year?
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #1087
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
and where would the flames play for 2-3 years while this huge overhaul is happening ?
Well obviously I can't answer that question. But maybe it's possible to do things Madison Square Garden style where the construction occurs in the off-season (sucks though if the flames make the playoffs). Yeah, there are Stampede concerts that would have to be moved/not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
I, personally, think that while the Saddledome should be torn right down, I also have no problem with the new stadium being a recognisable landmark like this one has been. People hate on the western designs constantly, but it's part if Calgary's identity, it's never going to go away no matter how cheesy or fake you think it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Might be easier to make an modern replica in the new location instead since it serves the same purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
What if the new building still has a saddle shaped dome but inside it is properly equipped to match the needs of concerts that the current dome is preventing? Build it somewhere else it can still be a landmark and part of the skyline yada yada yada.
Quote:
I'd be all for building a 21st century saddledome with all the bells and whistles almost like the Yankee Stadium replacement. I dunno, maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I feel as though we have our own Montreal Forum, or Maple Leaf Gardens, and we're just sitting here rushing it out to the slaughter.

But if they're truly adamant on replacing the stadium and going with something completely different, this is hands down my choice.

HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #1088
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be all for building a 21st century saddledome with all the bells and whistles almost like the Yankee Stadium replacement. I dunno, maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I feel as though we have our own Montreal Forum, or Maple Leaf Gardens, and we're just sitting here rushing it out to the slaughter.

Haha, you're going to use MLG and the Montreal forum as examples, eh? You mean two arenas that became outdated and outgrown by the teams and cities, so they built new arenas? aka exactly what's about to happen in Calgary with a new arena?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #1089
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

I think you misunderstood my point a little bit. It certainly doesn't HAVE to be western themed, I simply take issue with people who hate on our western culture in a way that attempts to negate it.

By all means, make it a landmark that has zero western theme at all. I just want it to be unique and architecturally interesting instead of another bland arena.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #1090
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Guys don't worry. I'm sure when this arena gets built, it'll be better than Edmonton's new arena. How do I know this you ask? It'll probably get done 35 years after the Oilers have moved into their place. By that time, we're guaranteed to be more state of the art than them.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #1091
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think many people are looking for a contemporary landmark - something that is of its time, not a theme park like replica of some bygone era - i.e. "stampitecture" Let's remember the saddledome was not intentionally shaped to resemble a saddle - it was contemporary for its time.

Edmonton is to be commended for their bold and modern design. It's a wonderful design.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #1092
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Haha, you're going to use MLG and the Montreal forum as examples, eh? You mean two arenas that became outdated and outgrown by the teams and cities, so they built new arenas? aka exactly what's about to happen in Calgary with a new arena?
What I'm saying is that MLG and the forum are former palaces of hockey. Both of which have been replaced with cookie-cutter arenas with zero character.

Let's not do the exact same thing. I'm a fan of the term "home-field advantage" and the uniqueness it brings to sport. Example: The Green Monster at Fenway (before power hitters made it look like a small picket fence). I think the dome is a unique building in it's own intimate way. I don't know if any of you have been to the Palladium/Scotiabank Place/Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa, but you feel (even on sold-out nights) that you're in this big open space of nothingness with a sheet of ice in the middle. The same could be said for a lot of cookie-cutter buildings. I for one, don't want to see that.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #1093
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
I think you misunderstood my point a little bit. It certainly doesn't HAVE to be western themed, I simply take issue with people who hate on our western culture in a way that attempts to negate it.

By all means, make it a landmark that has zero western theme at all. I just want it to be unique and architecturally interesting instead of another bland arena.
Last time we had any updates on actual arena design they were mentioning Minnesota and Columbus as arenas they would be drawing inspiration from.

Neither arena is very exciting, groundbreaking or architecturally unique, unfortunately.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #1094
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I think many people are looking for a contemporary landmark - something that is of its time, not a theme park like replica of some bygone era - i.e. "stampitecture" Let's remember the saddledome was not intentionally shaped to resemble a saddle - it was contemporary for its time.

Edmonton is to be commended for their bold and modern design. It's a wonderful design.
Definitely a contemporary design on the outside, but lacks substance on the inside. But definitely it stands out nicely in their "downtown". I just don't understand what the significance of the design is. I don't see how it ties into the city, because of all the words to describe Edmonton, I don't think contemporary fits.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #1095
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Saddledome- preserve this icon by keeping the exterior facade and converting the interior into a multipurpose bar/theatre/entertainment centre much like what was done to the Montreal forum.

new Arena: doesn't matter if it looks western I just want a world class facility with a football stadium attached
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 1stLand For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #1096
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
What I'm saying is that MLG and the forum are former palaces of hockey. Both of which have been replaced with cookie-cutter arenas with zero character.

Let's not do the exact same thing. I'm a fan of the term "home-field advantage" and the uniqueness it brings to sport. Example: The Green Monster at Fenway (before power hitters made it look like a small picket fence). I think the dome is a unique building in it's own intimate way. I don't know if any of you have been to the Palladium/Scotiabank Place/Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa, but you feel (even on sold-out nights) that you're in this big open space of nothingness with a sheet of ice in the middle. The same could be said for a lot of cookie-cutter buildings. I for one, don't want to see that.

Oh okay, I misinterpreted your point. The problem for a lot of these places is that old arenas/stadiums tend to have flaws for current day use, and it eventually becomes impossible to retrofit/renovate to keep up.

The forum and MLG both eventually hit a point where having two of the smallest capacities in the league for the two largest hockey markets, and aging, dumpy arenas in two world class cities wasn't acceptable any longer, so they had to build new.

Calgary is at that point, not so much because of the age but because of a change in music. When the Dome was built, there were certainly large stage set ups, but nothing that couldn't be set up in the Dome. In the last decade, the music industry has lost lots of money on selling albums/songs, and have focused their energy on live shows, and giving the customer all they can for their ticket.

That meant huge, sensory overload style stage setups, that no longer just provide a backdrop for the artist, they now transform arenas into that artists vision. Just look at the volume of artists Calgary misses, who play Edmonton. Pink, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake and JayZ, Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift, the list goes on. As a world class city, we have to keep up with the Jones's, and missing a good portion of major pop/rock acts makes us look pretty bushleague.

So unfortunately, even though the capacity at the Dome is fine, it has a major flaw that can't be overlooked, and because of that and other reasons, we will be getting a new arena instead of renovating the Dome.

My only hope is that they create something special, something that really stands out in a good way.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #1097
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusebox View Post
How many concerts have gone to Rexall that haven't played the Saddledome this year?
I don't know the exact answer to that and I'm not going to look it up. I do know in the past 5 years we started to miss out on numerous shows that either go only to Edmonton, or skip AB all together because the Dome can't accommodate the production directly associated with roof design.

As of right now, there are 4 major (non country) music acts scheduled to come through AB between now and June (that's what's scheduled now, I'm sure more to come. 9 inch nails, Justin Timberlake, Pink and Cher.

9 inch nails and Cher are each doing a show in both Calgary and Edmonton.

Timberlake is doing two shows in Edmonton, and Pink one, no Calgary dates.

Not to get on my Calgary high horse, but all things equal, no pop artist is skipping Calgary for Edmonton. For sure we get at least one of those JT shows and likely Pink comes here over Edmonton or at least adds a show. Small sample size, but shows an example of what keeps happening for the past few years. As more artists add shows between now and then, you will see Calgary continue to miss out on a healthy number of them due to the building.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #1098
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know the exact answer to that and I'm not going to look it up. I do know in the past 5 years we started to miss out on numerous shows that either go only to Edmonton, or skip AB all together because the Dome can't accommodate the production directly associated with roof design.

As of right now, there are 4 major (non country) music acts scheduled to come through AB between now and June (that's what's scheduled now, I'm sure more to come. 9 inch nails, Justin Timberlake, Pink and Cher.

9 inch nails and Cher are each doing a show in both Calgary and Edmonton.

Timberlake is doing two shows in Edmonton, and Pink one, no Calgary dates.

Not to get on my Calgary high horse, but all things equal, no pop artist is skipping Calgary for Edmonton. For sure we get at least one of those JT shows and likely Pink comes here over Edmonton or at least adds a show. Small sample size, but shows an example of what keeps happening for the past few years. As more artists add shows between now and then, you will see Calgary continue to miss out on a healthy number of them due to the building.
I've been following it over the last 5 years or so, because it bothers me a bit, and it seems to be about 5 or 6 per year. Which may not seem like a lot, but when you consider how few concerts Albert gets to begin with, it's pretty annoying, but more just embarrassing considering how awesome our city is, and how crappy Edmonton is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #1099
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You know I'll take an arena that looks what you guys are calling "bland" from the outside. What's with this expectation that they recreate the Eiffel Tower here? For that 2 second shot on CBC of the arena before puck drop? The event experience is what matters.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #1100
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Saddledome- preserve this icon by keeping the exterior facade and converting the interior into a multipurpose bar/theatre/entertainment centre much like what was done to the Montreal forum.

new Arena: doesn't matter if it looks western I just want a world class facility with a football stadium attached
Doesn't the Stampede own the building? If so, I wonder if there is a place for the saddledome to continue to exist as an arena for agricultural purposes. Or if it can be saved/used for other recreational purposes (i.e. olympic bids/multi-purpose stadia)? I don't know enough about dimensions/requirements and what-not, but maybe it can be better suited as a permanent fixture for major curling? Or heck even a swimming pool or velo track? All I'm saying is maybe there is a place for it to continue being the saddledome, just in a different capacity (both purpose and seating).

Any way to stop it from becoming a grocery store like MLG