Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #61
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I could see Bylsma in Vancouver next year.
That would be awesome
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #62
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

and yet Chevy is surely about to get an extension. Incredible watching other teams not accept failure. I'm not surprised either went; the Sabres took a baffling step backwards.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #63
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
and yet Chevy is surely about to get an extension. Incredible watching other teams not accept failure. I'm not surprised either went; the Sabres took a baffling step backwards.
I am not a fan of the Jets at all but unlike Oilers and Canucks fans I do feel for Jets fans. They deserve better than the organization trotting out the same guys year in, year out that didn't get the job done the year before. Drafting under Chevy has been great but really that is the only and I mean only thing he's got to hang his hat on outside of a couple of decent trade returns and there has to be some organizational success sooner than later.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #64
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
In what way? I think he did literally everything possible to launch that team headfirst into a rebuild. Compare that to what the Canucks have done, dipping their toes in the water. He accumulated a ton of picks and young players, tanked at the right time (can't help the lottery balls), and ended up with a whole bunch of good young pieces. What else can you do as a GM? If your scouting department can't turn the picks into assets, if your coaching staff and AHL pipeline can't develop your assets into players, if your coach can't get the most out of the players you've got... how does that get laid at Murray's feet?

And it's too soon to say that they even have a problem there. Eichel was hurt this year. When he was healthy, he murdered. See the Oilers last year without McDavid vs. this year.

Honestly, after what he did there, any rebuilding franchise should be considering him.
Murray would ultimately be responsible. Murray provides the parameters as to what type of prospects to draft, hires the scouting staff, hires the AHL coach, hires all the development staff, etc. The GM is ultimately responsible for how the prospects perform.

With that being said, I have always had the opinion that it is very difficult for fans to see what is going on in those areas, and we are not privy to the changes being made. Every change should take a few years to reap the benefits, so we don't know. For instance, Darryl Sutter made quite a few changes and identified traits in prospects that the Flames should draft that is still currently used today, but he is almost universally regarded as a 'bad drafting GM'.

I just think that Buffalo had a disappointing season in retrospect, and didn't improve enough. On top of this, their golden boy Eichel doesn't seem happy. Sometimes you have to make a change.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #65
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I am not a fan of the Jets at all but unlike Oilers and Canucks fans I do feel for Jets fans. They deserve better than the organization trotting out the same guys year in, year out that didn't get the job done the year before. Drafting under Chevy has been great but really that is the only and I mean only thing he's got to hang his hat on outside of a couple of decent trade returns and there has to be some organizational success sooner than later.
But that's the only way the Jets can build the roster. They're an internal cap team, and free agents are never going to want to play in Winnipeg anyway. So draft and develop is their program. And ownership knows that.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #66
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got to think Futa is a top candidate. Key architect in LA gets passed over for feel good ex players.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #67
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Got to think Futa is a top candidate. Key architect in LA gets passed over for feel good ex players.
Futa was just promoted in LA right after the Lombardi firing.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #68
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But that's the only way the Jets can build the roster. They're an internal cap team, and free agents are never going to want to play in Winnipeg anyway. So draft and develop is their program. And ownership knows that.
High level free agents, sure. But Chevy can still:
-Draft
-Trade
-Sign UFA/RFA's who aren't being courted by the Torontos and New Yorks of the NHL
-Make waiver signings

He's only been able to hang his hat on the drafting aspect, which is the most hands off job of a GM. He's basically listened to his scouts and fluked his way into Laine. Terrible GM.

Anyways. Dont want to derail a Sabres thread. Got to think Buffalo will move fast, dont want to be without a GM with all the important dates coming up

Last edited by White Out 403; 04-20-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: .
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #69
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird timing right after the stuff comes out about Eichel not being willing to re-sign and then firing these guys the next day. Just makes it so easy to pin this on Eichel.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #70
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Weird timing right after the stuff comes out about Eichel not being willing to re-sign and then firing these guys the next day. Just makes it so easy to pin this on Eichel.
Word has it the owner wanted the coach fired, the GM resisted so owner fired both.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #71
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Really cleaning house... wouldn't it be advisable to keep some of these guys on until after the expansion draft, draft, and free agency? Or at least until a new GM is hired?

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
BUF also let go of Director of Amateur Scouting Greg Royce and Director of Pro Scouting Rob Murphy. Terry Pegula addresses media tomorrow
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #72
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Now would be a good time to re-hire Rex Ryan, but this time as GM of the Sabres.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #73
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I like Conroy, but putting him in the position of GM just seems like a huge disaster in the waiting. As long as the Flames retain Treliving, losing Conroy to another team would only be a minor loss.
Curious to why Conroy would be a disaster?

He's shadowed two very good GMs and has been working with Burkie as well. I'd be shocked if he isn't climbing up the totem pole in his career really quick.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #74
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That team is going nowhere with a meddlesome owner. We see it over and over and over again in pro sports.

Sabres fans were so excited when they got a money man to take over the team willing to spend, but they were better off budgeting with Regier running the show. They drafted and developed and had a competitive team most years, then Pegula took over and all of a sudden Regier started making idiotic signings like the Erhoff and Leno deals, team fails miserably and he gets canned. Been a disaster ever since. Seems like an organization that will continue to take steps forward and then steps back because the strings are being pulled by a rich guy through a "yes man" and they'll continue to do dumb stuff just when it looks like they are about to turn the corner.

Look at Florida, and the bullcrap their owner pulled last off season.

This is exactly the road I'm nervous the Flames will go down if they continue to let Ken King stick his nose in hockey ops and end up losing Burke and Treliving.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #75
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Certainly in the case of Buffalo ending up with Eichel instead of McDavid, and the Leafs getting Matthews. But Toronto also drafted Nylander, Marner, etc., and have the likes of Kadri and JVR while Buffalo has Kane.
Bit of a one-sided analysis there. BUF has Ristolainen, Reinhart, O'Reilly, a Nylander of their own, Girgensons, etc.

BUF has one of the better young cores in the league IMO. Right up there with TOR, EDM, CGY, WPG.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote