Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2024, 10:42 AM   #2961
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm at the point with the arena now that I'm just content it's no longer being discussed and that's it finally getting built. It's unfortunate we waited years as costs escalated on its price tag, but having to debate it for several more years is the lesser option for me at this point. Not a huge fan of the financing of it (similar with most people), but life moves on and so should this project.

Like Slava said, I hope its construction goes excellent, the building and design are successful, and we get the best arena in the NHL for years to come.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 11:26 AM   #2962
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm at the point with the arena now that I'm just content it's no longer being discussed and that's it finally getting built. It's unfortunate we waited years as costs escalated on its price tag, but having to debate it for several more years is the lesser option for me at this point. Not a huge fan of the financing of it (similar with most people), but life moves on and so should this project.

Like Slava said, I hope its construction goes excellent, the building and design are successful, and we get the best arena in the NHL for years to come.
Why do you feel the need to subsidize a billionaire and millionaire players who get paid to play a child's game?

Why should we, as taxpayers, pay millions to line Murray Edwards COFFERS?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 11:35 AM   #2963
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Why do you feel the need to subsidize a billionaire and millionaire players who get paid to play a child's game?

Why should we, as taxpayers, pay millions to line Murray Edwards COFFERS?
We shouldn't; but I clearly said I'm tired and at the point now where I just want this debate done and the arena built. There's nothing I can personally do about how it's funded, so now I just wish it the best success in the world. It's happening, whether you like it or not.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:36 AM   #2964
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
We shouldn't; but I clearly said I'm tired and at the point now where I just want this debate done and the arena built. There's nothing I can personally do about how it's funded, so now I just wish it the best success in the world. It's happening, whether you like it or not.
I'm kidding. I hate that argument, was trying to be that guy with that annoying argument.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 11:38 AM   #2965
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the arena deal but I'm not going to lay it at the feet of any one politician because pretty much all of them were going to do it

Hell, the vote was unanimous. And I don't believe the result would have been much different with a different council
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 01:49 PM   #2966
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I hate the arena deal but I'm not going to lay it at the feet of any one politician because pretty much all of them were going to do it

Hell, the vote was unanimous. And I don't believe the result would have been much different with a different council
I feel like they deserve to have their feet held to the fire a bit for how it all went down even if it was unanimous.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 01:56 PM   #2967
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like council negotiated the deal. They were presented the terms of the deal negotiated by city staff and told, take it or roll the dice and see what deal #3 looks like, if you even get a chance at that.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:43 PM   #2968
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
It's not like council negotiated the deal. They were presented the terms of the deal negotiated by city staff and told, take it or roll the dice and see what deal #3 looks like, if you even get a chance at that.
I wish our teams on the ice won as much as Murray Edwards does.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:42 PM   #2969
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I wish our teams on the ice won as much as Murray Edwards does.
If they started every game refusing to step on the ice unless the other team gave them at least 1 point, they would be just as successful.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:59 PM   #2970
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
"Things get more expensive in Calgary, but somehow, in the face of this, providing services should get cheaper!"

I hope this was posted facetiously coming from a poster with the name "MoneyGuy"
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 04:00 PM   #2971
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
*raises hand* I think the UCP/TBA contingent are completely devoid of any intelligence whatsoever, and I think that Gondek has been a regrettable choice and I fully have buyer's remorse on voting for her. Can I hold both of those positions and not disrupt the fabric of time and space?

These idiots and lunatics are what they are, but they just said out loud what a lot of people were already thinking. I just hope Gondek is smart enough not to run again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
+1. I think it's possible to hold a view that specific politicians on both side of the political spectrum are terrible.

Personally, I'm hoping we get someone more pragmatic/less dogmatic next time for the mayor's race. Last time it felt like Gondek vs Farkas were two sides of the same coin. I voted "lesser of the two evils" which I now regret.

Maybe Davidson will run again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I'm disappointed in Gondek though she is roughly what I expected. I don't really have remorse though as I still think the alternatives would have been worse.

I particularly wonder where the rezoning plan would be right now under Davison or Farkas. I have a decent understanding of how council and administration actually work, but I'm not sure how differently senior administrators may have read the tea leaves [in terms of how strongly to push the rezoning plan] with a different mayor and/or composition of council.
+juan for "I don't have remorse, I still think the alternatives would have been worse". Much worse. Davison is an empty suit and Farkas was a Manning Centre boob. I think Gondek has made regrettable choices, but either way this council was going to be inheriting a #### sandwich: that's precisely why so many incumbents bailed.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:29 PM   #2972
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I feel like they deserve to have their feet held to the fire a bit for how it all went down even if it was unanimous.
Oh I don't disagree, but I meant from the perspective of "I hate x politician because of it!" When all of them were going to do the exact same thing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:10 PM   #2973
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The mayor got quite the reception at the Flames game the other night. I just watched it on the news. Yikes.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:24 PM   #2974
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean it was a terrible idea and everyone and their dog knew she’d get boo'd.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:36 PM   #2975
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they think she's the Commissioner or something?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:52 PM   #2976
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s terrible about it is that she’s there because of South Asian heritage night and there for the group being honoured. It’s not a political rally, and she’s not there to campaign. She’s there for her heritage and it’s pretty disrespectful to boo someone in that light.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:01 PM   #2977
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I mean it was a terrible idea and everyone and their dog knew she’d get boo'd.
I don’t get this at all. I had no idea she’d get boo’d. She hasn’t been wonderful but there is zero reason to boo her.

It was an embarrassment by the city

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 07:03 PM   #2978
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I don’t get this at all. I had no idea she’d get boo’d. She hasn’t been wonderful but there is zero reason to boo her.

It was an embarrassment by the city
Because people have made identity politics their whole identity. And there are a #### ton of them in Alberta.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:04 PM   #2979
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
With all the media around the recall and the very low approval rating there wasn’t much doubt. The wife and I were standing on the concourse before the game and ran into some friends and they mentioned she was part of the puck drop and the first thing I thought of was “yikes, she is going to get boo’d badly”. It was real loud in our section.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:06 PM   #2980
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
What’s terrible about it is that she’s there because of South Asian heritage night and there for the group being honoured. It’s not a political rally, and she’s not there to campaign. She’s there for her heritage and it’s pretty disrespectful to boo someone in that light.
Even if you think she's not doing a good job, that's downright disrespectful even if wasn't a ethnic theme night. Don't have to cheer, but it's not like she has done something unlawful or illegal. People that boo'd her are wild.

Now if it was Chu? Boo the #### outta him. The recall petition should be getting done for his pedo-ass.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote