Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing I wish that PSN or PS3 had were wired headsets. I can't stand the headsets or bluetooth crap on PS3. Sounds like garbage.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #22
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
If you mean "In terms of playing games" the 360 is superior. There really is no debate, it is a proven fact.

I am surprised by how many people are switching from the 360 to PS3, I have owned a PS3 since launch and an xbox for close to 4 years and the 360 is way better when it comes to gaming.
Some people don't get the concept of 'to each their own'....

XBL seems to have a lot, but the PSN selection seems pretty good. Again, depends on your tastes.
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't argue with fanboi Justin.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #24
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an observation, most games that come out on both the XBOX 360 and the PS3 are usually quite comparable unless you REALLY want to find a microscopic dust particle. However, when they do compare poorly, it's usually the PS3 that eats it (eg. Orange Box, Bayonetta, Lost Planet, Red Dead Redemption, etc.) Notable exception of course: Final Fantasy XIII totally better on PS3.

And of course this excludes the discussion about exclusives.

The whole console system fanboy is rather silly in the end. At least from somebody that is lucky enough to have a hooked up ps3, xbox 360, wii, n64, etc. and doesn't care about fanboyisms.

Oh, and yes - Uncharted is amazing. Absolutely totally freaking deserved game of the year.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #25
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you mean "In terms of playing games" the 360 is superior. There really is no debate, it is a proven fact.

I am surprised by how many people are switching from the 360 to PS3, I have owned a PS3 since launch and an xbox for close to 4 years and the 360 is way better when it comes to gaming.
No, its not a proven fact.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 AM   #26
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Just an observation, most games that come out on both the XBOX 360 and the PS3 are usually quite comparable unless you REALLY want to find a microscopic dust particle. However, when they do compare poorly, it's usually the PS3 that eats it (eg. Orange Box, Bayonetta, Lost Planet, Red Dead Redemption, etc.) Notable exception of course: Final Fantasy XIII totally better on PS3.

And of course this excludes the discussion about exclusives.
That's just lazy developers not optimizing the PS3 versions of those games.

I find both systems have great games and are fairly equal when it comes to game playing ability. Xbox Live is superior to PSN but PSN is free so I have no complaints there. You do get the Windows Media Center extender on the 360 and I used that all the time before I had a PVR. Both consoles have ways of streaming media from a PC but I find the PS3 implementation to be far superior to the 360. Sure you can get Orb or TVersity to stream to the Xbox but so far nothing has been as simple and seamless as PS3 Media Server.

If you are going strictly for a game console then it is a toss up. It depends on what systems your friends have and what exclusives you are interested in. The Xbox has great games and is cheaper but if you want to play online then 2 years of Live negates the up front savings. If you want a console that has great games but you are also interested in a device that plays Blu-Ray movies and can also be a fairly simple to use but powerful media device then the PS3 is right up your alley.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:13 AM   #27
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
And a good PC smokes both of 'em, as well as Macs. Game, set, match.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 AM   #28
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
And a good PC smokes both of 'em, as well as Macs. Game, set, match.

I always find this argument to be silly. A PC is not a console. Why does it even come up in 360 vs PS3 arguments?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #29
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well here is pretty much the side of it ... I just paid 299 for a gaming system and I get the old ass f'in A/v cables to hook it up with! Just Yellow , White, Red. PS3, couldnt even include the hi-def components with the Red/Green/Blue? Is this a ploy to get me to buy their 60 dollar HDMI cable?
I mean really 299 for the system, 50 bucks for a headset, 60 bucks for a game, 50 bucks for another controller , all that and I can the crappy A/V cables. I mean I bought the Xbox 360 when it came out in what 2005 or 2006 and it (the RGB A/v cables) was included then.... Very crappy of you Sony.

I cant remember the last time I used just yellow for the video , I am lucky my newer tv still has the option on the back of it. It actually makes the game play look horrible IMO.... Ughh.. I bet Blu-Ray will look great with A.v cables eh?

I guess if this is my only complaint , its not so bad. I love the PS3 so far but miss the game graphics quality of my Xbox as of now.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #30
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick, Go to Wal-Mart and buy a cheap $20 HDMI cable and you're set. Just you have to set up in the PS3 that you want it on HDMI cable not components.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #31
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Nick, Go to Wal-Mart and buy a cheap $20 HDMI cable and you're set. Just you have to set up in the PS3 that you want it on HDMI cable not components.
Yeah I feel but ya but its not the point. I mean this is supposed to be Next gen gaming and the hoopla about having great graphics and a blu-ray and they toss in this ty A/v cable , the same ones I used when I had a VCR ... I know they want you to buy their HDMI so they can make money, but I am not going too..... GREEDY BASTIDS
Old 07-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #32
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Yeah I feel but ya but its not the point. I mean this is supposed to be Next gen gaming and the hoopla about having great graphics and a blu-ray and they toss in this ty A/v cable , the same ones I used when I had a VCR ... I know they want you to buy their HDMI so they can make money, but I am not going too..... GREEDY BASTIDS

Yes. That is a pain in the arse. I understand that they want to ship with a connection that everyone has. It is still no excuse though. Both the Xbox and PS3 should have come with component, composite and HDMI cables. They both claim to be HD systems out of the box but they come with cables that can only do 480i.

Composite (Yellow for Video, Red and White for Audio) cables were one step up from RF adapters back in the NES and Sega master System days (85-86) Even those systems had support for it. There is no reason why HD consoles 20-25 years later only ship with a connection that is one step above the old RF switch.

You should get an HDMI cable for your PS3. Don't go for the expensive ones though. The markup on HDMI cables is pure insanity. 10-20 bucks for an HDMI cable is all you need to spend. Don't go to the TV section of a store but browse the computer section. The markups are less there. Or look online for a cheap cable.

(Edit)
Ah yes. I remember my VCR from 1980 having composite connections...yay for MS and Sony for only including connections that are at least 30 years old.

Maybe the PS4 and NeXtbox can ship with this.

Last edited by Roast Beef; 07-25-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #33
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Add me on PSN- goflamesgo89.

Yeah, I believe for gaming alone, the 360 likely is better, with a greater selection of games. However, because of the free online play and the multimedia capabilities, I really like my Playstation. The catalogue of PS3 games is growing, too.

One thing is that the PS3 Web Browser supports Flash, so you can use that to watch streaming video- a great way to catch up on TV shows.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #34
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh yeah I forgot. My ID is "RoastBeefDinner" Just sent friend requests to those who gave their usernames in this thread.

Last edited by Roast Beef; 07-25-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #35
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I can prove that technically, both Xboxes and PS3s are the pretty much the equivalent of crappy computers with 5 year old technology
Well that's not so hard since they both came out around 5 years ago...
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #36
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow. i still can't believe that it took 3 broken 360s for you to do the switch.

Only microsoft would think they could get away but shipping a machine with a 70% failure rate. It's not an operating system! hehe
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #37
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Wow. i still can't believe that it took 3 broken 360s for you to do the switch.

Only microsoft would think they could get away but shipping a machine with a 70% failure rate. It's not an operating system! hehe
Yeah and here is a kick in the shorts... When my machines broke, they didnt send me a new machine... NOOOOOO they just sent me a refurbished one. So I argue with them , why is it that you send me a refurb'ed one and the same problems keep happening. Do you see a pattern here? I mean when I bought mine it was 400 bucks . Now they are trying to milk me for an extra 100 dollars, bc tall the games I own.. Im pretty vested in it. I even offered this time just to give they sent out a faulty unit. Plus lets see 4 yrs of live @ 60 bucks , plus the hem 100 bucks up front and they could send me the newest system that doesnt have any problems .... yet

Surprise Surprise , they wouldnt do it .... Oh well I am digging the PS3 ,even tho its looks off when not in HD but I will get that fixed!!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #38
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's crappy that so many 360 units went kaput.

Never had a problem with them.
I gave my launch 360 to my brother because I got a newer 360 with hdmi as part of a TV purchase bundle.

My friend has a launch 360 and a halo edition and both of them are going strong as well.
I have never met anyone who has gotten the RROD

All consoles are still working.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #39
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
It's crappy that so many 360 units went kaput.

Never had a problem with them.
I gave my launch 360 to my brother because I got a newer 360 with hdmi as part of a TV purchase bundle.

My friend has a launch 360 and a halo edition and both of them are going strong as well.
I have never met anyone who has gotten the RROD

All consoles are still working.
They Must have just screwed us Americans!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #40
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
They Must have just screwed us Americans!
Nah. I have had 3 RRODs... but Microsoft has always been really good about it so I have no issue really.

My buddy has had 1 RROD as well.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote