Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #41
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had to use both Bell and Shaw's tech support, while neither is perfect, Shaw's tech support was heads and tails better than Bell's.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #42
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 things that bug me about Bell.

1) Ordering pay per view if you don't have a land line phone. You can't do it through the PVR and need to call in like it is 1995. It wouldn't be that bad, except the phone system is near unusable. I once sat for 2 hours trying to order a pay per view.

2) Needing to pay whenever you need someone to come to your house to install or fix anything. Shaw has never charged me for anything I have asked from them, including running new coax for my TV.

Bell is a bit cheaper though, or was about 4 years ago when my Mom started with them. Including the extra fees for the additional box it was about $4 a month less than Shaw to get the same channels, although you did get more channels that you don't specifically want because their bundling system is restrictive.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #43
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

1) Ordering pay per view if you don't have a land line phone. You can't do it through the PVR and need to call in like it is 1995. It wouldn't be that bad, except the phone system is near unusable. I once sat for 2 hours trying to order a pay per view.

2) Needing to pay whenever you need someone to come to your house to install or fix anything. Shaw has never charged me for anything I have asked from them, including running new coax for my TV.

Bell is a bit cheaper though, or was about 4 years ago when my Mom started with them. Including the extra fees for the additional box it was about $4 a month less than Shaw to get the same channels, although you did get more channels that you don't specifically want because their bundling system is restrictive.
1. FYI, you can order ppv online. takes 2 mins.
2. Never had to ever pay anything when i had to have a system reinstalled. In fact, they gave me 1yr free hd and a pvr when they did it the last time.

I've been with Bell for almost 10yrs and have never had a problem with their csr and if i need tech help, i just ask for a level 3 tech right off the bat - thus insuring someone helping me right away.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #44
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Called and made the switch today. Got a 1 TB HD PVR and a Hd receiver for free, are renting 2 more HD receivers. Got full HD subscription for 1 year for 39.99 and 10 bucks knocked off the cost of internet from this point forward (paying $30/month now). Also signed up for shaw phone, paying 10.99 for the first year, 20.99 after that.

Overall savings after leaving Bell TV and Telus phone for a Shaw bundle, around 40 bucks a month. Worth it.

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 07-27-2010 at 05:03 PM.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #45
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
1. FYI, you can order ppv online. takes 2 mins.
2. Never had to ever pay anything when i had to have a system reinstalled. In fact, they gave me 1yr free hd and a pvr when they did it the last time.

I've been with Bell for almost 10yrs and have never had a problem with their csr and if i need tech help, i just ask for a level 3 tech right off the bat - thus insuring someone helping me right away.
The PPV online thing is a good step forward for them.

As for the no install fees I would like to know which Bell you have, my Mom has had to pay every time she gets a new box, including when she shelled out 600 bucks for a new PVR. Before she got that she went into Bell to inquire about renting a PVR and they wanted $50 just for the package you need to apply to get a rental box.

It has been 2 years since she had anything done, so maybe they changed things, but just for the way they treated my Mom I will never consider them for anything I need.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #46
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As for the no install fees I would like to know which Bell you have, my Mom has had to pay every time she gets a new box, including when she shelled out 600 bucks for a new PVR. Before she got that she went into Bell to inquire about renting a PVR and they wanted $50 just for the package you need to apply to get a rental box.

It has been 2 years since she had anything done, so maybe they changed things, but just for the way they treated my Mom I will never consider them for anything I need.
You can order PPV from your smartphone now as well.

As for the installs/fixes that is another reason to not choose Bell but for the most part things can be pretty simple to install yourself or you can usually talk them into credits if you are a long standing customer. Or at least I have when I needed it.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #47
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My sister had Bell and their PVR was messed. Every hour or so it would go to the finding satellite screen for 10 minutes then would return to normal. But it would cost them the $50 or $100 bucks (can't remember) to send someone out to fix it. I was shocked when I heard this... if Telus charged me everytime they sent someone to come out, I would be hitting thousands of dollars. And I am not kidding.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #48
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cancelled my expressvu today. Good riddance!!! Bell has to be the most incompetent company in Canada with regards to billing. I was getting an hd pvr rental for free and 40% off for the last year and felt that was too much. I had shaw phone and internet so switched over to them for tv. Called them and mentioned I was contemplating switching my internet and phone services to Telus Optik as the promotion for the next year is really cheap (even though you couldn't pay me to go back to Telus's crappy dsl). Ended up getting the following;

1. Shaw phone basic Call ID and Call waiting, free long distance in Canada and USA.
2. Hi speed extreme
3. Free 500GB HD PVR rental and all channels including HD plus

For the low monthly price of $84.95 for the next 12 months. All you have to do is mention Telus Optik.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #49
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I just threatened to cancel, pretty simple. the last 4 years I've only had to pay around 65 a month for 11 theme packs, movies and hd plus a rental. I love retentions!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #50
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:

1) Ordering pay per view if you don't have a land line phone. You can't do it through the PVR and need to call in like it is 1995. It wouldn't be that bad, except the phone system is near unusable. I once sat for 2 hours trying to order a pay per view..
Slightly ironic point bolded; Bell has the option to plug in an ethernet cable now. With this modern feature you can now order PPVs, plus you can control the PVR from any computer or your smart phone.

It isn't something I use often, but when I get a text from the other half asking if I remembered to set the PVR like she asked me to (as her show starts in 5 minutes), I can say "of course I did."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #51
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Slightly ironic point bolded; Bell has the option to plug in an ethernet cable now. With this modern feature you can now order PPVs, plus you can control the PVR from any computer or your smart phone.

It isn't something I use often, but when I get a text from the other half asking if I remembered to set the PVR like she asked me to (as her show starts in 5 minutes), I can say "of course I did."
With my computer, I don't even have to plug in the ethernet cable to my PVR to order or set timers.

I've thought of moving to another provider at times because Bell billing sucks but I haven't had any problems in a long while and I really like my 9242 PVR. It's the best in Canada.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #52
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm really wanting the 9252 ....
Mod Edit- removed pic
It's currently being tested with limited installations within Ontario, i guess there has been some kinks with the dish version and they are trying to iron them out.

the features just blow me away http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers...s/default.aspx

Last edited by ken0042; 07-29-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Picture was linked without permission; host changed it
Old 07-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #53
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Bell 30% discount with an almost free HD box ran out so I just phoned them up. They aren't giving the 30% anymore but I did get 20% off, so it's not bad.

Also Bell has a new HD channel. It's channel 1933 and it's 3D. So all you'll get on most TVs is a split screen. So far all I see is scenery (looks like Haida war canoes) but it's a start and maybe they'll show other events soon. I want to watch hockey in 3D.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #54
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You must need glasses for this 3d ?
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #55
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
You must need glasses for this 3d ?
3D glasses and a 3D TV.

I don't have either so all I see is two identical pictures, side by each.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #56
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
CSR roulette can be amazing. We just called Shaw last month telling them we were considering going to Telus because of a better deal...

We ended up with:

Free 500GB HDPVR for a year, All cable tiers, all digital tiers, all HD tiers, Shaw home phone, Shaw Xtreme Internet, all for $85/month for a year.
WTF, I pay $220 per month for the same thing, and I own all my boxes!!!!!!!!!!
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #57
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow... Bell just ponied up. dropped my bill from 155/month to 95.

Threatening to leave works...Actually leaving works better. Got a 4th reciever with install at no cost as well.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #58
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Even though OP has already switched, I will give my input

Other then some sat connection issues, I much preferred Bell's technology. My biggest issue is the channel guide. With Bell, I get just my new episodes recorded. With Shaw, I randomly get two year old shows because they don't care as much about their program guide, so the PVR records more of what I don't want.

And the Bell PVR technically shuts off even when it's recording. Which is great when using a Harmony remote. The Shaw PVR gets out of sync when I go to turn it back on.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote