Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default The Metal Thread

seems like we have a few people here into heavier music, figured a thread to talk about new releases and maybe share new finds would be nice. i was planning to put single song samples of groups on a place like yousendit.com, but wasn't sure how the mods would like that so for now i'll just stick to official samples from the band sites. here are a few bands that i've recently gotten into

Dragonforce - Through The Fire And Flames

Power/Prog metal, clean sung vocals and VERY fast guitar work, this is the lead single from their new album Inhuman Rampage. fans of classic metal like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, or progressive acts like Dream Theater might want to check these guys out

Hammers of Misfortune - The Locust Years

link goes to a sample page for their latest album. they play an eccentric brand of metal that is very hard to describe, best being i guess is to take the classic folk melodies of Jethro Tull and Journey and mix them with a heavy Sabbath inspired sound with the oddball styling of Clutch thrown on top. deffinetly check out the song Trot Out The Dead, one of the best songs i've heard all year

Place of Skulls

fans of true Black Sabbath inspired metal (i.e. Corrosion of Conformity) should defineitly check these guys out. the first song on thier myspace page Prisoner's Creed is the lead track from the new album The Black Is Never Far and is a great song to start with

Protest The Hero

fast, punk infused metal with a slight emo twist (it's not bad, i swear). think of a much heavier version of Coheed And Cambria. what impressed me the most about these guys is for a band of kids all in their teens, they're all insanely talented musicians. i'm very interested in seeing how they develop their sound in years to come
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Protest The Hero is one of my favorite band right now - some very talented guys putting out very innovative music for the genre. I would highly recommend it for anyone who likes punk, hardcore, or metal.

For recommendations I'd have to suggest Edge of Sanity first and foremost. If you can find either Crimson or Crimson II (both are seperate albums) buy them immediately. Two albums of amazing metal (think In Flames/Dark Tranquillity) each containing one 40+ minute song. The original Crimson is one of the most ground-breaking metal albums of the 90's.

I've been listening to Kataklysm quite a bit recently. Solid metal with definite hardcore influences.

Trivium is another band I'd recommend - very similar to Shadow's Fall and to a lesser extent Killswitch Engage (both of which are great bands as well)
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:18 AM   #4
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

hey anthony speaking of Canadian metal, have you heard the latest Annihilator? very quality, one of my top albums for last year. Jeff Waters is a guitar god
Old 08-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i really enjoyed the Dragonforce song, something new, really fast with an old metal twist

agreed that protest the hero is very very very good, thats the kind of stuff that gets me going

some hardcore punk bands:

Stretch Armstrong
http://www.stretcharmstrong.net/
http://www.myspace.com/stretcharmstrong
great stuff, one of my all time favorite CDs is "A Revolutrion Transmission"

Sick of it All
http://www.sickofitall.com/index2.php
http://www.myspace.com/sickofitallny
new york city hardcore, i remember listening to this stuff years ago and it blew my mind
Old 08-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Opeth and Lamb of God are my two favourites. Especially Opeth.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Had to get in on this one! Thanks for posting some bands guys - I am still listening to older stuff.

Meshuggah is my fave still! And I have been checking out Children of Bodom lately.

I used to play in a couple bands out at the coast here. One called Tractor and we used to share a jam room with Strapping as well as a couple of others like Jar ( later became Flybanger ) and Zimmers Hole. Some of you from here may have heard of them!

Anyway

To check out a couple samples of Tractor go to http://brutalmusic.com/Listen/Listen.htm

A couple of the guys are still working on stuff but there hasnt been much going on for a while I think.

Another one I was in for years was Random Damage - speaking of Annihilator - Ray Hartman (Annihilator drummer) was our drummer in Random Damage for a few years! The best drummer I have ever seen! The guy is a machine!

I have been out of the music for several years now as I have a family etc. but I got to say it was fun for a while and I got to get a couple cd's out there and probably played a couple hundred shows over the years!

Thanks guys .. dont forget to check the Tractor samples!

Last edited by flame^thrower; 08-05-2006 at 12:27 PM.
flame^thrower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles 'nuf said.

(in the interests of disclosure, I went to school with, and am still friends with, President/CEO Metal Tim)
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame^thrower
And I have been checking out Children of Bodom lately.
The first 3 albums Kalmah put out are very similar to COB's style. If you haven't checked them out, I reccomend you do!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are a couple of suggestions although I will admit that these are going to be 'tame' in comparison to some of the other stuff listed in this thread.

Soulbender

Led by Queensryche guitarist Michael Wilton, he got this project going to express his darker side. It's great. I've had the CD for a couple of years before they ever had a page on myspace. All of the songs are good IMHO, but check out the anti-intolerance anthem "Samsara". Supposedly a follow up album is due out sometime soon.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=15304045

Sticking with the Queensryche side project theme I'll introduce you to Slave to the System. You may have actually heard them on the radio recently as they are finally starting to get some airplay three years after the CD was released. The band features Queensryche drummer Scott Rockenfield, former 'Ryche guitarist and producer extraordinaire Kelly Gray and Brother Cane (great underrated band) alums Roman Glick and Damon Johnson. There are 4 songs on their myspace page, good ones. There are at least 2 on the CD that are better than any of them IMHO. Of these 4 I'd reccomend Stigmata first.

http://www.myspace.com/slavettsystem

Finally, while it probably doesn't fall with in the genre of metal at this point, Eagles of Death Metal gets a huge thumbs up from me. Everything Josh Homme touches is freaking brilliant.

http://www.eaglesofdeathmetal.net/index.php?p=audvid

This link has various video versions of a few of their songs.

Of the stuff mentioned in this thread, I really dug A Place of Skulls. I would absolutely adore Opeth if they had no vocals. I simply can't stand the vocals. Outstanding music, but the vocals ruin it for me.

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 08-05-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Displaced Flames fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan
I simply can't stand the vocals.
That's like me with SOAD. I dont think the sound is that bad but the vocals completely ruin them for me.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno
That's like me with SOAD. I dont think the sound is that bad but the vocals completely ruin them for me.
Same here. I kind of like them musically, but the vocals are so insane I can't handle it. The vocals in Opeth are the really low, growling type. Can't take it.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I caught Protest the hero when I saw their video and there was actually a guitar solo with tapping riffs.

Very cool.
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:25 PM   #14
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan
Same here. I kind of like them musically, but the vocals are so insane I can't handle it. The vocals in Opeth are the really low, growling type. Can't take it.
totally agree. The instruments are great for both bands. For some reason, I can handle Tom Araya from Slayer, but not many others.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCook
The first 3 albums Kalmah put out are very similar to COB's style. If you haven't checked them out, I reccomend you do!
Thank you for that - I will definitely check them out!
flame^thrower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #16
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Saw a few more metal heads and thought I'd bump this thread.

Phaneuf3 posted in the music video thread about Cannibal Corpse. I liked their latest, Kill, but haven't really found anything great from their older material, then again, the sound quality is a big difference, so its hard to give things a full listen.

Kataklysm's In the Arms of Devastation is pretty impressive too - good Canadian band.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #17
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

ok - bumping this thread so i can add some good content later - too tired tonight....

until then, support some of your fine local acts.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=27603561
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:55 PM   #18
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Dying Fetus - Grotesque Impalement is my favourite song of the moment.

Every once and a while a good ridiculously hard death metal phase is good! I normally listen to much softer metal, but my collection ranges from the entire spectrum that is metal.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #19
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

great new band called Seemless, featuring members of Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, and Overcast, make an album that sounds nothing like any of them. sound is best described as something of a mix of Corrosion of Conformity and Soundgarden

Seemless - Numb
Old 11-24-2006, 01:23 AM   #20
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought "Oooh this will be an interesting thread" because I like metal... I don't recognize a single band listed in this thread.... I guess I'm not really all that into metal like I thought I was... at least I'm not with the times anymore.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote